Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Even most of those who love it, have to use 3rd party apps to love it!

  1. #31


    Posts : 219
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Anyone else noticing how so much of the discussion around here is all about how to make windows 8 behave like windows 7, or is it just me?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Yeah, we saw the same discussions on Windows 7 behaving like XP, and XP behaving like 98.. I can't count all the bitching about how you can't get the classic menu in Windows 7. People eventually got used to, and liked the new menu. Same will happen here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Yeah, we saw the same discussions on Windows 7 behaving like XP, and XP behaving like 98.. I can't count all the bitching about how you can't get the classic menu in Windows 7. People eventually got used to, and liked the new menu. Same will happen here.
    The Windows 7 start vs the XP start is maybe 5% of the difference between the Windows 7 start and the Winodws 8 Start. They are not the same circumstance AT ALL.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Oklahoma
    Posts : 16
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit


    I'd like to add my 2 cents here. I was one of the ones who hated the Windows 8 interface, but as a PC tech I made myself use it in order to be able to properly inform my clients once it hit the mainstream. Still hated it. Then, one day while messing around with the RP I got a text message on my android phone and when I moved to respond to it, left the pointer in the lower left corner. Thats when it hit me....the little thumbnail popped up and thats the start button, click it and it takes me to an iphone/android like tile start menu....click the program (now called app) I need and I go right back to the desktop...just like clicking on the start menu and clicking on the program icon I needed. Takes the same amount of time and everythings its own tile! No more accidentally hitting iTunes when I meant to hit Inews! I've been a fan of Win 8 since I realized that its nothing more than my cell phone on my desktop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Quote Originally Posted by Ace38 View Post
    I'd like to add my 2 cents here. I was one of the ones who hated the Windows 8 interface, but as a PC tech I made myself use it in order to be able to properly inform my clients once it hit the mainstream. Still hated it. Then, one day while messing around with the RP I got a text message on my android phone and when I moved to respond to it, left the pointer in the lower left corner. Thats when it hit me....the little thumbnail popped up and thats the start button, click it and it takes me to an iphone/android like tile start menu....click the program (now called app) I need and I go right back to the desktop...just like clicking on the start menu and clicking on the program icon I needed. Takes the same amount of time and everythings its own tile! No more accidentally hitting iTunes when I meant to hit Inews! I've been a fan of Win 8 since I realized that its nothing more than my cell phone on my desktop.
    Yes. Microsoft has turned our desktops into phones.

    That is actually, precisely, the reason so many of us DON'T like it. My desktop is NOT a phone. I run more than one app at a time (5-15 at a time) on multiple screens with constant monitoring of multiple items.

    If all I need from my desktop was what I can do on my phone, I wouldn't have a desktop machine :/
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Oklahoma
    Posts : 16
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace38 View Post
    I'd like to add my 2 cents here. I was one of the ones who hated the Windows 8 interface, but as a PC tech I made myself use it in order to be able to properly inform my clients once it hit the mainstream. Still hated it. Then, one day while messing around with the RP I got a text message on my android phone and when I moved to respond to it, left the pointer in the lower left corner. Thats when it hit me....the little thumbnail popped up and thats the start button, click it and it takes me to an iphone/android like tile start menu....click the program (now called app) I need and I go right back to the desktop...just like clicking on the start menu and clicking on the program icon I needed. Takes the same amount of time and everythings its own tile! No more accidentally hitting iTunes when I meant to hit Inews! I've been a fan of Win 8 since I realized that its nothing more than my cell phone on my desktop.
    Yes. Microsoft has turned our desktops into phones.

    That is actually, precisely, the reason so many of us DON'T like it. My desktop is NOT a phone. I run more than one app at a time (5-15 at a time) on multiple screens with constant monitoring of multiple items.

    If all I need from my desktop was what I can do on my phone, I wouldn't have a desktop machine :/
    I'm currently running two displays, one with KINX weather radar, echofon, and AIM, the other with google chrome (facebook and other forums), NWS Tulsa data as well as SPC feeds and "metro" isnt bothering that at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Oklahoma
    Posts : 16
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit


    I guess what I should ask is this.....what exactly about "metro" is it that prevents "proper productivity" when every program open defaults to the desktop setting anyway? Is the separate screen for the start menu?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Quote Originally Posted by Ace38 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace38 View Post
    I'd like to add my 2 cents here. I was one of the ones who hated the Windows 8 interface, but as a PC tech I made myself use it in order to be able to properly inform my clients once it hit the mainstream. Still hated it. Then, one day while messing around with the RP I got a text message on my android phone and when I moved to respond to it, left the pointer in the lower left corner. Thats when it hit me....the little thumbnail popped up and thats the start button, click it and it takes me to an iphone/android like tile start menu....click the program (now called app) I need and I go right back to the desktop...just like clicking on the start menu and clicking on the program icon I needed. Takes the same amount of time and everythings its own tile! No more accidentally hitting iTunes when I meant to hit Inews! I've been a fan of Win 8 since I realized that its nothing more than my cell phone on my desktop.
    Yes. Microsoft has turned our desktops into phones.

    That is actually, precisely, the reason so many of us DON'T like it. My desktop is NOT a phone. I run more than one app at a time (5-15 at a time) on multiple screens with constant monitoring of multiple items.

    If all I need from my desktop was what I can do on my phone, I wouldn't have a desktop machine :/
    I'm currently running two displays, one with KINX weather radar, echofon, and AIM, the other with google chrome (facebook and other forums), NWS Tulsa data as well as SPC feeds and "metro" isnt bothering that at all.
    Are you running them IN metro or on the desktop?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Oklahoma
    Posts : 16
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit


    I dont run anything in metro save the sports, global soccer, MLS and solitare apps. Sometimes I use the weather and news apps as well. But, before my "realization" I didnt use them either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Well exactly, which is why I'm asking (and really what this thread is about) "Why is metro needed in any way on a workstation desktop"? It's not and it's full screen takeover at unexpected times and it's required use as the start menu is in fact quite annoying to many...

    If there were an option to remove it completely I think that at least half if not up to 90% of people probably would.

    But yeah yeah, were stuck with it <sigh>.

    I guess I'd live a longer life if I were to just take what MS shoves at me and "be happy" :/
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Even most of those who love it, have to use 3rd party apps to love it!
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook