Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


"Automatically go to the Desktop" feature available in Windows 8 RTM!

  1. #21


    I've copied this from a post i made on another Win8 forum that had also made the same mistake in thinking it was an option from Microsoft.

    The info and images come from WinUnleaked, if you click the link to WinUnleaked go to page 3 then go to the third post on that page and scroll down to "Clean Question Box" you get what i think people are refering to, but click the link under it and it takes you to Paul Thurrotts Winsupersite He's not talking about a Microsoft option at all but Stardock's Start8 nothing more.

    Now i've got to go and rescue laptop from wife before she throws it across the room, yes you've guessed it I've just given her a spare laptop with Win8 on it, she's never seen Win8 before and i can hear by her shouting at me that have a BIG PROBLEM
    Regards
    Aquatarkus

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Quote Originally Posted by aquatarkus View Post
    Now i've got to go and rescue laptop from wife before she throws it across the room, yes you've guessed it I've just given her a spare laptop with Win8 on it, she's never seen Win8 before and i can hear by her shouting at me that have a BIG PROBLEM
    Regards
    Aquatarkus
    Hahaha, you are SO mean!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Yes that was this morning, no i wasn't being mean, I just thought ok, wife is used to her laptop (XP) and a couple of my pcs running Win7 what will happen if we brought her a new laptop in October which will have Win8 on it, how will she get on. (ok i already knew the answer)
    But the point was that this is going to happen all over, You should see her trying to find "My Documents" "My Computer" etc, and you should have seen her face when she hit the internet explorer metro icon, and metro IE opened up. She's now had a play for a couple of hours and her view is unprintable but to give you an idea it's F*****g Rubbish. I'm not using that.
    And the sad thing is i can see that happening in nearly every house hold.

    Regards
    Aquatarkus
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Yes, the entire paradigm of going from a document centric "producer" view of the world to a purely app centric "consumer" view is going to be quite the shock for many. At least to anyone that still produces.

    I think Windows 8 is basically trying to turn itself into your TV. Something you sit in front of and drool at and typing no more than 160 characters at a time on. Not something you actually work on photographs or videos or writing or making music or programming or creating web sites or producing art or doing 3d animation or any of the other 1000 things people "used to" do on Windows. (And that list is just /some/ of the things that I personally do on my Windows machines)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Quote Originally Posted by aquatarkus View Post
    Yes that was this morning, no i wasn't being mean, I just thought ok, wife is used to her laptop (XP) and a couple of my pcs running Win7 what will happen if we brought her a new laptop in October which will have Win8 on it, how will she get on. (ok i already knew the answer)
    But the point was that this is going to happen all over, You should see her trying to find "My Documents" "My Computer" etc, and you should have seen her face when she hit the internet explorer metro icon, and metro IE opened up. She's now had a play for a couple of hours and her view is unprintable but to give you an idea it's F*****g Rubbish. I'm not using that.
    And the sad thing is i can see that happening in nearly every house hold.

    Regards
    Aquatarkus
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    Yes, the entire paradigm of going from a document centric "producer" view of the world to a purely app centric "consumer" view is going to be quite the shock for many. At least to anyone that still produces.

    I think Windows 8 is basically trying to turn itself into your TV. Something you sit in front of and drool at and typing no more than 160 characters at a time on. Not something you actually work on photographs or videos or writing or making music or programming or creating web sites or producing art or doing 3d animation or any of the other 1000 things people "used to" do on Windows. (And that list is just /some/ of the things that I personally do on my Windows machines)


    Wow - two sensible posts in a row - by two different people. Not often you get that in this forum.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    Yes, the entire paradigm of going from a document centric "producer" view of the world to a purely app centric "consumer" view is going to be quite the shock for many. At least to anyone that still produces.

    I think Windows 8 is basically trying to turn itself into your TV. Something you sit in front of and drool at and typing no more than 160 characters at a time on. Not something you actually work on photographs or videos or writing or making music or programming or creating web sites or producing art or doing 3d animation or any of the other 1000 things people "used to" do on Windows. (And that list is just /some/ of the things that I personally do on my Windows machines)
    Hi there
    these days LIVE TV is itself getting viewed less and less as people discover other methods of obtaining and viewing content.

    About the ONLY time I ever think of live TV these days is when I'm in a Sports bar watching live action such as Golf, Footie (European or S. American version) , rugby, cricket / Olympic Games etc.

    When you obtain your own content you can skip the endless mindless commercials that Live TV seems to insist on showing -- making an exodus from Live TV even quicker than it already is.

    The days of Network TV with their incessant childish commercials every few minutes isn't long any more for this world.

    People might need to earn money but driving the customer base away isn't a good business model. ABC / CBS/NBC etc as they currentl operate is now a TOTALLY FAILED business model -- and a few rear guard actions into "Piracy" etc and persuing a few teenagers halfway around the globe for downloading a movie or two while leaving the major source (China, Taiwan etc) untouched doesn't solve their problem either --just makes them look even more impotent and silly as they already are.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 152
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1


    Quote Originally Posted by icet View Post
    Microsoft has added "Automatically go to the Desktop" feature in Windows 8 RTM. So those who wish to avoid Metro screen at start can directly to to their desktops!



    Windows 8 RTM Explorer UI, Bootscreen, Wallpapers, Customization & changes in Internet Explorer 10 Revealed-Windows8Consumer.IN
    Please enlighten me.
    What am I missing?
    Don't we already have this capability in Win 8 RP ?......
    Log On User Account Automatically at Windows 8 Startup
    Log On User Account Automatically at Windows 8 Startup
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    He means boot to the desktop - not boot to the phone ui ( Metro)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    Quote Originally Posted by aquatarkus View Post
    Yes that was this morning, no i wasn't being mean, I just thought ok, wife is used to her laptop (XP) and a couple of my pcs running Win7 what will happen if we brought her a new laptop in October which will have Win8 on it, how will she get on. (ok i already knew the answer)
    But the point was that this is going to happen all over, You should see her trying to find "My Documents" "My Computer" etc, and you should have seen her face when she hit the internet explorer metro icon, and metro IE opened up. She's now had a play for a couple of hours and her view is unprintable but to give you an idea it's F*****g Rubbish. I'm not using that.
    And the sad thing is i can see that happening in nearly every house hold.

    Regards
    Aquatarkus
    Aquatarkus, tell her to get over it. Microsoft DOES not support her Windows XP anymore, and she will like Windows 8 MUCH better.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
"Automatically go to the Desktop" feature available in Windows 8 RTM!
Related Threads
So I need to a image viewer/editor with "Scroll to Zoom" feature. Basically when I scroll, the image should be zoomed instead of moving to the next picture. Irfanview had this feature but its not there anymore. Or maybe I am not able to find it. I know that Ctrl+Scroll will produce the result....
Chrome new feature "person" in Browsers & Mail
I have noticed a new feature in the latest version of chrome I use. It is in settings and called something like person and I keeps the log in in gmail. How can I remove it?
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
Hi guys, as most of you will be aware with the show desktop feature in the windows, which in the system tray on bottom right of your screen. I need a tweak or registry edit to make it do "Win + M" Minimize all Windows, instead of "Win + D" show desktop. Reason is it hides my gadgets and...
How do I enable the mouse "snap to" feature in Windows 8? I miss it soooo much !!! HALP !!!
Hi, I am unsure whether I should enable ”Automatically get device drivers, apps, and info for new devices” when installing Windows 8 Pro? What exactly will it do? If I enable this, will Windows then automatically install software packages/drivers from the manufacturer, like for example...
I have an Xbox and Windows8 and have been waiting anxiously for the "Play To" feature to work in xbox music and hopefully other things. Now that we have the new Xbox dashboard and the windows RTM has been updated, there is still no play to feature. Am I missing something or do I have to do...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook