Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Cannot Re-Size Windows to Larger Size

  1. #1


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8.1

    Cannot Re-Size Windows to Larger Size


    When I open a new window, like This PC or My Documents, I cannot save a larger window. After I close it and then go back to open the window again, it reverts back to a smaller size.

    I have gone into View and Options and clicked Restore Defaults and Reset Folders.

    I still cannot get windows to remember the preferred and larger size. This changed suddenly within the last week. I don't recall changing the settings, so I am at a loss for how to fix this.

    Thanks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8.1


    I'm checking back in here to see if anyone has a solution for my problem. I still cannot set the default size of windows when I open them. They stay at the same size, which is too small for me.

    I do not know how this happend but it happened suddenly and I can't seem to find a way to fix it.

    Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello SunPower,

    If you haven't already, you might see if using OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to completely reset all folder views back to default may help.

    Folder View Settings - Reset to Default in Windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8.1


    brink,

    thanks. i will try.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello SunPower,

    If you haven't already, you might see if using OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to completely reset all folder views back to default may help.

    Folder View Settings - Reset to Default in Windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    When you open the options menu, are you sure you have remember windows positions/size selected?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by brucedavis View Post
    When you open the options menu, are you sure you have remember windows positions/size selected?
    I just checked options. No where do I see "remember windows positions / size selected."

    Can you give me specific steps to find this setting?

    Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8.1


    it did no work.

    Weird, though, because the screen went all blue. I re-started the computer after a few minutes. And it logged me into a temporary account. All of my desktop folders and settings or personalized settings were gone.

    I re-started and eventually got back my original desktop with settings.

    But the folders remain unchanged. I cannot re-size folders.



    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello SunPower,

    If you haven't already, you might see if using OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to completely reset all folder views back to default may help.

    Folder View Settings - Reset to Default in Windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by Sunpower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brucedavis View Post
    When you open the options menu, are you sure you have remember windows positions/size selected?
    I just checked options. No where do I see "remember windows positions / size selected."

    Can you give me specific steps to find this setting?

    Thanks.
    I apologize.
    I must be thinking of an older Win or something. I just checked and it's not there on Win8.0.

    I would suggest you try and open a window, preferably a shortcut link to an existing folder, not the My Computer drive listing, and resize as big as you want. Do not open any folders within the initial open window. Open Folder/Options. Then select "view all folders like current" This should go through and reset any folder with the same "folder types". Then try closing and reopening.

    This may very well not work but there must be some way to kickstart your folder settings to remember Position/Size. I could not find anything in regedit for "windowsize" that would be pertinent. Other programs appear but not FileExplorer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8.1


    Again, I do NOT see "view all folders like current" in my folder options.

    Can you give me specific steps on how to find that.

    Thanks.


    Quote Originally Posted by brucedavis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunpower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brucedavis View Post
    When you open the options menu, are you sure you have remember windows positions/size selected?
    I just checked options. No where do I see "remember windows positions / size selected."

    Can you give me specific steps to find this setting?

    Thanks.
    I apologize.
    I must be thinking of an older Win or something. I just checked and it's not there on Win8.0.

    I would suggest you try and open a window, preferably a shortcut link to an existing folder, not the My Computer drive listing, and resize as big as you want. Do not open any folders within the initial open window. Open Folder/Options. Then select "view all folders like current" This should go through and reset any folder with the same "folder types". Then try closing and reopening.

    This may very well not work but there must be some way to kickstart your folder settings to remember Position/Size. I could not find anything in regedit for "windowsize" that would be pertinent. Other programs appear but not FileExplorer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8.1


    This is what I see in Folder Options:

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cannot Re-Size Windows to Larger Size
Related Threads
I can't get the desktop to properly size up on my screen. You can notice in the screenshot (in the lower right corner) that part of the taskbar is cut off. I have tried making adjustments via the NVIDIA control panel to no avail. Can anyone give me any advice on how to fix this issue. I'm using...
Hi All, I'm using my ASUS T100TA Transformer Book to type this message, it's got a 10.1" screen on it, as I'm getting older now..my vision isn't what it used to be. I've already changed the size of the icon's on the taskbar, so I could see them better..is there any way to make the notification...
Hello, I've just had my PC to be updated to Windows 8.1 and I'm running it on a screen resolution is 2560 x 1440 (a 27" monitor.) I'm happy they've addressed the DPI problems with the desktop and high resolutions in this release. However, I'm having a different sort of problem now... With the...
Solved Windows 8.1 Icon's size in Performance & Maintenance
Hello everyone, im not sure about whether this question has been answered or not but it seems that if I wanted to change all my icons in my computer to "large Icons" it doesn't appear to apply to all my other icons in different folders, how can I fix this? isn't there an option where you can turn...
Hello, First post. I'm trying to find a way to make icons of images in Explorer larger than the "extra large" option. I don't see the slider in Win 8 Explorer to do that. Is there something else that could be done to size the icons to what I want them to be? Thx!
I am using Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit. I would like to have IE10 and other windows open in the same position and size each time. The only options appear to be a scrunched down window or full screen. I notice if I close a program in full screen, it will open the next time in full screen. If I do not...
I wanted the desktop to be easier to navigate so I increased the font size to 125% as suggested by the OS however it looks like this increases the metro start screen's resolution making the tiles and text smaller. Anyway to change the metro start screen size back to normal while keeping the font...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook