Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...

  1. #141


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    BillWindows and Cokey:

    The fact is that even those of us who dislike Metro are not against it, until MS REFUSED to allow the user the OPTION to select which UI would be the default on every boot that meets OUR needs.

    The point is that MANY loyal MS customers are also serious power users or just like how the desktop UI works for them, and I admit that for tablet use and phones Metro is a good option..
    BUT for my work needs it is NOT a good option and I do not want to use it on a laptop or desktop computer.


    Mea Culpa MS...admit that the customer should have the CHOICE of which default UI to use for various situations....make it a one click and stick solution that occurs during initial set up and allow it to be changed again if the customer so desires.

    MS is going to lose a LOT of loyal customers because of this, ones like me that would gladly have bought a WinPhone or Tablet with Windows 8 Metro on them, but since they are Uninterested in what MOST loyal customers want, they will lose additional business.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #142


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post

    Okay fellas you win I hate Metro, you've won me over, I want to live in the past too. Now that I'm like you, tell me what we are going to do. I'll listen and follow, what have you got planned.
    C'mon, Bill, this isn't what Metro haters are saying. The future can't get here fast enough for me. It's got nothing to do with hating the future and loving the past or what's current. I think it's beyond ridiculous you can't even take a USB drive/phone/iPod/anything out of the socket without asking permission from Mr. Safely Remove Hardware. It's got everything to do with loving what works and not what doesn't work. And even that is subjective, although it could be deeper than just subjective if enough PC users refuse to use 8. We're not gonna know for a while. Regardless, if you like 8 and 8 works for you, why are you concerned if others don't see it that way? MS isn't going anywhere even if this one's a flop. Even if MS did disappear, you'd still have 8 to cuddle up with at night.

    At the same time, I agree with that quote you included from Mark Donovan. In fact, most critics have been making this distinction all along. Metro on a tablet or phone? Seems like a good fit. Desktop? Ugh. It's getting slammed hard by a lot of people because a desktop is not a tablet or a phone. All three do different things. Coordinating between all three is fine and dandy. It makes sense to be able to go between your devices and a PC as effortlessly as possible. Who's arguing for it to be more of a PITA?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #143


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    You know what they say about opinions, they're like poo, everyone's got one.
    Yep, and some stink! No reference to anyone in particular of course!

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The people that are adjusting the Start Screen to their needs are making it act like a start menu! I want to use 8 as my main OS, so I configure it to how I want it. I haven't seen workarounds proposed by many proponents. I've seen people switching to Classic Shell and liking 8 ...
    And you're telling me you don't call Classic Shell a work around? And the work you have to do on it to get it as you want it? Come on!!!

    You've admitted you have to put it in to make Win8 viable! And it's third party software! That's a work around in anybody's language! A good system is one where you can take it out of the box, load it and it works straight off ... Start Menu and all. Try telling an average, non-geek home owner how to install Classic Shell.

    After the many, many hours we put in on the Win7 forum creating a tutorial to hack WinMail from Vista to work on Win7 ... no way am I getting into hacks on Win8. As it stands it's a great runner that's been nobbled. However, if you think it's so much better than Win7 and worth all the work, well go for it! They're your $$$$ you're paying to Microsoft who won't bend!

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I want to throw this out there, is it because Windows 8 isn't a Desktop first OS anymore?
    You got it in one, buddy! At the very minimum they should have a dedicated desk top version ... but then that would involve more development costs. So this won't happen because M$ want one OS for all platforms from touch phones to desktop, and everything in between.

    But as I said in earlier posts, time will tell when it hits the retail market. I'm taking friendly bets, that unless they make major changes, you can name your own odds! Which is a crying shame! We need Microsoft strong, but it can only happen if they listen to their clientele.
    Configuring something isn't a workaround. I USE THE START SCREEN AND ON IT, I HAVE THINGS PINNED TO IT THAT THE DEFAULT DOESN'T HAVE. Like, all my Libraries, Computer....

    Even then, Microsoft has said that the Start Screen will be adaptable to the user, the USER has to have some input to make it an adaptable interface. You can't just sit there and complain about something when you don't take the effort to actually use and make it somewhat familiar. By using Classic Shell, you're saying, "I choose not to use the Start Screen because instead of clicking Pin to Start and dragging things around so they're easier for me to get to, I choose to use what the past version of Windows had effectively making this new version useless to me." That's what I hear at least.

    I've seen people switching to Classic Shell and liking 8 .... Sarcasm, should had reiterated it.

    So the fact that the Desktop isn't what you see first and there is no start menu, that means the Desktop doesn't work at all? That's a trivial thing to not like about Windows 8. Yes, it's a lot about touch, it's a lot about a new interface, but it's still a lot about the Desktop.

    It might just be a matter of perspective. I find that it's a perfectly good desktop OS and the default config of the Start Screen is one that it's showing off the metro aspect. I think a lot of the complaints are coming from people that look at the default config of it, and blow it off. Let me ask this, have YOU set up your Start Screen, not Classic Shell, in such a way that items from the start menu are there and accessible along with other items you use?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #144


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post

    Okay fellas you win I hate Metro, you've won me over, I want to live in the past too. Now that I'm like you, tell me what we are going to do. I'll listen and follow, what have you got planned.
    C'mon, Bill, this isn't what Metro haters are saying. The future can't get here fast enough for me. It's got nothing to do with hating the future and loving the past or what's current. I think it's beyond ridiculous you can't even take a USB drive/phone/iPod/anything out of the socket without asking permission from Mr. Safely Remove Hardware. It's got everything to do with loving what works and not what doesn't work. And even that is subjective, although it could be deeper than just subjective if enough PC users refuse to use 8. We're not gonna know for a while. Regardless, if you like 8 and 8 works for you, why are you concerned if others don't see it that way? MS isn't going anywhere even if this one's a flop. Even if MS did disappear, you'd still have 8 to cuddle up with at night.

    At the same time, I agree with that quote you included from Mark Donovan. In fact, most critics have been making this distinction all along. Metro on a tablet or phone? Seems like a good fit. Desktop? Ugh. It's getting slammed hard by a lot of people because a desktop is not a tablet or a phone. All three do different things. Coordinating between all three is fine and dandy. It makes sense to be able to go between your devices and a PC as effortlessly as possible. Who's arguing for it to be more of a PITA?
    I find that Bill and I are concerned with the haters because some are slandering blasphemies when they haven't used it themselves. It could be the fact that some choose not use the Start Screen because they don't configure it in a way to adapt to their workflow. That, along with other things, can effectively neuter Windows 8 before it even comes out because the average person relies on US, the people that use and know Windows to suggest what kind of computer to buy, what version of software to use, if they should use the latest Windows, ect.....ect..... When people like us that are not fully informed about Windows 8 and blow it off before not even customizing, personalizing, tweaking it even, discovering it; that word of mouth gets passed around. So instead of wishing Microsoft well and at least some success, we end up getting the average person thinking Windows 8 is awful, it's dumbed down, it's pointless, THAT, that in essence is probably the main reason why myself and many others are "concerned" about the 8 hate is that. Misinformation. Much like what happened with vista, many of us had issues with it, some didn't and the ones that didn't praised it. What happened? The average person avoided it like the plague until 7.

    A lot is at stake for many people...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #145


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I want to throw this out for EVERYONE out here, show what your Start Screen is like. Then we'll discuss... How about that?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #146


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    I guess my main question is, why do you hate Metro? Aesthetics is not a valid point, either, because that's an opinion. I really would like to hear why, and valid reasons.
    This is funny and typical of many (not all) Metro lovers. Nothing satisfies you Metro people when faced with counter-arguments. Nothing. Every reason Metro haters just gave you in this thread you blew off. This is what you just did: you came back and said - "OK, all that stuff you all said? I don't care." What's the point of discussing this? I've said this many times and I'll say it again, but Metro haters don't care if you love it. You go love it. It's when you insist we love it that it gets a little annoying. How about you just love it on your own? Is that not good enough? Obviously not. I don't understand this need to be loved as a Metro lover. Not every Metro lover is like this but a lot are and it's kinda creepy. It's like you're taking this personally. You yourself are not the object of Metro haters' anger.

    Aesthetics is the main reason.

    I think Metro looks awful. You don't? Terrific. Therefore, your opinion is valid and mine isn't? Sorry, but that's pathetic. If something doesn't attract, it repels. I don't think there can be a neutral position here. If you're not attracted but think you're also not repelled, you're still fundamentally not attracted, so I only see the two outcomes. Since Metro is repelling to me, I don't want to use it. It really is no more complex than that. Do you like everything? And by "everything" I mean everything. Of course not. You don't like every genre of music, you don't like every kind of food, you don't like every player who plays every sport, you don't like every automobile, you don't like every movie, you don't like every book. Why do people like different things? I can't explain it. It just happens. Trying to warm up to something that repels isn't fun. So, right off the bat I don't even want to use Metro because it looks like MS consulted a classroom of 6-year-olds with construction paper and Elmer's glue.

    I just said I can't stand Metro because of the way it looks, right? Well, it operates precisely because of the way it looks, and since I hate the way it looks, chances are I'm gonna hate the way it operates. Form and function go together. The detailed reasons why I and others can't stand Metro are plastered in detail all over this thread, all over this site, all over the entire internet - big dumb colored boxes in your face, no Start menu, useless apps, absolutely no continuity between Metro and the rest of the OS, blah, blah, blah. You want your weather box right there when you turn on your computer? Awesome. I don't. How about that - two different ways of looking at a weather box. In fact, I don't want any boxes right there in front of my face. That's why I like the Start Menu. Yeah, but the Start Menu is so old. That's nice. The English language is about 1,000 years older than the Start Menu and that's what we're all typing in here. Guess it's time to dump English.

    Nothing in Metro is of use to me. And when I say "nothing" I literally mean "no" and "things" combined are of use to me because of how they look and how they operate. I could ask you to go hunt for these reasons on this site because they are not hard to find. But I sincerely don't think in your case it would matter, and I'm not saying this as an insult. It's just that you've indicated, like so many other Metro lovers, that you don't really care about these reasons. Seems to me all you want is people to agree with you.
    Then the question I pose: do you use Windows 8? And if you don't, why are on a forum about Windows 8?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #147


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    No blow it I'm going to stay in the now and embrace Metro and hope it works for Microsoft, I just read the following.

    ""Tablets are one of the most rapidly adopted consumer technologies in history and are poised to fundamentally disrupt the way people engage with the digital world both on-the-go and perhaps most notably, in the home," Mark Donovan, ComScore's senior vice president of mobile, said in a statement announcing the findings. "It's not surprising to see that once consumers get their hands on their first tablet, they are using them for any number of media habits including TV viewing."
    Yep. I find that I should go back to using a start menu with countless folders, most of which I will never see or never use. I'll just pin everything to my taskbar because I get to look at my Desktop interface and why do I need a new operating system again?.....

    (facepalm)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #148


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Just possibly because:

    he is a long time windows user and supporter. He is interested to see any new MS offering. He is perfectly entitled to criticise if he chooses - that is what a preview/beta is for.

    If there were only windows 8 lovers on this forum , it would close down.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #149


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post

    Okay fellas you win I hate Metro, you've won me over, I want to live in the past too. Now that I'm like you, tell me what we are going to do. I'll listen and follow, what have you got planned.
    C'mon, Bill, this isn't what Metro haters are saying. The future can't get here fast enough for me. It's got nothing to do with hating the future and loving the past or what's current. I think it's beyond ridiculous you can't even take a USB drive/phone/iPod/anything out of the socket without asking permission from Mr. Safely Remove Hardware. It's got everything to do with loving what works and not what doesn't work. And even that is subjective, although it could be deeper than just subjective if enough PC users refuse to use 8. We're not gonna know for a while. Regardless, if you like 8 and 8 works for you, why are you concerned if others don't see it that way? MS isn't going anywhere even if this one's a flop. Even if MS did disappear, you'd still have 8 to cuddle up with at night.

    At the same time, I agree with that quote you included from Mark Donovan. In fact, most critics have been making this distinction all along. Metro on a tablet or phone? Seems like a good fit. Desktop? Ugh. It's getting slammed hard by a lot of people because a desktop is not a tablet or a phone. All three do different things. Coordinating between all three is fine and dandy. It makes sense to be able to go between your devices and a PC as effortlessly as possible. Who's arguing for it to be more of a PITA?
    You know it's funny you say I'd be able to cuddle up with 8 at night, because I actually cuddle up with an iPad. I also have an Android tablet which I don't use as much since I got the iPad. I think that's why I know Microsoft is in trouble, these tablets are very habit forming. Even before the tablets I found I was using my Android phone to access the Internet a lot. I also have a few PC's, laptops and home theatre PC's running Windows. All my PC's tablets and phone are wirelessly connected to my NAS through a router.

    That's why I want Microsoft to win this war because I want everything to be Windows, for me it would be easier. I have discovered Apps and decided I like them, so having them on a desktop is a bonus for me. I'm not saying I want Android and Apple to go away, I just want Microsoft to stay strong, and I believe their strategy is the right one. If its the wrong one I believe Microsoft will suffer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #150


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Yes, MS will suffer.

    I have no reason to doubt they will go back to the drawing board - pay attention to their customers needs and produce a real winner with win9.

    In the long term that will be best for MS , for the consumer , and for the world.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...
Related Threads
Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming Maybe they think that money will cure there problems.
Windows 8 haters in Chillout Room
Windows 8... to me, it is the best os since xp. i have seen a TON of videos about "windows 8 sucks" and I disagree. There is a poll so you can vote. i had a bad experience with 7, because I bought a laptop with starter on it, so I could BARELY do anything.
Hi there To those who say Touch will never have a place on the traditional Desktop I suggest they look at some reviews of the just released GALAXY S4 phone where a lot of the touch screen movements can be done via EYE scrolling technology -- IMO this is a total BALL CHANGING GAME. The technology...
Read more at: NASA issues asteroid 'Grand Challenge' to all | Crave - CNET
Hi there This is just a note to people who think it's too much hassle to backup their systems. Just recently I needed to swap from a SAMSUNG 830 128 GB SSD to the newer 840 250 GB SSD on my laptop. Plugging the new SSD into a USB2 (not even USB 3) slot I restored a previous system image that...
Graphical challenge in Customization
It's a challenge for me to get the result I'd like anyway. Cut/ Paste doesn't always work. Hopefully someone with those skills could give my Mom a 'multi-colored' spike with some spikes leaning left & right. If you could help, I will appreciate it. Thank you 19337 Poster for "We don't quit...
Tried this method myself and it works : set the compatibility mode to windows95 and violah :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook