Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


What did people do when Windows 95 came out?

  1. #71


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    I guess I am dribbling.
    Not scoring any points.
    Oh well.
    It is Windows and in Beta and will always have issues.
    I do not get it!
    Many have had problems with freezing, crashes, driver problems, dual boot problems, etc, etc...
    I have had no problems. Period.
    It has worked perfectly in every aspect.
    I think every aspect of 8 is fresh, new and very effective.
    Here, I am advocating.

    Many do want a new OS that's like the old OS.
    Start Menu - Start Menu - Start Menu etc...
    Yeoh!

    I loathe the Start Menu!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Camarillo, Ca.
    Posts : 59
    All Versions Of Windows


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    I don't want a new OS that's like the old OS. Why would anyone? It doesn't even make sense.
    I agree. I do not see myself upgrading my gaming machine at home for windows 8 unless it performs so well that it cannot be ignored. Right now a 12 second faster boot time is not enough. It however is enough for my work laptop. Anything to eek out every ounce of performance from this under-whelming dell. Windows 7 is working for me at home, I like 8 on my work laptop, when I am at home I don't find myself wanting to make the change. Not like I did with Vista to 7. (user interface completely aside)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    I am not trying to convince or sell the start screen.

    opinions vary,
    I do not believe it makes it worse.
    Editing the start screen is much simpler and faster than editing the legacy start menu.
    Click a tile is quicker and easier than searching thru 14 layers of start menu links.
    Pinning stuff to your taskbar is like having tiles on your taskbar...easy.

    Some folks on this forum have said they don't want to learn or know how to use 8.
    They just want their Windows 95 start menu or Windows 7 start menu and that's it!
    Basically, they want a new OS but it must be the same as the old OS!
    Yikes!

    ................
    Actually, ... some may not know this ...

    if you install mega programs,
    you can go to the start screen and right click 20 or 30 tiles at once,
    and unpin all of them with 1 click.
    You could unpin 100 tiles with 1 click.
    They would still all be there in the "all apps" area.

    Many would say it's a step backward but,

    ...the start screen could have every tile unpinned
    except the desktop tile.

    Nice and clean.
    Add a few apps.
    Add a few tiles.
    Pin a few to the taskbar.
    Nice and clean.

    What's wrong with that?
    again... not trying to convince.

    I have seen some comments by folks who find the start screen to be offensive.
    ...

    On this thread I am making the point that users of Windows 95 and up
    have always had to spend alot of time configuring stuff.
    If you tried to clear that much out from the start menu, it would take A LOT more clicking to delete individual links and folders, clicking OK to delete, and clicking back open the start menu since it would close sometimes doing that. That was something I did last after a new install of 7, it was also not my favorite thing to do.....too tedious.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Many do want a new OS that's like the old OS.
    Start Menu - Start Menu - Start Menu etc...
    Yeoh!

    I loathe the Start Menu!
    That's awesome. I don't. Our opinions cancel each other out - see how it works? That doesn't make yours or mine better than the other, it means we think differently. It means we use our computers differently - and THIS is why people don't like Metro. It forces them to use their computer in a way that they find counterproductive, as well as counterintuitive. It's a lot deeper than just wanting a Start Button.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by killericarus View Post
    I'm amazed at you guys metro is nothing more than an advanced speed dial. Lol everyone bashed windows for not having the ability to be more user friendly well now it is and everyone is so used to it not being that they balk? So the only thing I see is there are a lot of permission issues they stepped up the game and made it possible to prevent a lot of user error wich is on thing linux will never ever have. Anyone ever use windows blinds or windows fx the tech in win 8 has been used on destops of xp and vist and 7 for quite a few years now its just properly integrated so it won't crash the shell and won't have to restart. Allmost all issues with windows have been dealing with restarts and driver installs or updates. And bsods now finally the majority of these issues will be none existant of cours new issues will arise like network security and permissions. We now have a shell that is almost bulletproof apps can crash without a bsod that took twenty years to make happen
    That's good way to put the Start Screen, a better speed dial. I think to me it's like the Windows Phone 7's alphabet jump list where you tap a letter tile, and it makes a mosaic you can you jump right to songs or whatever that start with Y. On the Desktop, I think it's like that. Go to the Start Screen, click on a program you use sometimes, go back to the Desktop. Repeat if needed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Camarillo, Ca.
    Posts : 59
    All Versions Of Windows


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Many do want a new OS that's like the old OS.
    Start Menu - Start Menu - Start Menu etc...
    Yeoh!

    I loathe the Start Menu!
    That's awesome. I don't. Our opinions cancel each other out - see how it works? That doesn't make yours or mine better than the other, it means we think differently. It means we use our computers differently - and THIS is why people don't like Metro. It forces them to use their computer in a way that they find counterproductive, as well as counterintuitive. It's a lot deeper than just wanting a Start Button.

    Agreed. I use 7 at home so I can get stuff done quickly. I am on my time and don't want to waste it. At work I use 8 on my laptop where I am less concerned about priductivity and get things done in a timely fashion. LOL!

    I have users that I finally weened off of 98 only 2 years ago because they refused to give it up. Can you imagine trying to move them from xp to 8 metro... They complained that XP was to different from 98. I know what you are going to say... and here is my counter before hand... IT is a service based industry and the like all service based industries the customer comes first so there is no forcing the metro UI on people when there is an alternative. Something I think MS has forgotten along the way.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Maybe MS will introduce Windows 7.5 or Windows 8.1
    It might happen!

    I do not believe, for the average user, it is deeper than the start menu.
    For a large percentage of forum contributors, it's the start menu.
    They want NO METRO START SCREEN.
    ...that means they want it to be the same as Windows 7.

    I previously have not mentioned gamers.
    I suppose gamers would like 8 to be better for gaming.
    No opinion here, never used games.
    Never used tablets, do not have a smart phone.

    ... Not really sure how 8 could be better for desktop production.
    Tile punching doesn't seem difficult to me.
    ... anyway, back to the start menu ...

    I don't hear many complaints about the explorer ribbon.
    Only a few complaints about the charms bar.

    There are technicians on this forum that have analyzed 8 and given it a failing grade on several points.
    This is a new design, right?
    It might fail, but I do not think so.

    One has to learn new, adapt to new, right? (I guess)
    Or stay with 7.
    Go with Linux, Apple.
    That's OK with me.

    What did people do when Windows 95 came out?
    They learned how to use the new Operating System.
    Last edited by mdmd; 18 Jun 2012 at 14:12.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Haxcid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Many do want a new OS that's like the old OS.
    Start Menu - Start Menu - Start Menu etc...
    Yeoh!

    I loathe the Start Menu!
    That's awesome. I don't. Our opinions cancel each other out - see how it works? That doesn't make yours or mine better than the other, it means we think differently. It means we use our computers differently - and THIS is why people don't like Metro. It forces them to use their computer in a way that they find counterproductive, as well as counterintuitive. It's a lot deeper than just wanting a Start Button.

    Agreed. I use 7 at home so I can get stuff done quickly. I am on my time and don't want to waste it. At work I use 8 on my laptop where I am less concerned about priductivity and get things done in a timely fashion. LOL!

    I have users that I finally weened off of 98 only 2 years ago because they refused to give it up. Can you imagine trying to move them from xp to 8 metro... They complained that XP was to different from 98. I know what you are going to say... and here is my counter before hand... IT is a service based industry and the like all service based industries the customer comes first so there is no forcing the metro UI on people when there is an alternative. Something I think MS has forgotten along the way.
    Windows 98 being used in the year 2010?!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post

    What did people do when Windows 95 came out?
    They learned how to use the new Operating System.
    Yep.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I have three other people testing Windows 8 Release Preview with me. Two have been using it since Developer, the other has been using it since the Consumer Preview. Though totally different that what they're used to, they actually like using Windows 8. I even probed into the reasoning and it boiled down to the following: no annoying popups at log in, faster and consistent speed, it's just different, and the Start Screen. One told me that the Start Screen is actually kind of pretty. The have been usability issues, but that was quickly resolved.

    What actually made this interesting for me was that I was able to get a common PC user's perspective on this huge change. And what really shed some light was the fact that none of them really ever used the start menu in Windows 7 because what they needed was already pinned to the Taskbar. I was told that one didn't even bother with it. That struck me because I always clean up the start menu on every system I work so it's better to find programs and not search through folders. The design of the Start Screen eliminates.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
What did people do when Windows 95 came out?
Related Threads
How to Add Contacts to People App in Windows 8 and 8.1 The People app is included by default in Windows 8. It is your address book and your social app all in one. You can add your contacts, see updates on social networks (like Facebook and Twitter), and keep in touch with friends and family on...
Hi, I have recently unlinked my Skype account from my Microsoft account. For the sake of simplicity, let's say my Skype username is "uzername". The People app still shows this account, and when clicking on it, it says that one of the connected accounts is "uzername_6". What is this? My Skype...
Windows 8 People App in Software and Apps
Newbie to Windows 8 here. I've noticed a peculiar behavior with my "People" App, and I was wondering if there was some way to solve it since it looks to be functioning in a way other than originally intended. When I open the app, it doesn't default to the home page. It defaults instead to one...
Source Do any normal people post here? :D A Guy
Brand Spanking Newbie People tile large and set for active LOTs o' contacts listed when I click on tile When I first installed Windows 8, I used my Microsoft account and the People tile was full of userpix. Then I decided that I wanted to keep it simple, i.e. local account only. It...
If These 5 People Who Tried Windows 8 Are Normal, Microsoft Has A Big Problem On Its Hands Source A Guy
The more I read the various forums here and elsewhere and especially the Microsoft Windows 8 ones, I am convinced that there are a whole lot of people out there that think Windows 8 is a programme rather than an operating system. Questions like "I don't like Windows 8 how can I uninstall it?",...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook