Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Its Not really that bad!!

  1. #11


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Linux, POSH!! If people wanted to go to Linux, they had a whole decade to do so as the last decade wasn't a good one for the Windows brand, like vista for example. Even though that was the roughest patch ever for Microsoft, people just stuck to xp, they didn't go to Linux and they didn't when upgrading to Windows 7. There isn't anything about Windows 8 that would constitute a whole up rooting of a whole ton of users' knowledge of how to use an OS and throw it down the drain. The UI shift from Windows to a variant of Linux would be far TOO much than what people claim from a previous version of Windows to 8.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    I have played with a couple Linux distributions off and on but never found a reason to settle in to regular use of any of them. Maybe it's a lack of "familiar" applications or jts a general lack of familiarity with Linux, but I also imagine most of the third-paty software I run would not run on Linux anyway.

    I'll keep plugging away with Linux just to familiarize myself a little more with it, but beyond that I don't think I'll ever do more than run the occasional Linux VM and see what I can do with it. We have a few Linux systems at work but I don't use or manage them, and they're far outnumbered by Windows machines.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Heck of a lot of people using Linux on their phones.

    They seem to like it.

    That is what is different over the last few years.

    OEM's are doing ok selling phones with Linux. Much better than sales than windows phones.

    Of course, that is Linux specially tailored for the average user.

    Not a big jump to selling larger devices with more capable Linux based o/s.


    Now we also have smartphones and great value mini tablets like Nexus - they may all a lot of people need.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Linux, POSH!! If people wanted to go to Linux, they had a whole decade to do so as the last decade wasn't a good one for the Windows brand, like vista for example.
    In the last decade, they had XP, Vista and 7. 2 of the 3 were solid, and Vista was really only rough at launch, by time SP1 came out and 3rd parties had time to get drives and such, it was pretty solid too. I don't really think the past 10 years have been that bad for MS at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Even though that was the roughest patch ever for Microsoft, people just stuck to xp, they didn't go to Linux and they didn't when upgrading to Windows 7.
    Most computer owners simply use whatever was on their machine when they bought it. Many don't upgrade anyways, and even fewer will go backwards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    There isn't anything about Windows 8 that would constitute a whole up rooting of a whole ton of users' knowledge of how to use an OS and throw it down the drain. The UI shift from Windows to a variant of Linux would be far TOO much than what people claim from a previous version of Windows to 8.
    Agreed. When people buy a new computer that comes with Windows 8, they will either love it, or complain and learn to deal with it...but overwhelmingly they will stick with it. Many honestly don't truly even realize they could get rid of it if they wanted to. To them, that is their computer and that is what it has, how it works, etc. They are in for the long haul.

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    I have played with a couple Linux distributions off and on but never found a reason to settle in to regular use of any of them. Maybe it's a lack of "familiar" applications or jts a general lack of familiarity with Linux, but I also imagine most of the third-paty software I run would not run on Linux anyway.
    It can be a challenge, and there are tons of distros, each catering to specific needs. You are right, many of your "familiar" applications might not have a Linux version. If you are a gaming person, you will find gaming support is just not there for the popular common games. And most 3rd party peripherals are simply not designed, nor provided with drivers for Linux as the vendors simply don't have a need to provide them. So, many would struggle getting their stuff to work, and they sure as heck won't find a section of the user guide dedicated to getting it working in their particular distro of choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    I'll keep plugging away with Linux just to familiarize myself a little more with it, but beyond that I don't think I'll ever do more than run the occasional Linux VM and see what I can do with it. We have a few Linux systems at work but I don't use or manage them, and they're far outnumbered by Windows machines.
    It's great to know a different system, and some of the knowledge is transferrable. It's great to know what other systems can and cannot do. Opens your eyes sometimes to what might be possible elsewhere. But unless you work in a server room, you likely may never see much reason to use or know Linux.

    At my shop, we are all Windows based on the desktop. But in the server room, we have far more Linux machines than Windows machines.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Quote Originally Posted by McRuff View Post
    The original poster may very well be correct. Maybe Windows 8 is really what people want.

    I have been thinking about it and decided that I am totally out of touch. I am turning into a grumpy old man. Metro makes absolutely no sense to me. But then neither does Facebook, Reality TV or the fascination with Celebrities.

    So I am going to put my head back in the sand and wait for Windows 9.
    The sad thing is that he may be correct for a majority of home users, and those of us that do more, SO MUCH MORE, are going to suffer for it. (This is the Tragedy of the Commons)

    This playing to the lowest common denominator and ignoring everyone else may seem like a good short term idea but it's going to kill MS in the long run. Windows today is virtually everything to virtually everybody. If it is destined to become just yet another toy OS like Android, iOS, Chrome OS, Firefox OS or any of the others, Windows and Microsoft will quickly become completely irrelevant in a vast sea of sameness.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    It's great to know a different system, and some of the knowledge is transferrable. It's great to know what other systems can and cannot do. Opens your eyes sometimes to what might be possible elsewhere. But unless you work in a server room, you likely may never see much reason to use or know Linux.

    At my shop, we are all Windows based on the desktop. But in the server room, we have far more Linux machines than Windows machines.
    I work on servers, and we run Windows on nearly all of them. There are a few specialized systems running Linux, but only a few.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McRuff View Post
    The original poster may very well be correct. Maybe Windows 8 is really what people want.

    I have been thinking about it and decided that I am totally out of touch. I am turning into a grumpy old man. Metro makes absolutely no sense to me. But then neither does Facebook, Reality TV or the fascination with Celebrities.

    So I am going to put my head back in the sand and wait for Windows 9.
    The sad thing is that he may be correct for a majority of home users, and those of us that do more, SO MUCH MORE, are going to suffer for it. (This is the Tragedy of the Commons)

    This playing to the lowest common denominator and ignoring everyone else may seem like a good short term idea but it's going to kill MS in the long run. Windows today is virtually everything to virtually everybody. If it is destined to become just yet another toy OS like Android, iOS, Chrome OS, Firefox OS or any of the others, Windows and Microsoft will quickly become completely irrelevant in a vast sea of sameness.
    The really sad truth is that the PRO version of Windows 8 includes the same dumbing down that the home version includes. A great compromise for Microsoft would be to metro-ize the home version but include choice in the pro version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    I work on servers, and we run Windows on nearly all of them. There are a few specialized systems running Linux, but only a few.
    We have some domain controllers, some file servers, some SQL servers, a sharepoint server, exchange server. But we use Linux to run most of our web products, using tools like MySQL, Apache, Tomcat, Java, etc. We also run various services like our FTP server and some of our DNS servers on Linux as well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    I think there IS an agenda by the elite globalists and their corporate machines to FORCE such content for whatever reasons they have. It sure does seem that the end result is a dumbed down general populace.
    Agreed.
    The "Powers that be" (Government and Corporations) don't like the fact that ordinary people can do what they like with their computers (not what they are told to do).

    They really hate the fact that people can organise protests against them using (shudder) Facebook or Twitter.

    IMO, one of the big reasons for all of this "Cloud" hype is, what you do can be monitored and if you don't "tow the line" you can be cut off.
    The other reason is gouging the consumer for bigger profits.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Linux, POSH!! If people wanted to go to Linux, they had a whole decade to do so as the last decade wasn't a good one for the Windows brand, like vista for example. Even though that was the roughest patch ever for Microsoft, people just stuck to xp, they didn't go to Linux and they didn't when upgrading to Windows 7.
    It might have been tough for MS, but it was a "golden era" for users (e.g. no pointless OS GUI changes).

    There was no need to swap to a Linux distro because XP worked and software makers kept churning out programs for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The UI shift from Windows to a variant of Linux would be far TOO much than what people claim from a previous version of Windows to 8.
    You can still get the desktop/menu paradigm in most Linux distros.
    Linux Mint 13 (MATE) is very similar to the "old" Windows GUI (e.g. menus, shortcuts, pinned icons).

    You also don't have to battle with 2 Control Panels, 2 GUIs and/or 2 Device Managers.

    The problem isn't the GUI, it's that people's "favourite" programs aren't available for it (e.g. Word, Outlook, various games).
    If you just surf the Internet and use web mail, there is no real difference for basic users.

    Linux distros should pose no problems for basic or advanced users.
    It does cause problems for intermediate users though.
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 01 Aug 2012 at 21:39. Reason: Additional, Layout
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    I will buy the upgrade @ $39, and use it to play around with, so I'm up to speed in the eventuality that MS restore the tradional GUI at SP1. But not as my main OS.

    I've got an expensive smartfone, but it's really wasted on me. I simply use it as a phone, with maybe the odd road map use. I have no need or desire to be "twittering away, all day", or know what color briefs some celebrity is wearing, or get an hourly updated body count in some war zone, etc, etc, ... ad nauseum!

    Many of the traditional options in previous mobile phones are not included and must be downloaded as apps, some of which you pay for. As a PC it's a joke. Try writing a word document on a screen the size of 2 match boxes, or reading a web page magnified 500% to make it readable. And hence needing 3 or 4 scrolls to read a sentence. While I do like the touch screen for text messages using a stylus, no way never on a desktop PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Its Not really that bad!!
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook