Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


My top 2 reasons to upgrade to Windows 8--share yours

  1. #1


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro

    My top 2 reasons to upgrade to Windows 8--share yours


    I am perfectly happy with Windows 7 on the desktop, but I did find two reasons for upgrading to Windows 8:

    (1) I can now open ISO files natively. I chose not to include a CD-ROM in my machine, so this will come in very handy.

    BUT WIN 8 UNFORTUNATELY DOES NOT INCLUDE THE ABILITY TO CREATE ISO FILES. BUMMER.

    (2) BitLocker is now included. Encrypting the whole system drive just got a lot easier.

    Also the upgrade price is nice.

    Since I don't have a DVD, I don't care about the lack of software to play DVDs. That's what TVs are for.

    What reasons do other folks have for wanting to upgrade?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    This is true, I'm cutting out my DVD player from my new desktop in lieu of more hard drive space.

    My top two reasons I'd say would be the Start Screen and Automatic Maintenance.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    I believe you will have to be on the Pro version of Windows 8 to get the bitlocker support.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Top two reasons:
    - iso support also
    - better compatibility mode + reduced color mode
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Not sure why people are so excited about iso mounting.

    I suppose it is marginally more convenient to have it included if all you ever want to do is mount them .

    No biggie. Plenty of free isomounting software already available. If you have simple needs, then this is good WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more... ( it also creates iso's). Works great on win7.

    If you want to do more than just mounting you would need a full isohandler anyhow.

    Like this: PowerISO - Create, Burn, Mount, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive


    the free (unregistered ) version does almost everything - the only limitataion of the free version is you are restricted to editing only up to 300mb. It is also great for writing iso to flash
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I believe you will have to be on the Pro version of Windows 8 to get the bitlocker support.
    You are correct, but I believe that is the version they are selling as an upgrade, right?

    With Windows 7 you had to buy Ultimate or Enterprise to get Bitlocker.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Not sure why people are so excited about iso mounting.

    I suppose it is marginally more convenient to have it included if all you ever want to do is mount them .

    No biggie. Plenty of free isomounting software already available. If you have simple needs, then this is good WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more... ( it also creates iso's). Works great on win7.

    If you want to do more than just mounting you would need a full isohandler anyhow.

    Like this: PowerISO - Create, Burn, Mount, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive


    the free (unregistered ) version does almost everything - the only limitataion of the free version is you are restricted to editing only up to 300mb. It is also great for writing iso to flash
    There are a couple of reasons for preferring it to be built in:

    (1) Having a to look for, possibly paying for, verifying that it's secure and not some trojan, and keeping it up to date. Multiply that by every utility that could be provided by a third party and it gets tiresome pretty quickly.

    To me ISO mounting is as basic as reading the contents of a hard drive or a Zip archive. Also, recall that MS had a utility that worked only in Windows XP, but they discontinued support for it in Vista and 7.

    (2) I carry some ISOs with me that I would like to use on clients' computers sometimes. It's not convenient to also carry an ISO mounting tool AND ask the person to give you Admin privileges so that you can install it!

    It's just a very basic OS function.

    I would have liked to see ISO creation too. I am hoping that oscdimg can handle basic ISO creation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Top two reasons:
    - iso support also
    - better compatibility mode + reduced color mode
    I am curious, what do you mean by "- better compatibility mode + reduced color mode"?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Cly View Post
    (2) BitLocker is now included. Encrypting the whole system drive just got a lot easier.
    The only technical reason to consider Bitlocker is if your computer has a TPM, which is a rare feature, whose additional protection is incremental at best. Even then, my understanding is that Bitlocker doesn't allow you to log on by entering a passphrase; you have to use a physical device like a USB drive, which for me defeats the entire purpose, or you can use a 4-20 digit (I repeat, digit) PIN. Truecrypt is free, works perfectly, has more features, and operates totally seamlessly after you start your computer and enter the passphrase. I Truecrypt all my drives, from system to data to external to USB flash drives.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cly View Post
    (2) BitLocker is now included. Encrypting the whole system drive just got a lot easier.
    The only technical reason to consider Bitlocker is if your computer has a TPM, which is a rare feature, whose additional protection is incremental at best. Even then, my understanding is that Bitlocker doesn't allow you to log on by entering a passphrase; you have to use a physical device like a USB drive, which for me defeats the entire purpose, or you can use a 4-20 digit (I repeat, digit) PIN. Truecrypt is free, works perfectly, has more features, and operates totally seamlessly after you start your computer and enter the passphrase. I Truecrypt all my drives, from system to data to external to USB flash drives.
    I use True Crypt on some drives, but have shied away from using it on the System drive. Please let me know if you know of a way around these issues:

    (1) Per the documentation, TC should not be used on drives that use TRIM. My system drive is an SSD.
    (2) Per the documentation, TC does not know how to handle a system drive on shutdown or hibernation. There is no API for it. See page 89 of the manual.
    (3) TC requires creating a recovery CD/DVD. My computers don't have a CD-ROM. Creating a recovery USB drive is a hassle at best.

    I haven't investigated Bitlocker yet, but using a pin as a pasphrase is ridiculous. Then again a pin + USB drive as a TPM might work. Are you sure that a TPM computer is rare? I thought that most modern computers have it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
My top 2 reasons to upgrade to Windows 8--share yours
Related Threads
Read more at: Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet
At least Ed Bott is optimistic for the desktop, Ed Bott is a well respected journalist and he seems to be optimistic that the desktop is not going to disappear. That, at least, is comforting. Read more at source: Five reasons why the Windows desktop isn't going away | ZDNet
see full report
Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed | ZDNet
7 Reasons Windows 8 RT was DOA
Read more at source: 7 reasons why Windows RT works | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews See also: https://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/10363-top-10-biggest-drawbacks-windows-rt.html
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook