Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Help needed asap

  1. #1


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')

    Help needed asap


    Win.8 64 bit

    set computer to require password - (now don't remember how i did that was moving-wanted it 'secure')....
    yesterday via on line instructions (win.+R -typed in something now i forget) , tried to cancel password...it didn't take so continued using computer - shut down for the nite but signing-on this a.m. it asked for my password as usual but this time it asked for my microsoft acct (original PW didn't work anymore) - i have an Outlook email acct so i tried that but that + its password didn't work .... tried alternates offered ...then don't remember what i hit - i think it was one of the two 'keys' showing below where you'd put in your password, and finally the px of 'owner' showed up and i typed in my name (owner-original PW) and it worked .... what can i do now before i shut down computer for the nite ? thanks in advance..

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    If you just want a quick solution so you can shut down for the night and sort this out tomorrow, go to control panel, User Accounts and create a new admin user account with a password(write it down), don't worry about apps and programs, and then tomorrow you can sort everything out, the main thing is you have an admin account you can boot into to make any necessary changes later.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    If you just want a quick solution so you can shut down for the night and sort this out tomorrow, go to control panel, User Accounts and create a new admin user account with a password(write it down), don't worry about apps and programs, and then tomorrow you can sort everything out, the main thing is you have an admin account you can boot into to make any necessary changes later.
    ----------------------
    SINCE i finally got online (now forgot how) and before i read your above advice, i went to PC Settings (lower right screen) /took me to : change password settings/users/sign-in options/''change password'' choice and typed- in my original p.w. (the one i was using before i messed around and got into trouble this a.m.) ...this is what i originally did to set the password i was using prior to my move so no one could access my computer ...never used a password before that time .... was this ok to do? thanks !
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    As long as it accepted it you're good. You may want to leave it that way and type netplwiz and untick user must enter password and then enter your password twice, and then you won't have to enter the password again unless you change the setting(this is what I do) Just make sure you save your password somewhere safe, if you should need it again. Under the advanced tab you can also check what passwords you have saved on your PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by cliff s View Post
    as long as it accepted it you're good. You may want to leave it that way and type netplwiz and untick user must enter password and then enter your password twice, and then you won't have to enter the password again unless you change the setting(this is what i do) just make sure you save your password somewhere safe, if you should need it again. Under the advanced tab you can also check what passwords you have saved on your pc.
    there is no 'check after i went to ''change pc settings/users/sign-in options/change pw.'' but how do i know what i described to you 'was' accepted ? I'm afraid now to shut-down the computer
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    This is hard because I have been on Win10 for a while now. If you changed your password in the settings app entered the "new password" then confirmed it by entering a second time be it a microsoft account or local it was changed, Just make sure you're on a Admin account, a quick check would be to try and open up an admin command prompt, and if you don't have to enter a password, you're in an admin account already.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    This is hard because I have been on Win10 for a while now. If you changed your password in the settings app entered the "new password" then confirmed it by entering a second time be it a microsoft account or local it was changed, Just make sure you're on a Admin account, a quick check would be to try and open up an admin command prompt, and if you don't have to enter a password, you're in an admin account already.
    I JUST REPEATED THE CHANGE WITH SAME PASSWORD , CONFIRMING THE PASSWORD 2X, ETC. - IT SHOWED THAT IT WORKED AND IT'S SHOWING AS A ''LOCAL' ACCOUNT ...BUT WILL THIS NOW SUPERCEDE THE NEED TO ENTER MY MICROSOFT ACCOUNT TITLE AND ALLOW ME NOW TO SIGN IN JUST USING THIS ''LOCAL ACCOUNT'' (THIER WORDS) ....but your other suggestion to make sure 'it' took was to open up an admin command - went to User account - saw upper right showed adm. acct password protected...what does 'that' mean? OK WENT TO 'users'' saw upper rite area stating ''local account'' administrator password protected'' does that mean when i just set-up this 'local account' (actual words showing ''local account created'') when i completed changing the password is now working and all i ahve to do when i boot up is enter the new password i just did ? sorry if i confused you with all of this ..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by edythe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    This is hard because I have been on Win10 for a while now. If you changed your password in the settings app entered the "new password" then confirmed it by entering a second time be it a microsoft account or local it was changed, Just make sure you're on a Admin account, a quick check would be to try and open up an admin command prompt, and if you don't have to enter a password, you're in an admin account already.
    if did 'take' i guess because i had to enter the 'new' password 2x as you said above ....but your other suggestion to make sure 'it' took was to open up an admin command - went to User account - saw upper right showed adm. acct password protected...what does 'that' mean?
    That just means you are using an admin account with a password. That's good, just like me:
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edythe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    This is hard because I have been on Win10 for a while now. If you changed your password in the settings app entered the "new password" then confirmed it by entering a second time be it a microsoft account or local it was changed, Just make sure you're on a Admin account, a quick check would be to try and open up an admin command prompt, and if you don't have to enter a password, you're in an admin account already.
    if did 'take' i guess because i had to enter the 'new' password 2x as you said above ....but your other suggestion to make sure 'it' took was to open up an admin command - went to User account - saw upper right showed adm. acct password protected...what does 'that' mean?
    That just means you are using an admin account with a password. That's good, just like me:
    Click image for larger version
    HI -=i see you have an actual name showing in that upper right portion under ''user accounts'' .... all mine is showing is ''owner'' (local acct) and not the name i chose as a password ...is that o.k. if just ''owner' is showing (reqiring a password)
    FINAL RESULT: JUST NOW ...DID 'RESTART'' HELD MY BREATH TO SEE AND WHAT I DID WORKED ! (CHANGING PC SETTINGS/USERS/SIGN IN OPTIONS/CHANGE PASSWORD ... IT WORKED ... THANKS SO MUCH FOR STAYING WITH ME ... I'M NO LONGER GOING TO ATTEMPT TO GET RID OF THE PW 'REQUIREMENT' ...THAT'S WHAT GOT ME INTO TROUBLE IN THE FIRST PLACE !!! I'LL LIVE WITH HAVING TO GO TO SIGN-IN AREA -ONE CLICK/THEN TYPE IN MY P.W. - ANOTHER CLICK AND I'M AT WINDOWS ... FOR 'TWO CLICKS' I CAN LIVE WITH DOING THIS ...ACH ... IT'S A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH WIN.8 LOL... MANY THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    This is Windows 10, I can't remember for 8 if it's the same, but I would guess so. I'm using a Microsoft account if that helps. If you look at this tutorial Shawn's shows the name he uses too. User Account - Add a New User in Windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help needed asap
Related Threads
After what I experienced yesterday I feel compelled to warn everybody here who uses Acronis True Image 2015. I know that there has already been a discussion about all the features Acronis has cut out with the release of 2015 edition. But so far I did not pay attention since I used True Image for...
I recently got a new laptop, which is Windows 8. However, when word expired I had to buy it. It installed perfectly on the Mac (However the Mac is currently un-usable because the keyboard is dead :/), and it said that Windows 8 encountered a problem trying to install it on the laptop. Now I cant...
Help asap in General Support
I downloaded and install updates on hp635(window 8) when I restart d system, d screen flashes several tyms b4 geting to s password screen. And when I put my password it shows mw a black screen with movable pointer and not the startup screen. Pls what do I do.
Help Me i cant play minecraft because of amd they have not realeased windows 8 drivers for my ati radeon hd 3200, can some on help me
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook