Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 technically is a step backwards in design....

  1. #1


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro

    Windows 8 technically is a step backwards in design....


    There have been a few pre-RTM screenshots released of 8, and it seems on the Desktop, window transparency is gone while the Taskbar still has it. Another item is the fact you can choose TWO colors, one for the windows and one for the Taskbar.

    But it reminds me of something...
    Click image for larger version
    The Windows Longhorn concept, yes you said! It's really interesting how well it compares to 8.

    Click image for larger version

    Both have a transparent Taskbar, non-transparent windows, window UI controls that are fairly minimal to the point where it kind of does focus on the window contents themselves versus the UI, there is a sidebar, but one does something totally else but does have items that both can have, both have a newly designed Start button, both have better customization, both have a focus on social networking more than previous versions, both have Windows Explorer windows that take up a larger part of the top of the window, both are animated in design, and more importantly, both are designed to challenge an apple product head on.

    What do you think?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    USA
    Posts : 100
    Windows 7 Professional


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    There have been a few pre-RTM screenshots released of 8, and it seems on the Desktop, window transparency is gone while the Taskbar still has it. Another item is the fact you can choose TWO colors, one for the windows and one for the Taskbar.

    But it reminds me of something...
    Click image for larger version
    The Windows Longhorn concept, yes you said! It's really interesting how well it compares to 8.

    Click image for larger version

    Both have a transparent Taskbar, non-transparent windows, window UI controls that are fairly minimal to the point where it kind of does focus on the window contents themselves versus the UI, there is a sidebar, but one does something totally else but does have items that both can have, both have a newly designed Start button, both have better customization, both have a focus on social networking more than previous versions, both have Windows Explorer windows that take up a larger part of the top of the window, both are animated in design, and more importantly, both are designed to challenge an apple product head on.

    What do you think?
    Windows 8 is a step backwards in a lot of things besides the interface looks. I don't like the hybrid boot because my computer isn't cleanly shut down. I like to boot my pc to a clean state when I need to. Anyway, we can all stay with Windows 7 until 2020 since Windows 8 isn't that great.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Microsoft has set very strict guidelines for this new OS release. One being no artificial colors or flavors allowed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    There have been a few pre-RTM screenshots released of 8, and it seems on the Desktop, window transparency is gone while the Taskbar still has it. Another item is the fact you can choose TWO colors, one for the windows and one for the Taskbar.

    But it reminds me of something...
    Click image for larger version
    The Windows Longhorn concept, yes you said! It's really interesting how well it compares to 8.

    Click image for larger version

    Both have a transparent Taskbar, non-transparent windows, window UI controls that are fairly minimal to the point where it kind of does focus on the window contents themselves versus the UI, there is a sidebar, but one does something totally else but does have items that both can have, both have a newly designed Start button, both have better customization, both have a focus on social networking more than previous versions, both have Windows Explorer windows that take up a larger part of the top of the window, both are animated in design, and more importantly, both are designed to challenge an apple product head on.

    What do you think?
    Windows 8 is a step backwards in a lot of things besides the interface looks. I don't like the hybrid boot because my computer isn't cleanly shut down. I like to boot my pc to a clean state when I need to. Anyway, we can all stay with Windows 7 until 2020 since Windows 8 isn't that great.
    Hmmm, you can easily disable the hybrid boot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    USA
    Posts : 100
    Windows 7 Professional


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    There have been a few pre-RTM screenshots released of 8, and it seems on the Desktop, window transparency is gone while the Taskbar still has it. Another item is the fact you can choose TWO colors, one for the windows and one for the Taskbar.

    But it reminds me of something...
    Click image for larger version
    The Windows Longhorn concept, yes you said! It's really interesting how well it compares to 8.

    Click image for larger version

    Both have a transparent Taskbar, non-transparent windows, window UI controls that are fairly minimal to the point where it kind of does focus on the window contents themselves versus the UI, there is a sidebar, but one does something totally else but does have items that both can have, both have a newly designed Start button, both have better customization, both have a focus on social networking more than previous versions, both have Windows Explorer windows that take up a larger part of the top of the window, both are animated in design, and more importantly, both are designed to challenge an apple product head on.

    What do you think?
    Windows 8 is a step backwards in a lot of things besides the interface looks. I don't like the hybrid boot because my computer isn't cleanly shut down. I like to boot my pc to a clean state when I need to. Anyway, we can all stay with Windows 7 until 2020 since Windows 8 isn't that great.
    Hmmm, you can easily disable the hybrid boot.
    I'm not going to bother, because I'm sticking with Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8 technically is a step backwards in design....
Related Threads
I have a very old machine (HP Pavilion zv6000) with a RADEON Mobility Xpress 200m graphics card. Apparently, the drivers for Vista are supposed to work with Win7, (and by extension, I should think, Win8). These drivers are contained in the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) v. 10.2. However, they...
Hello everyone. So to start off, my idea and solution to a problem i previously had (Viper4Windows cant play on Windows 8.1), i thought about why not Dual Booting Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. Windows 7 works fine with Viper4Windows, and having a Dual Boot is sometimes good to have. I also got a new...
Network install step by step in Network & Sharing
Please edit this if needed or post a better or different document. Thanks Basic rules of networking on Windows (I'm assuming this includes 8, 8.1) 1. Computers need to be in the same WORKGROUP 2. Computers in the same network need to have different IP numbers 3. Computers should be...
Time moving backwards in Performance & Maintenance
The clock on my system is moving backward e.g after 10 PM it moves to 9 PM. :mad: Yesterday I updated the time 4 times in one day from time-nw.nist.gov
Windows 7 is great. Windows 8 is an appalling OS with virtually no thought given to the millions of desktop PC users. When support for W7 expires I will be buying a Mac.
Source: Windows 8 step-by-step installation screenshots leak | Windows 8 Center
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook