Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


My Windows 9 predictions IF Windows 8 is a success...

  1. #31


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I'm not even thinking of Windows 9, I want to see what Windows 7 SP2 will look like.

    Jim
    Hi there
    Got some bad news for you I'm afraid.

    W7 Sp2 was delayed (perhaps indefinitely) to facilitate launching of W8.

    However don't give up -- look at XP --Ms finally released an excellent SP3 service pack --even though they insisted that XP would be dead and buried at the time (now it's STILL available for support for about another year !!). I'm sure W7 will have service packs --Any serious BUSINESS or corporation trying to use W8 will just be PLAIN STUPID BONKERS.

    Home use is another thing -- but just imagine loads of I.T support people trying to sort out simple navigation problems with W8 --especially when someone gets stuck in a Metro screen without any idea how to get back to the desktop.

    People on these Forums are reasonably computer literate - but try and imagine a typical office where people are doing say basic HR, Accounts payable and Accounts receivable.

    A 30 - 60 minute "Telephone Hell Call center" operation to an off shored facility say India or The Philippines won't endear the system to users either - navigating automatic telephone call center stuff is almost as bad as the W8 problem they would be trying to fix.

    Cheers
    jimbo

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Speaking of service packs, I predict the end of those. If you look at the past with Windows, it used to be that an OS would have several SPs. There were several for 95 (though they weren't called that, and it wasn't online I believe), 98 even had a 2.0 version, 2000 had some, xp had three, vista has had two, 7 has one so far, and now we're at 8. I bet instead of the normal service packs where it's just fixing a bunch of code errors and not much else, there might even be UI enhancements here and there, like maybe Windows 8.5? Microsoft might keep Windows development at two year intervals as to keep the product line fresh and to keep it in sync with Windows Phone. So yeah, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, then a year later Windows 8.5 and WP 8.5, then a year later Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 51
    Windows 8 RP x64


    No worries, I'll just use Windows 7 and switch to Mac later on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    jyroo0 and then use Windows 8 on that Mac eh? YOU were aware Apple isn't in the operating system game anymore, RIGHT?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 38
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    jyroo0 and then use Windows 8 on that Mac eh? YOU were aware Apple isn't in the operating system game anymore, RIGHT?



    May be Apple would be the first company to say goodbye to their desktop PCs which they call Macs. But its possible that Apple may wish to milk its desktop operating system by licensing it to OEMs and enthsuasts/hobbyists who wish to continue with the desktop/laptop PCs. People would be glad to use OS X on their machines and it would be a good opportunity for OEMs as well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 51
    Windows 8 RP x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    jyroo0 and then use Windows 8 on that Mac eh? YOU were aware Apple isn't in the operating system game anymore, RIGHT?
    Sorry, I meant "If Windows 9 is something like that, I would use mac"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Speaking of service packs, I predict the end of those. If you look at the past with Windows, it used to be that an OS would have several SPs. There were several for 95 (though they weren't called that, and it wasn't online I believe), 98 even had a 2.0 version, 2000 had some, xp had three, vista has had two, 7 has one so far, and now we're at 8. I bet instead of the normal service packs where it's just fixing a bunch of code errors and not much else, there might even be UI enhancements here and there, like maybe Windows 8.5? Microsoft might keep Windows development at two year intervals as to keep the product line fresh and to keep it in sync with Windows Phone. So yeah, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, then a year later Windows 8.5 and WP 8.5, then a year later Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9.
    I will disagree. SP1 for Windows 7 had nearly 200 updates and Hot Fixes. Less then half were offered through Windows Update. There have been 120+ updates since SP1 and who knows how many Hot Fixes. With the predicted failure of Windows 8 and support for Windows 7 for 8 more years (2020) we should see at least SP2 and maybe SP3 depending on how many more security updates are needed. With support for XP going away and customers upgrading to Windows 7 instead of Windows 8, I look for Windows 7 SP2 to come out soon to make the transfer to Windows 7 a lot easier.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Speaking of service packs, I predict the end of those.
    Well, if you are going to push out all new versions every 3 years, you won't see many service packs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Oh, thought of one. If the Desktop does remain in use with Windows 9, right click context menu will probably see an imminent lack of use. I just thought right now that developers, instead of adding context menu entries, they can add those entries onto the Ribbon in Explorer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 38
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Oh, thought of one. If the Desktop does remain in use with Windows 9, right click context menu will probably see an imminent lack of use. I just thought right now that developers, instead of adding context menu entries, they can add those entries onto the Ribbon in Explorer.


    Cokie,

    How much possibility you think about the desktop remaining in Windows 9 or 10? Too much or too little?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
My Windows 9 predictions IF Windows 8 is a success...
Related Threads
A tale of Windows store success: the developer making $30k a month - Neowin "But, if you were a developer and did believe in Microsoft's vision for the OS, you could have cashed in. One developer, Kevin Ashley, has written up his story about how he is making $30,000 a month in the Windows Store....
*Windows 8 will be a success with younger people than older people statistically speaking, although many older people will enjoy it. I've been waiting to post this for a month or so now, as we're approaching October's Windows treats. And as that happens, debates will be spurred again. I offer my...
Ballmer: There's no doubt Windows 8 will be a success - Technology on NBCNews.com
Windows 8 RTM Success? in General Support
Okay, So I have been going back and forth about Windows 8 since March when they had the Consumer Preview out. It never really grabbed my attention since it was so buggy and I didn't care since I had Windows 7. But, today I installed the RTM Version from TechNet to give it a crack one last time....
A couple days ago, I used my Windows To Go USB drive on my friend's gaming laptop. When I initially showed him Windows 8, he didn't like it and didn't care for it. He's the gamer type, and by gamer type, I mean a Desktop with LITERALLY the ENTIRE screen full of little icons for games from DOS to...
Predictions about Windows 8 in General Support
10 predictions for Windows 8 | TechRepublic
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook