Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I've had a lot to say about Windows 8, but here are my final thoughts

  1. #31


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Legacy, you seem to speak as if you are speaking for everyone. You make claims that you can't back up. You state ridiculous conclusions.

    Did Microsoft "lack confidence" in the Office Ribbon UI? Certainly not, yet they didn't make it optional. It was accepted, and people moved on.

    Microsoft is not making it optional because this is the way Windows is going, period, end of story. They are extremely confident in it, and they aren't hedging their bets. That speaks strongly.

    Now, I am as much of a doubter of the benefits of Metro as anyone, but I'm willing to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, then it's not really a big deal. Windows 7 still exists. And chances are, it will be around until long after Windows 9 is out the door.

    Microsoft is not changing their mind on this. It's way too late for that. Continuing to whine about it is just being.. well.. whiney. There is nothing you can do to change this outcome, and certainly whining on a forum is not going to help.

    Frankly, I'm sick of hearing people complain about this. Windows 8 is what it is, and if you don't like it. Don't use it. I fail to get what you think you're going to accomplish by complaining to people who have nothing to do with the development of windows.

    You certainly have a right to speak your mind, but i'd appreciate it if you didn't repeat yourself constantly. You've made your point, repeatedly, and nothing has or will change. What exactly do think is going to happen?

    Actually I am speaking for at least 50% of MS customers and/ or potential customers. Those people do not like Metro UI for all environments. A 50% + dislike rate for a yet unreleased product like this is a very dangerous thing, even you'd have to agree with that.
    Ah, the voice of arrogance, it usually kills businesses when they fail to listen to their best customers.

    What's the matter...MS doesn't like looking at stubbornness in the mirror?

    In the end the customer always wins.
    The customer that refuses to accept new technologies, new design, and new form factors I guess will win the day...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    I've not been on the bandwagon or preaching the advantages of Windows 8. However, I do have a box setup at work and am forcing myself to use it in order to get a real world feel for it.

    One thing that has me troubled thus far, is say I am running an application in the desktop (the Microsoft Lync client). And then I switch to Metro and launch the full screen IE browser. So, while I am using my full screen IE browser, somebody sends me an IM via Lync. Well, it popped up on my desktop, but nothing told me about it from my full screen IE in the Metro interface. There seems to some functionality lacking that tie the 2 systems together.

    Not having a start button is just an exercise in frustration. Until I get the apps that I want launched, and pinned to the taskbar in the desktop it's like being stuck on a machine that isn't mine. I honestly don't want to switch over to Metro, start typing, find my app, launch it and then come back to the desktop. I'd rather just stay on the desktop. Granted, I can right click in the absolute lower left and bring up the Power User Menu, launch run, and find what I want, launch it and then pin in...but that's quite a few hoops to jump through. It just seemed quicker and easier having a start/menu bar to pick from.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Perth West Australia
    Posts : 128
    1st PC: Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail. 2nd PC: Vista Ulimtate 32bit OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Uh hu! Keep talking!
    There's really nothing to talk about because the various claims you make as to the efficacy of Metro, etc, are vacuous and simply unbelievable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The customer that refuses to accept new technologies, new design, and new form factors I guess will win the day ...
    Absolutely, when the new technology is used in an environment it was not designed for, meaning desktop as opposed to Tablet/Touch Phone.

    And itís not actually new technology, just catch up with Apple, Android, Google, etc.

    I've been doing tablet/tiles GUI and apps on my $600 waste of money Sony Ericsson Neo Android mobile phone for over 12 months ... AND HATING IT! It's half computer, half phone and not really good at either function; which is what you get when you create a hybrid!

    Microsoft Robot, there's no need to be bedazzled and starry eyed, just because it's Microsoft finally doing it! And doing it at the expense of their loyal desktop followers, when they could so easily accomodate both camps ... but point blank refuse!

    Microsoft's arrogance alone in this respect will cost them many sales ... even from those who would otherwise be prepared to do the work arounds to use W8 as a desktop OS ... but won't because of M$'s arrogance.

    Having spent a great deal of my life time in marketing, the one rule no company can survive breaking, no matter how big they are, is to ignore the wants of their clientelle. Way back in the mid nineteen sixties, the leading soap company in the USA decided to economize by cutting their advertising campaign ... and dropped from top spot into oblivion in quick time.

    Regretably, the downside of advertising is that it's often all smoke and mirrors, which makes it possible to sell an inferior product to some poor unsuspecting souls. On this premise, M$ will make some sales with W8. But, as we all know, you can fool some of the people some of the time ... etc.
    Last edited by poppa bear; 15 Jun 2012 at 22:53.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Uh hu! Keep talking!
    There's really nothing to talk about because the various claims you make as to the efficacy of Metro, etc, are vacuous and simply unbelievable.
    I've been one of the most strident givers of my opinion regarding Metro....BUT I don't hate Metro ,because it makes great sense on phones and tablets, it just is not a rational and practical choice on any desktop for anyone engaged in productivity.

    I notice that Cokebot glosses right over my distinctions regarding Metro and new technology, I am as interested in new tech as anyone BUT if it doesn't make things better, or more efficient,
    the "newness" isn't enough to win me over. The old saying is still true just because it is new doesn't make it "better".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    I think some contributors here are over thinking this too much.
    Chill... Windows 8 can be an extremely effective, efficient and productive Operating System if you learn how to use it !
    I think some folks want it to be perfect.
    It will never be perfect.
    Apple is not perfect, 7 is not perfect, Linux is not perfect.

    System Administrators in business will still have access to control the OS with gpedit.msc
    ...making the OS for productivity only!

    (Microsoft Management Console)
    (Group Policy Editor)
    try it in 8 > run gpedit.msc

    Administrators can block users from access to the Store
    and other blocks
    Last edited by mdmd; 16 Jun 2012 at 09:24.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Perth West Australia
    Posts : 128
    1st PC: Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail. 2nd PC: Vista Ulimtate 32bit OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Chill ... Windows 8 can be an extremely effective, efficient and productive Operating System if you learn how to use it!
    Why should we have to 'learn how to use it', when we've already got the perfect set-up in Win7? Just give us Win7 with the improvements in the OS as a free update, without the Metro Tablet/Touch-phone promotion!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    you have to learn how to use it because it is new

    8 is the metro explorer shell.
    The OS model is the metro.
    Windows Server 2012 uses the metro.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    [QUOTE=poppa bear;97090]
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Uh hu! Keep talking!
    There's really nothing to talk about because the various claims you make as to the efficacy of Metro, etc, are vacuous and simply unbelievable.
    QUOTE]
    Oh, I thought you had more to say because your response to mine had nothing to do with anything. I was just saying that one UI to rule them all can be a huge success for Microsoft, but apparently internet devices will be in our teeth....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Uh hu! Keep talking!
    There's really nothing to talk about because the various claims you make as to the efficacy of Metro, etc, are vacuous and simply unbelievable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The customer that refuses to accept new technologies, new design, and new form factors I guess will win the day ...
    Absolutely, when the new technology is used in an environment it was not designed for, meaning desktop as opposed to Tablet/Touch Phone.

    And it’s not actually new technology, just catch up with Apple, Android, Google, etc.

    I've been doing tablet/tiles GUI and apps on my $600 waste of money Sony Ericsson Neo Android mobile phone for over 12 months ... AND HATING IT! It's half computer, half phone and not really good at either function; which is what you get when you create a hybrid!

    Microsoft Robot, there's no need to be bedazzled and starry eyed, just because it's Microsoft finally doing it! And doing it at the expense of their loyal desktop followers, when they could so easily accomodate both camps ... but point blank refuse!

    Microsoft's arrogance alone in this respect will cost them many sales ... even from those who would otherwise be prepared to do the work arounds to use W8 as a desktop OS ... but won't because of M$'s arrogance.

    Having spent a great deal of my life time in marketing, the one rule no company can survive breaking, no matter how big they are, is to ignore the wants of their clientelle. Way back in the mid nineteen sixties, the leading soap company in the USA decided to economize by cutting their advertising campaign ... and dropped from top spot into oblivion in quick time.

    Regretably, the downside of advertising is that it's often all smoke and mirrors, which makes it possible to sell an inferior product to some poor unsuspecting souls. On this premise, M$ will make some sales with W8. But, as we all know, you can fool some of the people some of the time ... etc.
    Well, if you're using android, then you're one of many that are obviously dissatisfied with the product, but that's android. All it is just a minicomputer with a phone built on it, and yes, it doesn't do well at either. That's a hardware hybrid that doesn't work because it's a terrible form factor to do that with.

    I'm not bedazzled at metro design, though it is cool to me. I'm more into the fact that Microsoft is pushing forward the "one UI to rule them all." I think it's fascinating to have a similar, though somewhat different user experience tailored to that device on different devices that all work together that look similar to each other. I don't see why that's all horrid. I guess I would see it as horrid if I refused to use it.....yadayadyadaya......

    See, what I don't understand is why you feel compelled to troll about Windows 8 and how it's inferior to use on a non-touch system. I find that interesting. Instead of realizing the fact that Windows 7 is still there and will be there until 2022 (the best desktop OS I bet in your eyes), you seem to want to blast down 8 in vain. Some people are open to new things, some obviously aren't. Sure, it takes like, about two minutes to make Windows 8 a little more Desktop friendly, but oh well. That's just what you need to do when a Release Preview still wants to show off improvements to some metro styled apps. After that, it's smooth sailing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I've not been on the bandwagon or preaching the advantages of Windows 8. However, I do have a box setup at work and am forcing myself to use it in order to get a real world feel for it.

    One thing that has me troubled thus far, is say I am running an application in the desktop (the Microsoft Lync client). And then I switch to Metro and launch the full screen IE browser. So, while I am using my full screen IE browser, somebody sends me an IM via Lync. Well, it popped up on my desktop, but nothing told me about it from my full screen IE in the Metro interface. There seems to some functionality lacking that tie the 2 systems together.

    Not having a start button is just an exercise in frustration. Until I get the apps that I want launched, and pinned to the taskbar in the desktop it's like being stuck on a machine that isn't mine. I honestly don't want to switch over to Metro, start typing, find my app, launch it and then come back to the desktop. I'd rather just stay on the desktop. Granted, I can right click in the absolute lower left and bring up the Power User Menu, launch run, and find what I want, launch it and then pin in...but that's quite a few hoops to jump through. It just seemed quicker and easier having a start/menu bar to pick from.
    If it would make it easier, on the Start Screen, you right click and click on All apps, like how you would go to All Programs on the start menu. From there, you can right click on something, and pin it to the Taskbar.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
I've had a lot to say about Windows 8, but here are my final thoughts
Related Threads
Hello everyone, So I am looking at buying a Windows Phone with my tax return and I am curious for those of you who own or are thinking about owning what your experience has been with the platform? I only use my phone for social media, texting, skype, calling, music player and gps. As far as I...
Hi there. I decided to upgrade a few days ago to Windows 8 as I decided £25 wasn't much of a loss if I didn't like it. I wasn't too sure what to expect but I'm mostly presently surprised. The main big change that originally annoyed me when I first saw the early versions of Windows 8 was the...
It's been 2 days now since I completed my hellish install of Windows 8 (which, itself, took 2 days) and I'm now just getting round to playing with some of the features. Sure it's clean, nice, fancy... all of that, but there's one overwhelming issue that I just can't quite put my finger on and it's...
I really wanted to like windows 8. When I first started using the OS, the new metro apps, etc, I saw a lot of potential, and I still do. The OS seems snappy at first, until you start doing some serious multi-tasking, and then it really seems to bog. My gut feel as to why this occurs, is that...
more The Developer Preview failed to install here on any VM. Likewise the RP refused to go on a VM as well while the CP went on two different releases of VM Player without a hitch except no internet connection on one VM Player release(Dec. 2011) but would connect on the later(Feb. 2012). Besides...
First Thoughts about Windows 8 in General Support
This should probably be posted elsewhere on this forum, so apologies in advance. I've installed the 8250 CP version under VMWare Player and have been experimenting with it for a week or two. It supports most of my apps and the older ones I have to use VM XP to use anyway, since even Windows 7...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook