Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


The worst thing since Microsoft Bob: What is MS thinking?

  1. #21


    Coke Robot: There is nothing wrong with liking something that other people don't like. If you feel that Windows 8 is awesome and it's going to work well for you than just use it and enjoy it.

    I think the reason that you feel like you do, is that you are going way, way, way out of your way to try to prove to lots of others that's it's totally awesome. We all have different interests and desires. For example, in another thread you started you proclaimed that your experiences with touch screens were awesome and windows 8 was a perfect match to the touchscreen. And while there is nothing wrong with feeling this way, no amount of convincing is going to change my mind or convince me that I actually like touchscreens. I do not. Perhaps in a few years when the technology changes and evolves, my opinion will change, but at the present time....I prefer without question to have a keyboard/mouse and no touchscreen.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Windows 8 is good in the sense that they haven't changed the good stuff introduced in windows 7 although they are still missing probably a few things that could make it even better overall they did a good job of preserving what worked. What they didn't do right is removing the start menu and replacing it with the start screen. A real solution if they were going to remove the start button would have been better for the desktop. They've created a bad user interface and it's valid to criticize it because besides the aesthetics of what has changed the way how windows functions in the desktop mode is awful. Because there is no actual start button to get to the shut down easier if someone is using the mouse they have to hover to the right at a specific point just to get the menu to show up. That just makes the experience less enjoyable then with the start button. The start button wasn't the BEST solution but it does make most things easier in the sense that everything is much easier to access that is in the menu. Getting to control panel or desktop settings I wouldn't need to right click on a hidden menu on some odd space that contains no visual cue that you should be pressing in that area. The show desktop button is also hidden I believe and that is also not helpful. Basically instead of making things easier they've managed to make it harder for users. This is the real problem I feel about windows 8 if they keep making windows 8 faster that's good but the whole switching between metro and desktop is just jarring and awkward to use. Desktop is treated as an app when. This just doesn't work out when normal users that actually do real work on the computer use the desktop and not metro side of things. I would never use my design programs with my fingers or type a serious letter or essay on one. It just isn't piratical. With them making the real workspace(desktop) much more difficult to navigate that's what I think is wrong with windows 8. I mean it's not a bad operating system but a lot of the new features should have been implemented a long time ago so it's nothing to be proud of on their part. The whole removal of dvd playback on mediaplayer is also quite disappointing.

    Sadly nothing can be changed at this point. The fact is they should not only think about the future which is important to stay alive in business but also about the real users who will be desktop users. Yes maybe there will be a lot of tablet users but making things more difficult with desktop users will definitely not help this product sell.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Coke Robot: There is nothing wrong with liking something that other people don't like. If you feel that Windows 8 is awesome and it's going to work well for you than just use it and enjoy it.

    I think the reason that you feel like you do, is that you are going way, way, way out of your way to try to prove to lots of others that's it's totally awesome. We all have different interests and desires. For example, in another thread you started you proclaimed that your experiences with touch screens were awesome and windows 8 was a perfect match to the touchscreen. And while there is nothing wrong with feeling this way, no amount of convincing is going to change my mind or convince me that I actually like touchscreens. I do not. Perhaps in a few years when the technology changes and evolves, my opinion will change, but at the present time....I prefer without question to have a keyboard/mouse and no touchscreen.
    I guess it does seem like I go out of my way to prove something, but it's usually due to the fact that someone hasn't seen a part of Windows that they're not finding in 8. Like, jimbo for example, on another thread he didn't get why there wasn't a search bar in the Windows Store and therefore though it would be a pain to find an app. But, metro apps use the Search charm to search for something in that app, or different app. Sometimes I go out of my way to correct a fallacy about Windows 8 that someone is touting, sometimes though. I know I can't convince otherwise, but if an issue is sorted out about whatever, that's fine to me. As long as SOMEONE else that happens to come across that thread where a problem has been corrected and takes from that, that's great.

    But I should say though, the touch technology is there. And it's juicy!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    sgage said:
    As long as you feel it's worth it, then that is all that matters. There are some of us who don't see the value in this upgrade, even at a mere $40. I plan to just stay put on Windows 7 and keep my $40 to use on something else. Not necessarily because Windows 8 is bad, just because it doesn't bring enough to the table to make me want to spend money on it. I just feel that if I disable Metro, and re-enable the start menu, I've more or less created Windows 7 with a service pack and I wouldn't spend $40 on a service pack.
    sgage think about THAT! Microsoft is making EVERYTHING computing EASIER, and to only pay a mere $40.00 to be able to stay in the herd, you don't think it is worth it? (Reference to herd: go back in time and compare WinNT4 with Windows 8. I think you will get my meaning then ).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I guess it does seem like I go out of my way to prove something,
    Yes, I guess that is true. I had to think about it some more. It's more like throwing out some grandiose statements and then just disappearing and then wondering why more don't agree with you. For people who might say, boy I really hate feature 1 because of A,B,C to just say, holy cow I have seen the light and feature 1 is simply pure genius.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Like, jimbo for example, on another thread he didn't get why there wasn't a search bar in the Windows Store and therefore though it would be a pain to find an app. But, metro apps use the Search charm to search for something in that app, or different app. Sometimes I go out of my way to correct a fallacy about Windows 8 that someone is touting, sometimes though.
    Like Jimbo, I too was unable to figure out how to search for anything in the Windows 8 store. To use the search function from the charms bar just wasn't very intuitive to me, or Jimbo for that matter. Being corrected on this issue is excellent and I'm glad that somebody did set me straight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    But I should say though, the touch technology is there. And it's juicy!
    Perfect example of what I was trying to explain above. You say the touch is there and it's "juicy". Seriously, "juicy" doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't explain at all why the implementation of touch in this interface might be better than anything that has been done before. It doesn't help to clear up any of the concerns that I have previously had with touch screens and why I should potentially give them another chance to see if they have radically improved.

    As I and others have mentioned, we have very specific reasons as to why touch doesn't necessarily excite us
    1). I don't want fingerprints on my monitor...how will the "juicy" implementation of touch make this better?

    2). I don't like switching from horizontal (keyboard) to vertical (monitor) to input. And I said, I don't like it. I didn't say "I'm concerned that I wouldn't like it". The difference is that it shows that I have had experience using them before. I've used touchscreens combined with keyboards and I don't like going back and forth and lifting my hands and touching the screen and then coming back to my keyboard and typing again. Now, I can tolerate this (just slightly) on my Motorola Droid 2, which a physical slide out keyboard because the input is on the same plane...but I still don't like it. Is the "juicy" touchscreen going to fix this for me?

    3). We are concerned with accuracy of clicking things. For example, in a thread with lots of replies, there is an entire block of pages that we can select from, say 1 through 45. So, maybe we see 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last. Well, on a touch screen, touching these accurately for many of us has proven difficult. My fingers are just too big on the tips perhaps. For the big buttons, well it's no issue at all. But I can tell you from hands on experience with any tablet that I have used, clicking on 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last accurately has been an exercise in pure frustration for me. And I'm not going to lower the resolution substantially to have big buttons for the above stuff. I'm going to run my resolution as high as I can to maximize my screen space. Perhaps the answer is to use a stylus to help me pinpoint a very specific area...but then I have to pick up another device when my hands leave the keyboard. At least with the mouse, my hand can just fall onto the mouse and then move it. So, how can this "juicy" touchscreen technology fix this issue for me?

    Hopefully you can see the point I'm trying to make. I've spent a considerable amount of time explaining as clearly as I can why I am convinced touchscreen technology is not there for me yet. A retort of, Windows 8 is "super extra spiffy juicy"....just isn't convincing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    pparks1 said
    Originally Posted by Coke Robot Like, jimbo for example, on another thread he didn't get why there wasn't a search bar in the Windows Store and therefore though it would be a pain to find an app. But, metro apps use the Search charm to search for something in that app, or different app. Sometimes I go out of my way to correct a fallacy about Windows 8 that someone is touting, sometimes though.
    Like Jimbo, I too was unable to figure out how to search for anything in the Windows 8 store. To use the search function from the charms bar just wasn't very intuitive to me, or Jimbo for that matter. Being corrected on this issue is excellent and I'm glad that somebody did set me straight.
    HEY!! Where's my KUDOS for that at? I was the one that explained the search in the charms bar issue!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    HEY!! Where's my KUDOS for that at? I was the one that explained the search in the charms bar issue!!!
    Oops, now I am in hot water. Sorry about that, I went back and hit the reputation button for that explanation. And here i was thinking that it was Coke Robot who explained that issue.

    Thanks, appreciate the efforts here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    <grin> Thank you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8 Customer Preview


    Like most I was confused by Windows 8, and it took awhile to start using the CharmsBar especially Search. Basically if you can't figure out where an old feature went, check out Charms. Or go to the Metro screen and just type in what you want to locate - such as "paint" or "file history" or "update". It is so much faster and responsive than Win7 on my seven year old laptop that I will definitely spend the $39.99 for the finale release.

    So far I haven't relied on Metro apps for much tho I have tried many of them. But one thing is for sure, my hands DEFINITELY want to reach out to that screen and touch it to access and control both the desktop and Metro views. A 13.3" 8GB 256GB SSD Windows 8 ultrabook with touch screen as well as traditional touchpad/keyboard would win me over in a heartbeat!

    I love right clicking on Metro to see every application on my system. It is growing on me. I'm not an all-out Windows 8 fan yet, but I'm getting there. But to be honest, from my intiial exposure to the Consumer Preview, I can understand why many don't like it at all. A user manual PDF would have been helpful at that time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    Bob? This is a ploy to torture us into buying a touch screen PC..BUT they don't really have to convince us to buy one, it's our WIVES they need to convince. LoL
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
The worst thing since Microsoft Bob: What is MS thinking?
Related Threads
Hi there Ignoring Ransomware which fortunately I haven't had what's the WORST piece of ad/cr@p/mal / ware or virus you've had to deal with. My worst one was trying to get rid of BUBBLEDOCK on a colleagues computer -- this would popup zillions of windows without allowing you to do very much...
Upgraded to Win 8.1 , apart form the ridiculously long amount of time it took...it went well , installed ok , tested it...turned PC off and went to bed... Went to play a video file , part way through , the sound started to go 'fuzzy' , then high treble , then almost muffled...... SO , I go...
Linux Guru: Microsoft Is Doing the Right Thing with Windows 8 Linux Guru: Microsoft Is Doing the Right Thing with Windows 8 Looking for more Linux users I think.
Hey everyone. I've been curious - who has been around long enough for the older stuff, and how you might view them today, listing your favorites first and your least favorites last. I'll start: Windows 8 Windows 7 Windows Vista Windows XP
I spent a full day fighting with a laptop infected with the "FULL-DiskFighter" malware. The laptop was playing audio ads every few minutes and sometime several would be playing at the same time. After much work (stopping processes, uninstalling suspicious apps, tried to boot into safe mode to...
I hate flaming and raging, but theres no choice. Buying windows 8 was the worst mistake ive made for the last 10 years at least. Heres the list of issues that i couldnt find any help for: Chrome doesnt google search. It just freezes like theres no internet. listening to music online on...
Windows 8 WORST on TABLET in Drivers & Hardware
Everyone says Win8 is supposed to be great on tablets. It's not. It's actually significantly worse than windows 7. Issues: Two finger right click removed-In 7, right clicking on a touchscreen was an instant two finger tap. Now it's a 2- second hold. Touch flicks removed-Actually useful...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook