Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...

  1. #81


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    These be some exciting times we live in!
    Ooo arr Jim lad, yes they be.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #82


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post

    It gets better, or perhaps worse:

    I asked the guy if he knew about Windows 8.

    He said he hadn't tried it, but had heard mentioned at university it was not very good.
    That is the kind of stuff nightmares are made of for companies like MS.
    This is a very BAD thing if this is the word of mouth being generated. This matters a LOT, because it is probably just one example of millions being played out around the world.



    Where do students get the money for all these gadgets?
    I too would like to know. When I was in university, I had to be very careful about every dollar I spent (even with a part time job/full time during the summer when not at school), and while this was back in the late 80s (when if you wanted to use a computer you went to the computer science department to share one LOL) I would think that a lack of part time job opportunities and other economic issues would make this generation of students even more frugal. I don't get it at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #83


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    It depends who you listen to.

    Anybody hearing Coke Robot evangelizing would think Win8 is the second coming.

    On a more serious note, MS do seem to have got themselves into an unfortunate situation.

    I don't know if anybody noticed - but the share price did not rise as investors rushed to buy in the expectation of massive sales of Win 8 and the enormous growth of MS into the portable market.

    Quite the opposite - it actually fell after they had a look at it.

    Investors do not think this is going to fly.

    In addition , MS seem to have generated a trust problem.

    You will have seen suggestions MS might try and prevent 3rd party start menu replacements from running on Win8.

    I don't believe MS will do that.

    However, the fact that a lot of people think they might - indicates a massive trust issue for them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #84


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8 Server


    Cant wait until Metro apps mature to become as powerful and as versatile as normal desktop apps
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #85


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post

    It gets better, or perhaps worse:

    I asked the guy if he knew about Windows 8.

    He said he hadn't tried it, but had heard mentioned at university it was not very good.
    That is the kind of stuff nightmares are made of for companies like MS.
    This is a very BAD thing if this is the word of mouth being generated. This matters a LOT, because it is probably just one example of millions being played out around the world.



    Where do students get the money for all these gadgets?
    I too would like to know. When I was in university, I had to be very careful about every dollar I spent (even with a part time job/full time during the summer when not at school), and while this was back in the late 80s (when if you wanted to use a computer you went to the computer science department to share one LOL) I would think that a lack of part time job opportunities and other economic issues would make this generation of students even more frugal. I don't get it at all.
    So because a couple of people have heard it isn't very good, Microsoft is going to ditch Windows 8, don't think so. If you feel so strongly about it, why not send them an email outlining your grievances.

    What does it matter where these people get the money from to buy these gadgets, they're buying them, that's the point. I'm buying them, millions of people are buying them, and that's the problem for Microsoft. Most of these gadgets don't have Windows on them, yet they are almost mini computers, MS is out in the cold.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #86


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post

    It gets better, or perhaps worse:

    I asked the guy if he knew about Windows 8.

    He said he hadn't tried it, but had heard mentioned at university it was not very good.
    That is the kind of stuff nightmares are made of for companies like MS.
    This is a very BAD thing if this is the word of mouth being generated. This matters a LOT, because it is probably just one example of millions being played out around the world.



    Where do students get the money for all these gadgets?
    I too would like to know. When I was in university, I had to be very careful about every dollar I spent (even with a part time job/full time during the summer when not at school), and while this was back in the late 80s (when if you wanted to use a computer you went to the computer science department to share one LOL) I would think that a lack of part time job opportunities and other economic issues would make this generation of students even more frugal. I don't get it at all.
    Parent's credit card anyone?...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #87


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    It depends who you listen to.

    Anybody hearing Coke Robot evangelizing would think Win8 is the second coming.

    On a more serious note, MS do seem to have got themselves into an unfortunate situation.

    I don't know if anybody noticed - but the share price did not rise as investors rushed to buy in the expectation of massive sales of Win 8 and the enormous growth of MS into the portable market.

    Quite the opposite - it actually fell after they had a look at it.

    Investors do not think this is going to fly.

    In addition , MS seem to have generated a trust problem.

    You will have seen suggestions MS might try and prevent 3rd party start menu replacements from running on Win8.

    I don't believe MS will do that.

    However, the fact that a lot of people think they might - indicates a massive trust issue for them.
    I've been watching Microsoft's stock and it's interesting. A few months ago, it was above 30 dollars since a long time. Since then, some market analysis is saying that PC manufacturers (probably meaning desktop) are going to have a rough time and HP laying off a good bit of their workforce. So their stock goes down. But it was climbing almost everyday since the Developer Preview. I bet it will continue when the new Windows 8 touch devices are released.

    And yes, Windows 8 IS THE SECOND COMING!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #88


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    MS have a good grip on the previously existing markets. They still dominate those.

    They will continue to generate enormous revenue streams for the foreseeable future .

    That means the share price will not drop below a level which reflects the potential dividend income.

    However, there are new markets - they do not replace the existing ones - they are in addition.
    MS have very little presence there.

    If they want to grow - they need to get a significant presence in those.

    Win8 is their attempt to do so.

    Sadly, the indications are that it is not going to do the job for them, and may even damage their existing user base.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #89


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    MS have a good grip on the previously existing markets. They still dominate those.

    They will continue to generate enormous revenue streams for the foreseeable future .

    That means the share price will not drop below a level which reflects the potential dividend income.

    However, there are new markets - they do not replace the existing ones - they are in addition.
    MS have very little presence there.

    If they want to grow - they need to get a significant presence in those.

    Win8 is their attempt to do so.

    Sadly, the indications are that it is not going to do the job for them, and may even damage their existing user base.
    Can you show me where it says Windows 8 is not going to do the job for them, and I don't mean the comments on here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #90


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    The only thing there is to go on is the negative reaction from a significant proportion of those who have tried it ( they are of course, not the general public), and the lack of investor interest.

    That is all there is to go on right now.

    No one in their right minds would think the signs are good.

    All those people could be wrong of course.

    If you actually bothered to read the post - it says "the indications are"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...
Related Threads
Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming Maybe they think that money will cure there problems.
Windows 8 haters in Chillout Room
Windows 8... to me, it is the best os since xp. i have seen a TON of videos about "windows 8 sucks" and I disagree. There is a poll so you can vote. i had a bad experience with 7, because I bought a laptop with starter on it, so I could BARELY do anything.
Hi there To those who say Touch will never have a place on the traditional Desktop I suggest they look at some reviews of the just released GALAXY S4 phone where a lot of the touch screen movements can be done via EYE scrolling technology -- IMO this is a total BALL CHANGING GAME. The technology...
Read more at: NASA issues asteroid 'Grand Challenge' to all | Crave - CNET
Hi there This is just a note to people who think it's too much hassle to backup their systems. Just recently I needed to swap from a SAMSUNG 830 128 GB SSD to the newer 840 250 GB SSD on my laptop. Plugging the new SSD into a USB2 (not even USB 3) slot I restored a previous system image that...
Graphical challenge in Customization
It's a challenge for me to get the result I'd like anyway. Cut/ Paste doesn't always work. Hopefully someone with those skills could give my Mom a 'multi-colored' spike with some spikes leaning left & right. If you could help, I will appreciate it. Thank you 19337 Poster for "We don't quit...
Tried this method myself and it works : set the compatibility mode to windows95 and violah :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook