Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How do you want to open this file popup

  1. #1

    How do you want to open this file popup


    This popup appears involuntarily when i first start up my computer in the morning. Is there a simple way to stop it please? The photo is similar to my popup. The photo is a reproduction example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails http.png  
    Last edited by jamginger; 13 Jun 2015 at 15:36. Reason: error

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 54
    Windows 7 Pro plus Windows 8.1 Pro VM


    Hi there
    It appears to want to open a link to a website and is asking which browser you want to use.
    By the wording in the popup it seems Firefox is the current browser of choice.

    What happens when you click .. 'Keep using Firefox' ?

    Does a website open up. That might give you more clues about the initiator of the request ?
    More importantly, does it then stop the popups from reappearing ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyG View Post
    Hi there
    It appears to want to open a link to a website and is asking which browser you want to use.
    By the wording in the popup it seems Firefox is the current browser of choice.

    What happens when you click .. 'Keep using Firefox' ?

    Does a website open up. That might give you more clues about the initiator of the request ?
    More importantly, does it then stop the popups from reappearing ?
    Thanks, i`ll click "keep using Firefox" in the morning as that`s when it pops up when i first start the computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyG View Post
    Hi there
    It appears to want to open a link to a website and is asking which browser you want to use.
    By the wording in the popup it seems Firefox is the current browser of choice.

    What happens when you click .. 'Keep using Firefox' ?

    Does a website open up. That might give you more clues about the initiator of the request ?
    More importantly, does it then stop the popups from reappearing ?
    I checked for "Keep using Firefox" this morning, but it doesn`t appear on that popup list.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Do a screen capture with the popup you are seeing and post the image here. If you don't have Firefox installed it won't be in the list.

    What browser do you use. If Chrome then select Google Chrome.
    If not select Internet Explorer or whatever browser you normally use.

    If this happens at boot then some program is starting at boot that is trying to get to the internet via a web browser. Check the Startup tab in Task Manager and see if you can spot what might be doing it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6

    How do you want to open this file


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    Do a screen capture with the popup you are seeing and post the image here. If you don't have Firefox installed it won't be in the list.

    What browser do you use. If Chrome then select Google Chrome.
    If not select Internet Explorer or whatever browser you normally use.

    If this happens at boot then some program is starting at boot that is trying to get to the internet via a web browser. Check the Startup tab in Task Manager and see if you can spot what might be doing it.
    Screenshot attached. It`s a scroll so i can`t show you the lot, but it doesn`t include "Keep using Firefox". I have Firefox 38.05 installed on Windows 8.1. Can`t see anything in Task manager.
    This only appears when i first start up the computer in the morning.Click image for larger versionThis is the original photo taken with my camera.
    Last edited by jamginger; 13 Jun 2015 at 15:53. Reason: omission
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyG View Post
    Hi there
    It appears to want to open a link to a website and is asking which browser you want to use.
    By the wording in the popup it seems Firefox is the current browser of choice.

    What happens when you click .. 'Keep using Firefox' ?

    Does a website open up. That might give you more clues about the initiator of the request ?
    More importantly, does it then stop the popups from reappearing ?
    Sorry, i think i confused with that photo. When i tried to capture the popup it closed, so i reproduced an example of a popup.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    S.E. Texas
    Posts : 61
    windows 8.1 64bit


    I was having the same problem. I clicked Notepad. Something was trying to open a file named "program.txt" at C:.
    It said nothing about http. There is no program.txt anywhere on my drive. I "cleaned house" of a bunch of stuff I installed and it quit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Good enough, fixed is fixed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by cradom View Post
    I was having the same problem. I clicked Notepad. Something was trying to open a file named "program.txt" at C:.
    It said nothing about http. There is no program.txt anywhere on my drive. I "cleaned house" of a bunch of stuff I installed and it quit.
    Thank You, mine only appears in the morning when i first boot up the computer, so i`ll have to wait until tomorrow morning to try what you said. I`ll get back to you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you want to open this file popup
Related Threads
Cannot Open .JPG File in General Support
Cannot Open .JPG File I recently upgraded from Windows Vista Business (32) to Windows 8.1 (64). At the same time I also upgraded from Microsoft Office 2001 to Office 2013. In the past I had no difficulty accessing .jpg (photo) files I merely double-clicked on the file name, e.g....
Every time I open a picture it says "Always ask before open this file" ... over and over again, even when I uncheck it. It never did this before till I had my computer reset to factory default at the repair shop. I am using Windows 8.1 It does it on about half the pictures that I have. Can...
Solved Where is my open pdf file? in General Support
Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell I need to switch back and forth between an open pdf file, MS Word, and websites. I can open the pdf file fine. But if I switch to another task, the pdf file disappears. There is no icon for the pdf file on the taskbar. So then I have to open it again from scratch....
On attempting to open a couple of items in Documents, I got back the error box: ' The requested operation requires elevation'. What does that mean? robinpe
I transferred many music files from a backup drive onto a new laptop running Windows 8, and found most renamed as numbered files with a .ptl extension. Found out that my backup drive (Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex) doesn't like long filenames and renames them as referenced above. ("ptl" stands for...
I wanted to edit the Hosts file to add something to it. I opened notepad++ and navigated to where it was and I couldn't see the etc directory in windows/system32/drivers/ with the file open in notepad++. I navigate in explorer and right click on hosts and edit with notepad++ and that works fine....
I've been getting a "File Access Denied, You'll need to provide administrator permission to rename this file", popup window even with UAC turned off? The files in question are shortcuts in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. It also happens in ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook