Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


My top 2 reasons to upgrade to Windows 8--share yours

  1. #61


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Not sure why people are so excited about iso mounting.

    I suppose it is marginally more convenient to have it included if all you ever want to do is mount them .

    No biggie. Plenty of free isomounting software already available. If you have simple needs, then this is good WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more... ( it also creates iso's). Works great on win7.

    If you want to do more than just mounting you would need a full isohandler anyhow.

    Like this: PowerISO - Create, Burn, Mount, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive


    the free (unregistered ) version does almost everything - the only limitataion of the free version is you are restricted to editing only up to 300mb. It is also great for writing iso to flash
    Hi there

    300 MB -- not much use -- waste of time if you need to create / edit iso's . 300 MB would probably make you about 5 mins of decent quality video !!!!!. this really is of no use to man or beast.

    The point about mounting ISO's is that the OS can do it directly without you having to install some 3rd party software to do it.

    Remember also that the iso format itself might not exist for too much longer anyway -- DVD and CD physical media aren't long for this world in any case.

    These days if I play a DVD I'll just mount the ISO with w8 and play with VLC media player -- and I can stream them as well to an external DVD (domestic) machine too..

    I keep an external DVD writer just for the few times I need to rip a DVD -- probably won't be doing too much of that in future as modern DVD machines can record direct to HDD and also have USB input to play stuff from external USB devices anyway.

    Can't be too long now before DVD's are available as ISO downloads or even supplied on USB sticks / Micro sdHC cards instead of physical DVD's -- should be cheaper and less polluting manufacturing anyway.

    A tiny 32 Gb micro sdHC card could store up to approx. 7 "standard" DVD's on it !!!!

    Can't see either the CD or DVD now lasting much longer.

    When I'm travelling now and I want to watch movies - I just plug a micro sdHC card into my phone -- and depending on the length of journey either plug the phone into the laptop via its usb cable and watch the movie on the laptop or for shorter journeys watch the movie on the smartphone itself. My smartphone will play .iso files and the computer will too of course.

    The Samsung Galaxy III s screen is just about OK for watching movies for a shortish time -- say 2 hrs or so -- or on a plane where it's not always convenient to get a laptop out --especially in "Cattle Class" seats --is it me or are plane seats becoming more cramped --I'm not getting fatter or overweight myself so it's not due to ME. !!

    Cheers
    jimbo

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #62


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    I accidentally copied Windows onto the wrong drive Now I can't figure out how to delete the Windows installation off of that drive.
    Last edited by Cly; 23 Jul 2012 at 06:39.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #63


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Two features I just discovered that I LOVE over Windows 7:

    1. LOT less software and utilities to install with a new installation

    2. It's a lot faster to get configured than 7
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #64


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Two features I just discovered that I LOVE over Windows 7:

    1. LOT less software and utilities to install with a new installation

    2. It's a lot faster to get configured than 7
    I agree with that; it wasn't a top reason for me to upgrade because Windows is already installed so the work is already done.

    Any ideas how to remove an unwanted Windows installation off an external drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #65


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Two features I just discovered that I LOVE over Windows 7:

    1. LOT less software and utilities to install with a new installation

    2. It's a lot faster to get configured than 7
    1) ?!?!? What utilites? In fact with the missing DVD and mp4 playback there are actually MORE utilities you have to install over 7.

    2) Again ?!? When installing the 30 applications you need to use daily/weekly Then having to do MORE work in Metro to organise them all than you ever had to so with the start menu and trying to get those two remote printers installed and getting it working nicely with the rest of your network when everything has been moved around on you, the setup time is /considerably/ longer.

    Again Coke. You talk about Windows 8 as if it is only used by people that mail and web and maybe play majong and do NOTHING else on it! If so then point taken, for everyone else, both of your points are in fact the exact opposite of how you stated them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #66


    Posts : 51
    Windows 8 Pro x64(!)


    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Two features I just discovered that I LOVE over Windows 7:

    1. LOT less software and utilities to install with a new installation

    2. It's a lot faster to get configured than 7
    1) ?!?!? What utilites? In fact with the missing DVD and mp4 playback there are actually MORE utilities you have to install over 7.

    2) Again ?!? When installing the 30 applications you need to use daily/weekly Then having to do MORE work in Metro to organise them all than you ever had to so with the start menu and trying to get those two remote printers installed and getting it working nicely with the rest of your network when everything has been moved around on you, the setup time is /considerably/ longer.

    Again Coke. You talk about Windows 8 as if it is only used by people that mail and web and maybe play majong and do NOTHING else on it! If so then point taken, for everyone else, both of your points are in fact the exact opposite of how you stated them.
    1. Does no-one understand metro is a new feature not a replacement of features. That means you are wrong with the utilities. And WMP is included.

    2. Or you could switch to Windows 8 default drivers/apps instead of desktop apps which use up 15TB because they're in "Windows 8 Preview".

    Oh, and that is practically all I do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #67


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cly View Post
    Hopachi--I was not able to install because I am using a 3TB hard drive formatted GPT, which apparently cannot be an active partition. Any solutions?
    Hi Cly,

    No solid solution that I know for this one for the moment. Sorry.

    Hopachi
    Too bad. I was hoping to have a single eSATA drive that housed a whole bootable system. 2.2 TB wouldn't have been large enough.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #68


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    Quote Originally Posted by MD678685 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Two features I just discovered that I LOVE over Windows 7:

    1. LOT less software and utilities to install with a new installation

    2. It's a lot faster to get configured than 7
    1) ?!?!? What utilites? In fact with the missing DVD and mp4 playback there are actually MORE utilities you have to install over 7.

    2) Again ?!? When installing the 30 applications you need to use daily/weekly Then having to do MORE work in Metro to organise them all than you ever had to so with the start menu and trying to get those two remote printers installed and getting it working nicely with the rest of your network when everything has been moved around on you, the setup time is /considerably/ longer.

    Again Coke. You talk about Windows 8 as if it is only used by people that mail and web and maybe play majong and do NOTHING else on it! If so then point taken, for everyone else, both of your points are in fact the exact opposite of how you stated them.
    1. Does no-one understand metro is a new feature not a replacement of features. That means you are wrong with the utilities. And WMP is included.

    2. Or you could switch to Windows 8 default drivers/apps instead of desktop apps which use up 15TB because they're in "Windows 8 Preview".

    Oh, and that is practically all I do.
    1) WMP is included but it NO LONGER plays DVDs or mpeg 4 files of any kind without installing additional tools. A giant leap backwards from Windows 7.

    2) What?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #69


    Posts : 106
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    1) WMP is included but it NO LONGER plays DVDs or mpeg 4 files of any kind without installing additional tools. A giant leap backwards from Windows 7.
    I had thought this was only a DVD issue, so didn't care much. I didn't realize it affected mpeg 4 files generally. Isn't there an easy solution to that--Quicktime, or even copying the codecs from Windows 7?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #70


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Two features I just discovered that I LOVE over Windows 7:

    1. LOT less software and utilities to install with a new installation

    2. It's a lot faster to get configured than 7
    While in theory, in practicality these apps are of limited use. For example, there is a PDF reader by default, but it's a metro app with almost no functionality. I managed to live with it for about 3 users before I went and installed my normal sumatra PDF reader so that I could be productive again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
My top 2 reasons to upgrade to Windows 8--share yours
Related Threads
Read more at: Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet
At least Ed Bott is optimistic for the desktop, Ed Bott is a well respected journalist and he seems to be optimistic that the desktop is not going to disappear. That, at least, is comforting. Read more at source: Five reasons why the Windows desktop isn't going away | ZDNet
see full report
Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed | ZDNet
7 Reasons Windows 8 RT was DOA
Read more at source: 7 reasons why Windows RT works | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews See also: https://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/10363-top-10-biggest-drawbacks-windows-rt.html
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook