Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How do I install all programs and data on #2 drive?

  1. #1


    Posts : 2
    Windows 8.0

    How do I install all programs and data on #2 drive?


    Hello. I am using Windows 8 as an Operating System - Not a Microsoft service - this means all it's supposed to do is run the programs I tell it to run, nothing else. I'm setting this up on a machine that has a 64 gigabyte hard drive and need to be able to install everything related to my programs to another drive or partition. I know I need to tell each installer to manually use my preferred folder on the other drive/partition BUT I also need Windows to NOT put any data inside the AppData folder - I need all appdata on my 2nd partition or drive as well, Not on the Windows partition. I'd also need to tell Windows Not to use My Documents for game save folders. I need Everything and I mean Everything on my 2nd drive/partition.

    How do I do this? Thanks!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Austin TX metro area
    Posts : 640
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]


    I recommend against putting everything except Windows Prime onto a 2nd hard-drive or a 2nd partition
    -- you will encounter lots of headaches and some problems attempting to dual-backup full images of both partitions, a restore of both partitions better work the first time every time.
    -- you will encounter problems anytime you have to do a factory restore for any reason
    -- you will encounter numerous software installs that will fight you every step of the way, you will maybe win a battle, however, very likely, the war of software integration/smooth operations will be continuous and sometimes easy-fought, sometimes hard-fought.

    Concerning "moving" your user accounts and/or AppData folders/files. Pretty much as above, however, instead -- you will find software packages that will "insist" on its way or Microsoft way or the GoodBye way [meaning cancelling installations].
    Moving user accounts will very likely cause you problems down the road, backups/restores, and other things.

    What I have done with data: I "tell" each and every data-creating, pic-creating, graph/spreadsheet-creating program or utility to Save or Save As [if such has an autosave option in its menu] to my data-partition which Windows calls D-drive.

    However, it's your computer, do as you will -- I would suggest also getting the advice of others here before commencing with your plans.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 2
    Windows 8.0


    Yeah.. thanks.. I get all that.. I read that somewhere already.. That doesn't negate my need for doing this.. so if you don't mind.. can you give me instructions on how to do as I ask? I know the risks and am willing to take the risks. heck.. this copy of windows will not ever be activated (I disabled activation manually - I don't mind putting up with nag screens. I use Spybot's Anti beacon to make sure Windows doesn't try to communicate with microsoft, have Updates and Defender disabled in favor of other apps for these purposes ), it will never get any Microsoft updates and i'll backup using a Macrium Reflect image in case I ever need to re-install. The partition with my data and apps installed could easily just be backed up as data, no need for an image. The only two things this system needs to do is surf the web and play games - I don't require any Microsoft's built in help to administrate, clean, update, protect my system for any reason.. that's not what I bought an operating system for. Call me paranoid if you must but since Microsoft has been caught stealing user data in the 2013 NSA Prism Scandal ( as well as all the draconian spying they do in Windows 10) I cannot abide even letting microsoft having a flag on their servers stating I activated a copy of Windows. That's too much info for these crooks to have. If I could find another OS that will play all my collection of Pc games from my original game dvd's i'd do it in New York second but sadly Linux isn't up to the task and React OS hasn't grown up yet.

    Understanding all this, How do I do it? Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    I recommend against putting everything except Windows Prime onto a 2nd hard-drive or a 2nd partition
    -- you will encounter lots of headaches and some problems attempting to dual-backup full images of both partitions, a restore of both partitions better work the first time every time.
    -- you will encounter problems anytime you have to do a factory restore for any reason
    -- you will encounter numerous software installs that will fight you every step of the way, you will maybe win a battle, however, very likely, the war of software integration/smooth operations will be continuous and sometimes easy-fought, sometimes hard-fought.

    Concerning "moving" your user accounts and/or AppData folders/files. Pretty much as above, however, instead -- you will find software packages that will "insist" on its way or Microsoft way or the GoodBye way [meaning cancelling installations].
    Moving user accounts will very likely cause you problems down the road, backups/restores, and other things.

    What I have done with data: I "tell" each and every data-creating, pic-creating, graph/spreadsheet-creating program or utility to Save or Save As [if such has an autosave option in its menu] to my data-partition which Windows calls D-drive.

    However, it's your computer, do as you will -- I would suggest also getting the advice of others here before commencing with your plans.
    Last edited by DivergentDroid; 17 Mar 2016 at 18:30.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Austin TX metro area
    Posts : 640
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]


    Because I have never done what you are wanting to do, I cannot advise you.
    **Await the others who have done such similar things -- follow their advice. **
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    MS Windows has been programmed from day one, to use the C: drive for it's own install and then use it for the location for programs, etc.
    That could be, because in the early PC's it was customary to have just one HD.

    Trying to go against how Windows is set up by MS, really isn't worth the effort. It's doomed to failure.

    Good Luck

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Austin TX metro area
    Posts : 640
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]


    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
    MS Windows has been programmed from day one, to use the C: drive for it's own install and then use it for the location for programs, etc. That could be, because in the early PC's it was customary to have just one HD. Trying to go against how Windows is set up by MS, really isn't worth the effort. It's doomed to failure. Good Luck
    If he bravely desire to try his ideas, your signature is what I would recommend before proceeding:
    Backup! Backup! Backup!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Austin TX metro area
    Posts : 640
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]


    "...I also need Windows to NOT put any data inside the AppData folder [Not on the Windows partition]
    - I need all appdata on my 2nd partition or drive as well..." -- DD, revised by rjs

    Moving user accounts which includes moving AppData underneath each user account is doable -- there are threads in several places that give instructions for doing so. I do not have these bookmarked, however, google searches should make these instructions available.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
    MS Windows has been programmed from day one, to use the C: drive for it's own install and then use it for the location for programs, etc. That could be, because in the early PC's it was customary to have just one HD. Trying to go against how Windows is set up by MS, really isn't worth the effort. It's doomed to failure. Good Luck
    If he bravely desire to try his ideas, your signature is what I would recommend before proceeding:
    Backup! Backup! Backup!
    LOL! I guess that's sort of like saying, "if you insist on shooting yourself in the foot, make sure you have plenty of bandages on hand".

    I don't like setting myself up for disaster. Having a smooth running PC is all important to me. I've been doing it since I built my first PC in ~1980. Following Microsoft's lead, in how to set up a hard drive, just seems to be the most logical. So it naturally bothers my sensibilities, when someone wants to go against the flow, so to speak.

    But since those people do exist, my signature line does express my desire to give the best advise,* for those who will bother to Read & Heed.
    * Backup! Backup! Backup!

    Thank you RolandJS

    TechnoMage
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

How do I install all programs and data on #2 drive?
Related Threads
Hi, I would first like to thank usasma for helping me a year ago with my laptop, I forgot to reply and mark my thread as solved. I haven't had a BSOD until now. My laptop has been acting up the last couple of weeks. I had a windows update a couple of weeks ago and then I hadn't restarted it...
In my opinion, games should be installed in SSD drive in order to benefit the decreased loading times. We would only get HDD speed if the games are installed in HDD drive. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. Thanks.
Hi I have been having an issue with my self built system, not sure if it is hard drive, virus or software conflict. 1- A month ago I started experiencing slow start up and afterwards there would be system hangs and the HDD light would be on for a while before system response. 2- Last week...
I am planning on building a new computer, and I want to put a 250GB SSD (Samsung 840 EVO) in it to use with 8.1 Pro. However, most of the programs and data I need are still on the old computer's boot drive, specifically all of my STEAM games (none of which I have the DVDs for.) My question is if...
Hi, When I go to Computer Management my main (OS) drive shows as "Disk 1" and my 2nd internal data drive shows as "Disk 0". Should I switch the SATA cables so that the main drive will show as "Disk 0 and the 2nd internal drive as "Disk 1"? Or should I ignore this? Thanks.
So, I was thinking about buying a 128GB SSD and installing Windows 8 on it, but installing my programs and games to my secondary HDD drive. My question is, how much performance would I gain if I'm still launching my programs and games from the HDD instead of the SSD? Also, would it just be...
I want to upgrade from Windows 7 64 bit Home edition - To Windows 8 64 bit Home Edition. I currently have my windows 7 installation on drive C (64GB SSD) My user profiles, Data and programmes are stored on Drive E ( 1TB HDD ) If i use the windows 8 upgrade option - What will happen?. ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook