Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...

  1. #121


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Did you install the latest NVidia driver?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #122


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    I don't know Vertex, I've read through your points and none seem really valid to me, you just don't want to change, even though the changes aren't that drastic once you get used to using Windows 8. Metro isn't really a problem, it's just one click to the desktop.

    The only valid points I've read on this website are relating to multiple monitors and large scale business deployment, I can't comment on those as I've never used multiple monitors or been involved in a large business deployment.
    Let me ask you something Bill. Why do you seem to insist that almost everything about Windows 8 is the right thing to go just because that's what MS gave us? We are the consumers and we have every right to suggest and complain because we are the ones that give M$ their money for goodness' sake. This is making some people on this forum think that you have affiliations with Microsoft. If none of my points seem valid to you, that is by your own definition but do not assume that I am hesitant to change just because I do not agree with YOUR vision of change. That Bill, is a stubborn fanboy philosophy and this is the second time I said that to you. I wanted change but this is not how I want it and that does not make me stop trying to suggest what my idea is. For example, I suggested on my previous post that the new OS should be able to use System Reset and Refresh without the need for the Windows installation media. Most people would see that better yet you don't seem to think that's valid? On the other hand, none of my suggestions say that they should remove your beloved Metro interface, I just suggested an option to disable it but not remove it entirely so it gives more people a choice whether to have it or not because it pops up at some point even if all my shortcuts are on the Taskbar and Desktop. I even suggested that there should be close and minimize buttons on Metro apps and that is in favor of improving these beloved Metro apps of yours versus those of iPads and Androids. And yet you think none of my points seem valid? Discussions like these with you fanboys would keep on going, mate and I won't be surprised that you won't agree with me again next time.
    There is really no need for window controls on metro apps to close them as there is a gesture that works perfect on a mouse that does it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #123


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Oh and Poppa bear, the only war going on is the war between Google, Apple and Microsoft.
    Hey Bill, you're the one who suggested there's a war going on, not me.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    My suggestion ... life's too short to try to keep fighting an uphill battle.
    Well, when there's a half that is against what one company is doing over some trivial things that can be easily adapted to, and there's a side that's ok with the changes and have adapted those changes to our benefit; seeing the other side mope about those changes and are just wishing they go away sounds like fighting an uphill battle.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #124


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    My suggestion is that you just try to work with what Microsoft has given us and make the most of it, life's too short to try to keep fighting an uphill battle.
    That's a nice patronising euphemism to try and dress something up to be something it's not. Just roll over and pretend.

    Hmmmmm? Smacks of the 1930s when the masses surrenedered their personal autonomy and thinking to a certain gentleman named Adolf.

    Nobody is trying to win a pointless battle, as M$ are set in concrete. The only thing that will influence them will be market results, and time will be the test of that. So all discussion and debate are really academic.

    But in the interim, please, no snow jobs by snake oil salesmen!

    In the past month I have personally spoken to 5 techos in major retail computer outlets and their only comment was to scoff at the efficacy of Win8 vs Win7. The fact that anyone buying a new laptop with Win7 on it is being offered a $15 upgrade to Win8 on final release says it all. Desperation springs to mind.

    How does it go? For those who believe no argument is necessary. And for those who don't, no argument will suffice. Applied of course to Win7 devotees.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Its good to see that people really are starting to warm to Windows 8.
    Bill are you absolutely sure you're not secretly working on a commission basis for the marketing promotion branch of M$?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I always liked what was 'under the hood' with Win 8, just not the interface.

    Now that I have the desktop setup that I want, then yes, I can live with it.
    Don't let them con you Kat. Trust your first gut instincts which were right on the money!

    Why pay hard Aussie $$$$ to 'live with something'! It's M$ job to sell a product the consumer wants and runs more efficiently than it's predecessor! The more people that don't roll over and buy it,will be the only thing that might influence M$ to modify their stand. So hang tough.

    Notice that the vast majority of posts by proponents of W8 are about offering work arounds to make it run like W7 already does!

    So who the heck needs work arounds when you've already got it all in the top flight OS of Win7??? Hell I wouldn't touch it, even as a service pack to Win7 ... why pollute a perfectly good product? Unless of course all the changes were implemented that everyones screaming for!
    The people that are adjusting the Start Screen to their needs are making it act like a start menu, true. I have, I've been able to do things with it that the start menu couldn't. The default config of it shows off the metro app aspect of it first to see improvements. I want to use 8 as my main OS, so I configure it to how I want it to and one of which is to add my Libraries to it. I haven't seen workarounds proposed by many proponents. I've seen people switching to Classic Shell and liking 8....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #125


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    2. "looks too odd to me now" is not a valid point, nor is blocking the desktop; I don't think there's a reason why seeing the desktop while selecting a program is better than not seeing it.
    If you read my statement properly, I was pertaining to the fact of the missing Start button and Menu that I have always seen there on the Taskbar in previous MS operating systems. I am stating MY reasons here and I do not speak for anybody else but I'm sure that I'm not the only one alienated by this new look.

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    3. Fair point. However, Metro is designed with "info first" viewpoint. I love the fullscreen, and it's very easy to close Metro apps (as I'm sure you know).
    I don't know what this "info first" viewpoint you are saying but I do not like apps that are fullscreen all the time and these apps show less options, look dull and flat compared to the legacy Desktop apps. Yes, you can drag the Metro apps towards the bottom to close them but I prefer a close button because its more obvious and a single click is easier than dragging or pressing CTRL+Alt+Del if you are using a mouse on a non-touch screen keyboard. Touch navigating on a huge monitor could be more exhausting than using a mouse as well. A minimize button would also greatly improve navigation with these Metro apps because at least, a minimize button and a close button would bring some familiar fundamentals people have used on legacy apps for many years and that is on how you switch, hide or close the apps. I hate they way these very simple fundamentals failed to be implemented when it could at least bring up an advantage over apps of iPads or Andriods that do not have close or minimize buttons which is the reason why I hate navigating on these tablet OSs.

    First of all, I have to click once at startup to get to the Desktop but even if I have my legacy app shortcuts on the Desktop and Taskbar, at some point the Metro screen will be there. I like the way I could easily search for files and programs from the search bar in the Windows 7 Start menu because it was a compact design that does not cover my whole screen. The Search function on the Metro takes the whole screen and its not obvious where the Shut Down button is unlike on the Windows 7 Start Menu.

    Hopefully it will but I guess they won't allow it. And what makes you "sure" they would? Have you read any legit statements on MS's behalf that says they might re-include native DVD playback with Windows 8 along with Media Center without the need to pay anything extra?

    Not a fair point if performance is what you mostly care about but I love the eyecandy from Windows 7 but it still gives me the option to disable it and most computers made today are fully capable of handling these eyecandy stuff anyway so why take Aero away if some people turn out to like it but it still has the option to be disabled for those who don't like it and would care for a bit more performance gain?

    MS Office and Windows Explorer are two very different things to me, both with different uses so each should not look like each other. I hate the way the ribbon made the top of Windows Explorer bulky and I hate the way, they shrunk the Details Pane at the bottom. The ribbon can be minimized but not to the extent that it becomes better than the compact menu design on Windows 7's Windows Explorer.

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    9. Again, not sure how this affects your Desktop/what you loved about 7.
    Metro. I just don't like cloud based apps, (like what some or many Metro apps will be) because they are useless without Internet connection.

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    11. The Desktop is exactly like 7 as of now, aside from the Start menu.
    And don't forget the ribbon on Explorer was well. I'm talking of what's beneath the hood, in the inner workings of the OS. There were improvements like it now boots faster, it has a new Task Manager and somewhat more responsive. There were improvements done on the inside of the OS but some would say, this is just worth like a Service Pack update, not a new OS. I love the system reset and refresh things but I would like that even more if that did not ask for the installation media so I could reset everything on my PC or laptop without inserting the installation disk. If I were them, I would also try to significantly work on the system's Registry that it should have the option to remove any unneeded keys that have been blamed for system degradation overtime. In short, no need for Registry cleaners.
    If I may add about the DVD playback, it cost Microsoft some to license the codecs they use for DVD playback. Now, considering we're in an age where people don't do a lot of DVD playback on their PC (yes I realize YOU do) it makes bad business sense to continue to offer a feature that costs them money, when little people use it. As goes for media center, umm, what part about a few percent of Windows 7 users even opened the thing up and when they did, they closed out of it a few minutes later? No one uses it except for a few (yes I realize YOU do). Considering most people that use those features are people that have HTPCs or some other enthusiast, it makes business sense to have those features at a slightly higher cost.

    Theoretically, Aero is distracting to the Desktop environment as one cannot be productive since one is always looking at the eye candy.

    Sometimes, simple fundamentals become second nature. Like search. Sometimes, in an effort to do something newly different, you disregard some of those fundamentals to create new ones. Like a drag down gesture to close an app.

    And I'm not sure if you realize, but some desktop gadgets are cloud based and don't work unless you have an internet connection, or otherwise they're useless and taking screen space. Some metro apps are like that, some aren't.

    Having a system reset and refresh without install media isn't practical. You'd need to have extra space on the hard drive for that and that increases 8's storage requirements. Windows 8 has been designed for low space SSDs, which benefits a lot of use who use them as more gigabytes is always good.

    I personally find the Ribbon UI to be nicer in Windows 8. I do a lot of file copying, cutting, pasting, deleting and the such. I find that it's easier and faster to do since I don't need to right click, drag down the pointer and selecting something. Or, I don't have to do archaic keyboard shortcuts anymore. I simply snap two windows together, select files I need, hit cut or copy, and in the next window, paste. That's all.

    I wouldn't be able to do much in Office without a Ribbon anymore because a file menu based UI keeps a lot of features dug down.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #126


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I want to throw this out there, is it because Windows 8 isn't a Desktop first OS anymore?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #127


    We really shouldn't be arguing. While I appreciate our discussions even if we don't know each other, I don't get why it is being said that other people's points are not valid since they are opinions. All of these discussions have been opinions. Everything is an opinion. Whether it's been about aesthetics or something else. The truth is aesthetics is an important factor in why you buy a product or not, whether it's a concious choice or not. How something is interpreted as aesthetically pleasing will depend on the person. How you want it to work is valid at least to that person. If the aesthetics or other points people make are not valid then there really is no validity since everything here has been opinions. We are discussing our own reasons why we like or dislike windows 8 so frankly I don't see the validity in any of the points discussed. Everything said has been an opinion.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #128


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by tseven View Post
    We really shouldn't be arguing. While I appreciate our discussions even if we don't know each other, I don't get why it is being said that other people's points are not valid since they are opinions. All of these discussions have been opinions. Everything is an opinion. Whether it's been about aesthetics or something else. The truth is aesthetics is an important factor in why you buy a product or not, whether it's a concious choice or not. How something is interpreted as aesthetically pleasing will depend on the person. How you want it to work is valid at least to that person. If the aesthetics or other points people make are not valid then there really is no validity since everything here has been opinions. We are discussing our own reasons why we like or dislike windows 8 so frankly I don't see the validity in any of the points discussed. Everything said has been an opinion.
    You know what they say about opinions, they're like poo, everyone's got one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #129


    Perth West Australia
    Posts : 128
    1st PC: Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail. 2nd PC: Vista Ulimtate 32bit OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    You know what they say about opinions, they're like poo, everyone's got one.
    Yep, and some stink! No reference to anyone in particular of course!

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The people that are adjusting the Start Screen to their needs are making it act like a start menu! I want to use 8 as my main OS, so I configure it to how I want it. I haven't seen workarounds proposed by many proponents. I've seen people switching to Classic Shell and liking 8 ...
    And you're telling me you don't call Classic Shell a work around? And the work you have to do on it to get it as you want it? Come on!!!

    You've admitted you have to put it in to make Win8 viable! And it's third party software! That's a work around in anybody's language! A good system is one where you can take it out of the box, load it and it works straight off ... Start Menu and all. Try telling an average, non-geek home owner how to install Classic Shell.

    After the many, many hours we put in on the Win7 forum creating a tutorial to hack WinMail from Vista to work on Win7 ... no way am I getting into hacks on Win8. As it stands it's a great runner that's been nobbled. However, if you think it's so much better than Win7 and worth all the work, well go for it! They're your $$$$ you're paying to Microsoft who won't bend!

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I want to throw this out there, is it because Windows 8 isn't a Desktop first OS anymore?
    You got it in one, buddy! At the very minimum they should have a dedicated desk top version ... but then that would involve more development costs. So this won't happen because M$ want one OS for all platforms from touch phones to desktop, and everything in between.

    But as I said in earlier posts, time will tell when it hits the retail market. I'm taking friendly bets, that unless they make major changes, you can name your own odds! Which is a crying shame! We need Microsoft strong, but it can only happen if they listen to their clientele.
    Last edited by poppa bear; 10 Jun 2012 at 15:25.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #130


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    I guess my main question is, why do you hate Metro? Aesthetics is not a valid point, either, because that's an opinion. I really would like to hear why, and valid reasons.
    This is funny and typical of many (not all) Metro lovers. Nothing satisfies you Metro people when faced with counter-arguments. Nothing. Every reason Metro haters just gave you in this thread you blew off. This is what you just did: you came back and said - "OK, all that stuff you all said? I don't care." What's the point of discussing this? I've said this many times and I'll say it again, but Metro haters don't care if you love it. You go love it. It's when you insist we love it that it gets a little annoying. How about you just love it on your own? Is that not good enough? Obviously not. I don't understand this need to be loved as a Metro lover. Not every Metro lover is like this but a lot are and it's kinda creepy. It's like you're taking this personally. You yourself are not the object of Metro haters' anger.

    Aesthetics is the main reason.

    I think Metro looks awful. You don't? Terrific. Therefore, your opinion is valid and mine isn't? Sorry, but that's pathetic. If something doesn't attract, it repels. I don't think there can be a neutral position here. If you're not attracted but think you're also not repelled, you're still fundamentally not attracted, so I only see the two outcomes. Since Metro is repelling to me, I don't want to use it. It really is no more complex than that. Do you like everything? And by "everything" I mean everything. Of course not. You don't like every genre of music, you don't like every kind of food, you don't like every player who plays every sport, you don't like every automobile, you don't like every movie, you don't like every book. Why do people like different things? I can't explain it. It just happens. Trying to warm up to something that repels isn't fun. So, right off the bat I don't even want to use Metro because it looks like MS consulted a classroom of 6-year-olds with construction paper and Elmer's glue.

    I just said I can't stand Metro because of the way it looks, right? Well, it operates precisely because of the way it looks, and since I hate the way it looks, chances are I'm gonna hate the way it operates. Form and function go together. The detailed reasons why I and others can't stand Metro are plastered in detail all over this thread, all over this site, all over the entire internet - big dumb colored boxes in your face, no Start menu, useless apps, absolutely no continuity between Metro and the rest of the OS, blah, blah, blah. You want your weather box right there when you turn on your computer? Awesome. I don't. How about that - two different ways of looking at a weather box. In fact, I don't want any boxes right there in front of my face. That's why I like the Start Menu. Yeah, but the Start Menu is so old. That's nice. The English language is about 1,000 years older than the Start Menu and that's what we're all typing in here. Guess it's time to dump English.

    Nothing in Metro is of use to me. And when I say "nothing" I literally mean "no" and "things" combined are of use to me because of how they look and how they operate. I could ask you to go hunt for these reasons on this site because they are not hard to find. But I sincerely don't think in your case it would matter, and I'm not saying this as an insult. It's just that you've indicated, like so many other Metro lovers, that you don't really care about these reasons. Seems to me all you want is people to agree with you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...
Related Threads
Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming Maybe they think that money will cure there problems.
Windows 8 haters in Chillout Room
Windows 8... to me, it is the best os since xp. i have seen a TON of videos about "windows 8 sucks" and I disagree. There is a poll so you can vote. i had a bad experience with 7, because I bought a laptop with starter on it, so I could BARELY do anything.
Hi there To those who say Touch will never have a place on the traditional Desktop I suggest they look at some reviews of the just released GALAXY S4 phone where a lot of the touch screen movements can be done via EYE scrolling technology -- IMO this is a total BALL CHANGING GAME. The technology...
Read more at: NASA issues asteroid 'Grand Challenge' to all | Crave - CNET
Hi there This is just a note to people who think it's too much hassle to backup their systems. Just recently I needed to swap from a SAMSUNG 830 128 GB SSD to the newer 840 250 GB SSD on my laptop. Plugging the new SSD into a USB2 (not even USB 3) slot I restored a previous system image that...
Graphical challenge in Customization
It's a challenge for me to get the result I'd like anyway. Cut/ Paste doesn't always work. Hopefully someone with those skills could give my Mom a 'multi-colored' spike with some spikes leaning left & right. If you could help, I will appreciate it. Thank you 19337 Poster for "We don't quit...
Tried this method myself and it works : set the compatibility mode to windows95 and violah :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook