Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


My logic behind Microsoft's controversial decision: Removal of Start

  1. #21


    Quote Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
    The reason is because a Windows 8 upgrade is $39.99 and a little bit of hacking, you could have a faster version of Windows 7 for only $39.99.
    Aside from slightly faster boot up, which almost goes away when you disable the hibernation file...which I do to save space on my SSD, I don't see Windows 8 being any faster. In fact, some of the nicety graphics of metro have a negative impact on performance. They look pretty, but do take a small bit of time to draw in and launch.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
    The reason is because a Windows 8 upgrade is $39.99 and a little bit of hacking, you could have a faster version of Windows 7 for only $39.99.
    Aside from slightly faster boot up, which almost goes away when you disable the hibernation file...which I do to save space on my SSD, I don't see Windows 8 being any faster. In fact, some of the nicety graphics of metro have a negative impact on performance. They look pretty, but do take a small bit of time to draw in and launch.
    What does that have to do with the topic of the thread?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Well, from my experience seeing how people use Windows, it also comes down to the fact that the start menu was being used less and less.
    That is what they say. However, seems tons of people are complaining about it..so that seems odd. In addition, I work in a corporate environment where nearly everybody uses their Start menu. Lots of power users utilize quick launch and other tricks, but the majority of just average users tend to use either the start menu to launch an app or they create a shortcut on their desktop (but they use the Start menu to find that application in the first place). These are the same type of people who use the Network icon to browse network shares instead of hitting the start menu and typing \\servername.


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    What they're offering now is a unified, fluid user experience where devices work better together.
    Their hope is that everything works better together. Having a unified interface can certainly make things more consistent for people, but with the differences in devices and how people use them, one common interface may not be the best. For example, with desktop computers and such today without touch screen interfaces, I question the value of the Metro interface. Sure, it's consistent with the phone and the game console......but having a full screen application isn't ideal to many computer users.
    I think it's odd how many people are claiming lost features from Windows 8 when you can still get them but in a different version of the OS. Yeah, you have to pay a little more for them, but if YOU use them and many people don't, it makes business sense to do that since it costs Microsoft some to offer features people aren't using.

    And yeah, you could say full screen apps aren't appropriate on the desktop, but that's the thing, the metro styled app isn't just the only part of the experience. It's the all out metro design in general that provides for the experience. The new Office 2013 has metro design as well as the Desktop in the RTM of Windows 8. If you don't use metro apps, that doesn't mean it's not part of the overall user experience.

    But, then again, it's is a new Windows for new PCs, which includes tablets and touch systems...so I don't know.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    I am reminded of a Gilligan's Island episode... "Now... Would you like some wicks to go with those candles?"

    Why not ship a $5 kernel and then charge for each addon? CLI? Networking? OGL? "Pro desktop"? (That'll be $250 by itself).

    Yay!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Credible Telemetry?


    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tcman50 View Post
    Microsoft has conducted many polls sighting that for most users start menu isnt the end all of end all.
    If you truly believe that, I may have a sweet deal for you on some beach front property.
    I've heard other Microsoft "polls" indicate Media Center is used by 6% of the Windows base. I don't know which is funnier, that ludicrous claim, or suspending disbelief long enough to laugh at Microsoft's response, "Kill it! Kill it with fire!"
    I think Microsoft's telemetry is just as credible as Pharmaceutical company reports on new drugs.
    Somehow the reports are always edited, so that they show only benefits and remove any references to side effects.

    The telemetry has been "massaged" to support Microsoft's stated position (it wasn't used to establish the position initially).

    Just look at the "hotspot" charts of "Metro vs the Start Menu" on Sinofsky's blog.
    They seem convincing, until you realise that Sinofsky doesn't know how to use the Start Menu at all (or he's distorting the truth).
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 19 Jul 2012 at 01:20. Reason: Spelling
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
    The reason is because a Windows 8 upgrade is $39.99 and a little bit of hacking, you could have a faster version of Windows 7 for only $39.99.
    Aside from slightly faster boot up, which almost goes away when you disable the hibernation file...which I do to save space on my SSD, I don't see Windows 8 being any faster. In fact, some of the nicety graphics of metro have a negative impact on performance. They look pretty, but do take a small bit of time to draw in and launch.
    What does that have to do with the topic of the thread?
    Threads are dynamic and they grow and change a bit. I responded to a post where somebody said Windows 8 was a faster version of Windows 7. I'm questioning whether or not it really is faster or not. This isn't too hard to follow. I even quoted it, so it would be obvious what I was talking about.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    OK. You certainly have a right to your choices. I have mine.



    I'll just........................ Attachment 7368......................and unsubscribe.



    It's hard to imagine that I could be any less excited about Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post

    If you truly believe that, I may have a sweet deal for you on some beach front property.
    I've heard other Microsoft "polls" indicate Media Center is used by 6% of the Windows base. I don't know which is funnier, that ludicrous claim, or suspending disbelief long enough to laugh at Microsoft's response, "Kill it! Kill it with fire!"
    I think Microsoft's telemetry is just as credible as Pharmaceutical company reports on new drugs.
    Somehow the reports are always edited, so that they show on benefits and remove any references to side effects.

    The telemetryhas been "massaged" to support Microsoft's stated position (it wasn't used to establish the position initially).

    Just look at the "hotspot" charts of "Metro vs the Start Menu" on Sinofsky's blog.
    They seem convincing, until you realise that Sinofsky doesn't know how to use the Start Menu at all (or he's distorting the truth).
    That's comparison of defaults between the menu and screen. Sure, you can set the menu to take up the whole side of the Desktop, but if I remember right, more items are displayed on the screen than menu. I find the telemetry data fairly correct. The animation between an app to the Start Screen is a couple of seconds and by that time, my mouse is already in the location of a tile shortcut that I need even before the animation is complete.

    Or it could be just me....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    OK. You certainly have a right to your choices. I have mine.



    I'll just........................ Attachment 7368......................and unsubscribe.



    It's hard to imagine that I could be any less excited about Windows 7.
    Those cats make me laugh!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 51
    Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    The start menu is vastly better for those using the desktop UI
    I don't know how people can take this mantra about tablets so seriously. Metro shouldn't change a thing if tablets never existed. The Start Menu is inferior at today's resolutions and in terms of visual elements that draw you in. This implementation encourages people to finally execute things the Start Menu has always been capable of, but were oft neglected.

    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    So you actually know the spelled out name of /every/ application and utility item etc on your computer to type them in on the metro screen huh?
    This would be pertinent if it weren't for Win+Q/All Apps being an even better version of what you're stuck on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arpan View Post
    Even xp's start menu was better than 7's. You got a full view of all the menus and sub menus.
    Sub menus are a great example of clutter that should be discouraged.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
My logic behind Microsoft's controversial decision: Removal of Start
Related Threads
I have a Dell windows 6.1 Pro 11" tablet where the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool crashes every day. It usually happens in the middle of the night when the machine is docked and snoozing. I am getting close to removing it, but before I do that has anyone got any idea why?
Solved USB 3.0 Drivers for Fresco Logic in Drivers & Hardware
I reinstalled Win8 Pro on ASUS N53 SN due to some problems. Now I cannot find the correct drivers for USB 3.0 Root Hub. Does anyone know which driver to use? Asus website does not support N53 SN on Win8 very much. The ones I tried didn't help either. In the Device Manager, just above it, the...
If you're going to make a Start Menu toolbar (see the Tutorial https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2460-start-menu-toolbar-create-windows-8-taskbar.html?ltr=S), you should decide which of the two Start Menu folders to use based on your own needs. By this time it's become common knowledge that...
Microsoft Releases Malicious Software Removal Tool 5.4
Do or die: Windows RT decision looms for new Microsoft leadership | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld
Read more at source: Steven Sinofsky: Microsoft's controversial Mr. Windows 8 | Microsoft - CNET News
Important! Please be advised this only applies to the FX990 AMD chipset ASUS Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt MB Warning: ASUS and ROG will not support you if you are experiencing issues with installing drivers for Windows 8. Drivers will only be available either just before, or near to the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook