Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...

  1. #181


    Posts : 19
    windows 8 release preveiw


    I love windows 8 but to be honest if you don't like it go back to what you usually us, your the ones missing out on a great OS!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #182


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    What about something more Desktop friendly?
    Attachment 6708
    What a kaleidoscopic nightmare!

    I mean, whoever did that ... what were they on, man! Could be a cross between LSD & magic mushrooms!

    And as useless as tits on a bull!
    That takes up a whole screen page. A classic menu would fit it all in a few small lines.
    True, you can say that, but I can find everything a lot faster and get to things a lot faster without a thought compared to the start menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #183


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8 Release Preview


    Quote Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    What about something more Desktop friendly?
    Attachment 6708
    What a kaleidoscopic nightmare!

    I mean, whoever did that ... what were they on, man! Could be a cross between LSD & magic mushrooms!

    And as useless as tits on a bull!
    That takes up a whole screen page. A classic menu would fit it all in a few small lines.
    Could a classic menu give you all the stock, weather, news, mail, picture, etc. info that this gives you?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #184


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I don't hate Metro, I'm just not liking it on my desktop PC. If I had a tablet I might warm up to it more. I'm trying to give Windows 8 an honest go. I'm dual booting with Windows 7 but haven't booted into 7 in over a week. I've customized the Metro screen to make it easier to use. I haven't installed any program to resurrect the Start Menu. I still don't like it, plain and simple. Not on my desktop PC that doesn't have a touch screen. If you like it that's fine. Just don't keep telling me, I'm doing it wrong, you'll get used to it, I think its better so it must be and your obviously wrong. It gets irritating and then people say things they normally wouldn't.

    I think Microsoft have a hard road ahead of them as far as Windows 8 goes. Forget about desktops for the moment, or even laptops. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Windows 8 won't run on a lot the current Android tablets out there will it? And then even on an ARM based tablet your locked out of your regular desktop applications. To move up to a true Windows tablet with an x86 processor is going to cost quit a bit more money in the end. I would think you would be in (non touch screen) laptop territory then. I'm not sure how that would play out. That could end up making the low cost Android tablets even more appealing. especially if you're already running Android on your phone?
    I think that's best, just use and you get used to it. Simple as that.

    The Windows 8 you're talking about is Windows RT, for ARM tablets. It won't have the plethora of software available that we all know and use other than what is in the Windows Store.

    Actually, the cost of a Windows slate (x86 tablet) kind of runs along a normal laptop. Depending on what horsepower you need, the base is actually around 500 dollars for a lower end dual core processor. Some ultrabooks will be near a 1000 dollars, as is an ASUS slate I know of that has an i5 processor in it. They'll be a BUNCH of options.

    Low cost android tablets won't do the job for many reasons, android being one, and Windows RT tablets will have Office 15 built in.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #185


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    True, you can say that, but I can find everything a lot faster and get to things a lot faster without a thought compared to the start menu.
    That's the wrong thing to compare it to. One should compare it to the thing that is used primarily, the thing which requires no navigation, doesn't take over your whole screen, doesn't go away when you select something from it, has jump lists, progress indicators, functions as a window switcher, etc. The Start Screen fails miserably against that thing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #186


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post

    Could a classic menu give you all the stock, weather, news, mail, picture, etc. info that this gives you?
    No, and to some of us that's a good thing. Remember? We keep telling you this and you keep not hearing. By the way, I don't get the impression you follow the stock market very much. Not saying this to disparage you, it's just that I don't think the average user does either. Your list is the kind of generic list people throw out there all the time. I remember using this kind of argument to get my parents to by me a computer for Christmas way back when - but it's so educational! All I wanted to do on it was play games.

    If I need financial info. I consult the WSJ or IBD or the Fool, etc. The only people I know who follow the stock market on a daily basis are the ones who follow it on a minute-by-minute basis because it's their job. They're investors and financial planners and they don't use Metro-style apps and when I've showed them 8 they've laughed. Yes, laughed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #187


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post

    Could a classic menu give you all the stock, weather, news, mail, picture, etc. info that this gives you?
    No, and to some of us that's a good thing. Remember? We keep telling you this and you keep not hearing. By the way, I don't get the impression you follow the stock market very much. Not saying this to disparage you, it's just that I don't think the average user does either. Your list is the kind of generic list people throw out there all the time. I remember using this kind of argument to get my parents to by me a computer for Christmas way back when - but it's so educational! All I wanted to do on it was play games.

    If I need financial info. I consult the WSJ or IBD or the Fool, etc. The only people I know who follow the stock market on a daily basis are the ones who follow it on a minute-by-minute basis because it's their job. They're investors and financial planners and they don't use Metro-style apps and when I've showed them 8 they've laughed. Yes, laughed.
    The Start Screen doesn't show enough information to be especially useful, and it's double-fail because it takes over the whole screen, taking you away from where the real information is. It might be a decent lock screen on a phone or tablet, but it has no place on a desktop or laptop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #188


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I don't hate Metro, I'm just not liking it on my desktop PC. If I had a tablet I might warm up to it more. I'm trying to give Windows 8 an honest go. I'm dual booting with Windows 7 but haven't booted into 7 in over a week. I've customized the Metro screen to make it easier to use. I haven't installed any program to resurrect the Start Menu. I still don't like it, plain and simple. Not on my desktop PC that doesn't have a touch screen. If you like it that's fine. Just don't keep telling me, I'm doing it wrong, you'll get used to it, I think its better so it must be and your obviously wrong. It gets irritating and then people say things they normally wouldn't.

    I think Microsoft have a hard road ahead of them as far as Windows 8 goes. Forget about desktops for the moment, or even laptops. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Windows 8 won't run on a lot the current Android tablets out there will it? And then even on an ARM based tablet your locked out of your regular desktop applications. To move up to a true Windows tablet with an x86 processor is going to cost quit a bit more money in the end. I would think you would be in (non touch screen) laptop territory then. I'm not sure how that would play out. That could end up making the low cost Android tablets even more appealing. especially if you're already running Android on your phone?
    I think that's best, just use and you get used to it. Simple as that.

    The Windows 8 you're talking about is Windows RT, for ARM tablets. It won't have the plethora of software available that we all know and use other than what is in the Windows Store.

    Actually, the cost of a Windows slate (x86 tablet) kind of runs along a normal laptop. Depending on what horsepower you need, the base is actually around 500 dollars for a lower end dual core processor. Some ultrabooks will be near a 1000 dollars, as is an ASUS slate I know of that has an i5 processor in it. They'll be a BUNCH of options.

    Low cost android tablets won't do the job for many reasons, android being one, and Windows RT tablets will have Office 15 built in.
    The last I read its not the full office 15, its more like office starter. No Outlook for instance and that's something I use everyday. And yes I know there are alternatives to Outlook but I like it and that's what I want to use. I expect you're going to tell me what you use anyway, and how much better it is.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #189


    Perth West Australia
    Posts : 128
    1st PC: Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail. 2nd PC: Vista Ulimtate 32bit OEM

    Pointless Discussion


    Any further discussion on this topic is pointless. All we can do is agree to disagree.

    The title of the thread invites Win8 haters to state their point of view. But in reality that's not what's happening. It's simply a venue for the pro Win8 group to promote Win8 ... pure and simple. And no matter what facts are presented, and despite all logic, all arguments against Win8 will be rebutted.

    This following typical post clearly shows the attitude of Win8 supporters, who aren't interested in what respondents to the thread have to say:

    Quote Originally Posted by jamster440 View Post
    I love windows 8 but to be honest if you don't like it go back to what you usually us, your the ones missing out on a great OS!
    In ancient Greece two groups of the wise elders were debating how many teeth a donkey had. The debate had raged for many days. A stable hand who happened to overhear them said: "Why don't you go out and count the teeth on a live donkey?" They took him out and had him flogged for insubordination.

    If you are sincere and really want the truth, there are only two ways to find it:

    • Wait till the retail version hits the market, then we will know the truth definitively.

    • Get two experienced PC users side by side to perform the same multi-tasking operations with Win7 and Win8 in their native format ... same 3rd party programs & no short cuts, hacked start menus, or whatever.

    I will be more than happy to act as bookmaker and you can name your own odds for Win8 ...
    Naw! That would be grand theft Windows on my part!
    Last edited by poppa bear; 11 Jun 2012 at 16:19.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #190


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8 Release Preview


    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post

    Could a classic menu give you all the stock, weather, news, mail, picture, etc. info that this gives you?
    No, and to some of us that's a good thing. Remember? We keep telling you this and you keep not hearing. By the way, I don't get the impression you follow the stock market very much. Not saying this to disparage you, it's just that I don't think the average user does either. Your list is the kind of generic list people throw out there all the time. I remember using this kind of argument to get my parents to by me a computer for Christmas way back when - but it's so educational! All I wanted to do on it was play games.

    If I need financial info. I consult the WSJ or IBD or the Fool, etc. The only people I know who follow the stock market on a daily basis are the ones who follow it on a minute-by-minute basis because it's their job. They're investors and financial planners and they don't use Metro-style apps and when I've showed them 8 they've laughed. Yes, laughed.
    The Start Screen doesn't show enough information to be especially useful, and it's double-fail because it takes over the whole screen, taking you away from where the real information is. It might be a decent lock screen on a phone or tablet, but it has no place on a desktop or laptop.
    Lol, so let me get this straight: your complaint is that, for example, you're on the Desktop, "where the real information is," and the fact that the Start screen takes up the whole screen means that you're taken away from that information on the Desktop? Since you love 7, you're saying that the old Start menu didn't take you away from the information; so this makes me think that, in Win7, anytime you use the Start menu, you don't actually look at the Start menu, because that would also "take you away from the real information." Think about it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...
Related Threads
Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming Maybe they think that money will cure there problems.
Windows 8 haters in Chillout Room
Windows 8... to me, it is the best os since xp. i have seen a TON of videos about "windows 8 sucks" and I disagree. There is a poll so you can vote. i had a bad experience with 7, because I bought a laptop with starter on it, so I could BARELY do anything.
Hi there To those who say Touch will never have a place on the traditional Desktop I suggest they look at some reviews of the just released GALAXY S4 phone where a lot of the touch screen movements can be done via EYE scrolling technology -- IMO this is a total BALL CHANGING GAME. The technology...
Read more at: NASA issues asteroid 'Grand Challenge' to all | Crave - CNET
Hi there This is just a note to people who think it's too much hassle to backup their systems. Just recently I needed to swap from a SAMSUNG 830 128 GB SSD to the newer 840 250 GB SSD on my laptop. Plugging the new SSD into a USB2 (not even USB 3) slot I restored a previous system image that...
Graphical challenge in Customization
It's a challenge for me to get the result I'd like anyway. Cut/ Paste doesn't always work. Hopefully someone with those skills could give my Mom a 'multi-colored' spike with some spikes leaning left & right. If you could help, I will appreciate it. Thank you 19337 Poster for "We don't quit...
Tried this method myself and it works : set the compatibility mode to windows95 and violah :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook