Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Nope! Decided 8.1 not worth risk

  1. #11


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,595
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    That's great that you already back up your files to external drives. If you can do that, you can certainly also create a system image.

    Here's a tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect to create a system image: Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums

    At least part of the tutorial deals with creating a boot cd. This is important should your machine ever be in the condition where it cannot boot the OS, such as if your drive failed entirely. In that case, you would use the boot CD to boot the machine and use Macrium Reflect to restore your system image to a new drive.

    As I stated in an earlier post, I have upgraded about a dozen machines from 8 to 8.1 so no, the machines did not come with 8.1 already installed.

    Similar to what Fireberd said, I am a long time techie (not retired yet but very soon!). One reason why I would encourage you to make a system image is because I have seen too many times where someone had their hard drive fail and, even though they had their data backed up, it required lots of work and effort to install a new drive, re-install the OS, install all of their programs again (many people no longer have the install disks which is another issue) then finally recover their data from their backups. Restoring a system image is much easier, boot from the recovery CD you created, then restore the system image. The OS and all your programs will now now be intact and your disk will be restored to the way it was the day you made the image. If you have your data on the same disk then it too will be recovered. This is far better than using the manufacturer's recovery partition which restores your system back to the way it was the day it left the factory.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
    Not to be sarcastic, but if you don't want to upgrade why even make a post?
    ----------------------
    I posted with intention to do the 8.1 upgrade(!) but still wanted to confirm my decision reading 'pros/cons. .. - Then once weighing the advices on this board , it would then become 'my decision.... i was not AGAINST doing the upgrade initially ! thus my post ! i hope this clarifies your question? (''why even make such a post?)
    It appears to me after reading how experienced the posters are etc. and know what to do should trouble happen. I don't have that privilege.
    It's nice to have the knowledge and 'encourage' others to ''learn new things''(stated on this Board) ... but considering without the 'knowledge /experience, when it comes to computers and updates 'if' some glitch would occur during the 'learn the new thing'' process (updates, etc) then what does the inexperienced non-techie do at such a point?! the answer is obvious ! Don't start it in the first place. Know one's 'limitations' .....I liken such advice (learn a new thing) to telling someone who has never had swimming lesson and is tenuous...''oh.... just to jump into the pool ...''learn a new thing'' !!... sad it doesn't work that way. have a great day !
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,595
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    I can understand your reluctance, that is a hurdle to overcome. We're not telling you to jump in the pool and teach yourself to swim, we're trying to hold your hand and help you learn to swim. There's a difference.

    One thing that I personally need to keep in mind is that many people only have 1 computer and if it gets clobbered somehow they are dead in the water. I have the luxury of owning more than 1 computer so if one of mine gets clobbered, I have several to switch over to so I can keep on goming without missing a beat. But that makes it all the more important that someone with only 1 computer keep a system image around.

    As for your question about what happens when a glitch occurs during the "new thing" process and what does the inexperienced non-techie do at that point, that's what I have been trying to help you with. Once you have a system image saved, you have then "protected" yourself so that if a glitch does occur you have the resources to recover. That protection also helps guard you against other problems as well such as your hard drive failing. What would you do if the next time you tried to boot your computer it would no longer boot because your drive had failed?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    I can understand your reluctance, that is a hurdle to overcome. We're not telling you to jump in the pool and teach yourself to swim, we're trying to hold your hand and help you learn to swim. There's a difference.

    One thing that I personally need to keep in mind is that many people only have 1 computer and if it gets clobbered somehow they are dead in the water. I have the luxury of owning more than 1 computer so if one of mine gets clobbered, I have several to switch over to so I can keep on goming without missing a beat. But that makes it all the more important that someone with only 1 computer keep a system image around.

    As for your question about what happens when a glitch occurs during the "new thing" process and what does the inexperienced non-techie do at that point, that's what I have been trying to help you with. Once you have a system image saved, you have then "protected" yourself so that if a glitch does occur you have the resources to recover. That protection also helps guard you against other problems as well such as your hard drive failing. What would you do if the next time you tried to boot your computer it would no longer boot because your drive had failed?
    -----------------------------
    THANK yhou for your reply /explanation .... now i understand why you suggested an 'image' ...ok ... i did go to link you sent but couldn't use it ...forgot why - maybe not applicable with the program - i think my Lenovo offers a 'back=up' program ok - yes just checked - offers back to ''out of box'' state or ''last point' wanted...i assume i'd choose ''last point'' wanted... thanks so much
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,595
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    I'm not sure what you mean by you couldn't use it. Was it that you couldn't view the link to the tutorial or that you couldn't use Macrium Reflect?

    Macrium Reflect is free and you can download it from here: Macrium Reflect Free
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by you couldn't use it. Was it that you couldn't view the link to the tutorial or that you couldn't use Macrium Reflect?

    Macrium Reflect is free and you can download it from here: Macrium Reflect Free
    OK!! GOT IT THIS TIME !!! LOL - THANKS SO MUCH !!! is it a simple install ? i had no problem installing MalWareBytes and also SuperAntiSpy ware ....if it's 'that' simple installing after the download then i won't ge too nervous ! thanks so much !
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,595
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    The only thing slightly tricky about Macrium is creating the boot CD. It isn't needed to make a system image and, in fact, you may never need it. However, make sure you create it anyway and put it in a safe place because if you ever do need it and didn't create it, you'll definitely regret it.

    If you are nervous about installing new software then another thing you should try to learn about is creating system restore points. That's a subject for another day, don't want to overwhelm you!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    The only thing slightly tricky about Macrium is creating the boot CD. It isn't needed to make a system image and, in fact, you may never need it. However, make sure you create it anyway and put it in a safe place because if you ever do need it and didn't create it, you'll definitely regret it.
    If you are nervous about installing new software then another thing you should try to learn about is creating system restore points. That's a subject for another day, don't want to overwhelm you!
    ---------------------------
    OK ... have to put this computer situation on 'hold' for a few days but i do thank you for trying to help...if i'm going to try something 'new' , it will be skydiving ! ....think i'll just get a local 'tech' do the 8.1 update and check my computer to make sure has all applicable 'updates' required and forget about doing this job myself. Sometimes it's best to admit one's 'limit' than try to prove ''i can do it'' I.E. (i'm 90 yrs old, poor vision, poor reflexes but darn it, i can still get up on that roof and i'm going to prove it '' (happens every day - i read the papers LOL) and no! i'm not 90 - LOL ...and i do like to learn 'new things' but a computer's 'new things' doesn't challange me ....LOL... again you've been very kind ! thanks again !
    PS TO ANYONE ELSE WITH CRITICISIMS ON MY DECISION: ...''HAVE A GREAT DAY'' ! LOL
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    I'm one of those that actually cannot upgrade because my processors won't accommodate Windows 8.1, due to slight differences. That's OK. I'm typing this from work, and I'm using a Windows XP machine without ANY problems after almost two years of post-support, Using Windows 8 after January, can't be any worse than that (and it runs loads better than Vista)

    One nice thing: with no updates, I completely escape that telemetry BS that plagues Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. No upgrade nags to Windows 10 for me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    According to a post I saw, Microsoft support for Win 8 (not 8.1) ends in January. It will be just like XP.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Nope! Decided 8.1 not worth risk
Related Threads
How much is my pc worth? in Chillout Room
Hey guys. I need an estimate of how much my pc may be worth? I origally posted this on the windows 7 forum so im just going to link you to that then you can report back here? Thanks so much! :) Heres the link How much is my pc worth? - Windows 7 Forums
Read more at: ICANN has decided to ban the use of dotless domains | ZDNet
for whatever reason windows defender decided to stop working e couple of days ago... whether a quick scan or full scan it stops about 2/3 the way through and reports the following error. i have no other av installed, no remnants of another av on my system, scannow shows no problems, dism health...
SSD Worth it or not? in Chillout Room
Alright here's a good question, poll above, discuss below. Are SSD drives worth it? I am thinking about them in my next build but I'm not going to invest if they aren't mastered enough for long term use.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook