Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...

  1. #111


    Perth West Australia
    Posts : 128
    1st PC: Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail. 2nd PC: Vista Ulimtate 32bit OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    My suggestion is that you just try to work with what Microsoft has given us and make the most of it, life's too short to try to keep fighting an uphill battle.
    That's a nice patronising euphemism to try and dress something up to be something it's not. Just roll over and pretend.

    Hmmmmm? Smacks of the 1930s when the masses surrendered their personal autonomy and thinking to a certain gentleman named Adolf.

    Nobody is trying to win a pointless battle, as M$ are set in concrete. The only thing that will influence them will be market results, and time will be the test of that. So all discussion and debate are really academic.

    But in the interim, please, no snow jobs by snake oil salesmen!

    In the past month I have personally spoken to 5 techos in major retail computer outlets and their only comment was to scoff at the efficacy of Win8 vs Win7. The fact that anyone buying a new laptop with Win7 on it is being offered a $15 upgrade to Win8 on final release says it all. Desperation springs to mind.

    How does it go? For those who believe no argument is necessary. And for those who don't, no argument will suffice. Applied of course to Win7 devotees.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Its good to see that people really are starting to warm to Windows 8.
    Bill are you absolutely sure you're not secretly working on a commission basis for the marketing promotion branch of M$?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I always liked what was 'under the hood' with Win 8, just not the interface.

    Now that I have the desktop setup that I want, then yes, I can live with it.
    Don't let them con you Kat. Trust your first gut instincts which were right on the money!

    Why pay hard Aussie $$$$ to 'live with something'! It's M$ job to sell a product the consumer wants and runs more efficiently than it's predecessor! The more people that don't roll over and buy it,will be the only thing that might influence M$ to modify their stand. So hang tough.

    Notice that the vast majority of posts by proponents of W8 are about offering work arounds to make it run like W7 already does!

    So who the heck needs work arounds when you've already got it all in the top flight OS of Win7??? Hell I wouldn't touch it, even as a service pack to Win7 ... why pollute a perfectly good product? Unless of course all the changes were implemented that everyones screaming for!
    Last edited by poppa bear; 10 Jun 2012 at 14:26.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #112


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Not a valid point?


    How is "I love Facebook and Twitter therefore Metro rocks" any more valid a point, than "Metro apps have no window controls, like a close button and minimize button because those are more obvious ways in getting out of the full screen Metro app that looks dull in MY opinion"?

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    2. "looks too odd to me now" is not a valid point, nor is blocking the desktop; I don't think there's a reason why seeing the desktop while selecting a program is better than not seeing it.
    That's your opinion and therefore (by your own definition) not a valid counterpoint.

    It means that when you are (inevitably) interrupted, before you can start the program you were looking for, you can see what you were doing before the interruption, without having to swap screens again.

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    3. ... and it's very easy to close Metro apps (as I'm sure you know).
    That "drag the App off of the screen" thing only works in the sidebar (on my PC).

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    4. Um, fair I guess? But this does not tell me how Metro gets in your way of Desktop production.
    How about the constant sidebar pop outs, search swapping to Metro, multiple Control Panels, etc.?

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    5. .................
    People who don't use Facebook or Twitter don't need Metro at all.
    Eliminating its unwanted interference (constant sidebar pop outs, search swapping to Metro, etc.) would be welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    7. Aesthetics, not a fair point.
    That's your opinion and therefore (by your own definition) not a valid counterpoint.

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    8. If you like it in Office then........
    IMO, the "Ribbon" is awful in everything except Excel (where it's passable).

    MS should have fixed the glitches, instead of releasing a new GUI.
    I would much rather have had a glitch-free, menu driven version of Word, than the glitchy Ribbon versions that I have to use now.
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 10 Jun 2012 at 08:14. Reason: Additional
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #113


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    I don't know Vertex, I've read through your points and none seem really valid to me, you just don't want to change, even though the changes aren't that drastic once you get used to using Windows 8. Metro isn't really a problem, it's just one click to the desktop.

    The only valid points I've read on this website are relating to multiple monitors and large scale business deployment, I can't comment on those as I've never used multiple monitors or been involved in a large business deployment.
    Let me ask you something Bill. Why do you seem to insist that almost everything about Windows 8 is the right thing to go just because that's what MS gave us? We are the consumers and we have every right to suggest and complain because we are the ones that give M$ their money for goodness' sake. This is making some people on this forum think that you have affiliations with Microsoft. If none of my points seem valid to you, that is by your own definition but do not assume that I am hesitant to change just because I do not agree with YOUR vision of change. That Bill, is a stubborn fanboy philosophy and this is the second time I said that to you. I wanted change but this is not how I want it and that does not make me stop trying to suggest what my idea is. For example, I suggested on my previous post that the new OS should be able to use System Reset and Refresh without the need for the Windows installation media. Most people would see that better yet you don't seem to think that's valid? On the other hand, none of my suggestions say that they should remove your beloved Metro interface, I just suggested an option to disable it but not remove it entirely so it gives more people a choice whether to have it or not because it pops up at some point even if all my shortcuts are on the Taskbar and Desktop. I even suggested that there should be close and minimize buttons on Metro apps and that is in favor of improving these beloved Metro apps of yours versus those of iPads and Androids. And yet you think none of my points seem valid? Discussions like these with you fanboys would keep on going, mate and I won't be surprised that you won't agree with me again next time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #114


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    I don't know Vertex, I've read through your points and none seem really valid to me, you just don't want to change, even though the changes aren't that drastic once you get used to using Windows 8. Metro isn't really a problem, it's just one click to the desktop.

    The only valid points I've read on this website are relating to multiple monitors and large scale business deployment, I can't comment on those as I've never used multiple monitors or been involved in a large business deployment.
    Let me ask you something Bill. Why do you seem to insist that almost everything about Windows 8 is the right thing to go just because that's what MS gave us? We are the consumers and we have every right to suggest and complain because we are the ones that give M$ their money for goodness' sake. This is making some people on this forum think that you have affiliations with Microsoft. If none of my points seem valid to you, that is by your own definition but do not assume that I am hesitant to change just because I do not agree with YOUR vision of change. That Bill, is a stubborn fanboy philosophy and this is the second time I said that to you. I wanted change but this is not how I want it and that does not make me stop trying to suggest what my idea is. For example, I suggested on my previous post that the new OS should be able to use System Reset and Refresh without the need for the Windows installation media. Most people would see that better yet you don't seem to think that's valid? On the other hand, none of my suggestions say that they should remove your beloved Metro interface, I just suggested an option to disable it but not remove it entirely so it gives more people a choice whether to have it or not because it pops up at some point even if all my shortcuts are on the Taskbar and Desktop. I even suggested that there should be close and minimize buttons on Metro apps and that is in favor of improving these beloved Metro apps of yours versus those of iPads and Androids. And yet you think none of my points seem valid? Discussions like these with you fanboys would keep on going, mate and I won't be surprised that you won't agree with me again next time.
    I know its easy to call me a fanboy, but I'm not really, I just happen to like having two operating systems. I also like change, I love change, I look forward to it. But believe me if Windows 8 didn't cut it I would be just as much against it as you are.
    A few weeks ago I thought you guys might win and Microsoft would give you what you want, I was okay with that. Problem is it hasn't happened, MS must have a plan or no plan, hopefully it's the former.
    I think it's time to accept that Windows 8 is either here to stay or it's going to fail and that will mean Microsoft will fail. I don't particularly like the idea of that as I build my own computers.
    The other thing is, no one has said that you must stop using Windows 7, it's a perfectly good OS and will be around for a long time. I myself will be dual booting for a long time yet, but I am spending more and more time on Windows 8.
    And no I have nothing to do with Microsoft but if they want to give me a free copy of Windows 8 I will accept it, ha,ha.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #115


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    If win 8 flops - it isn't the end for MS.

    It will be a lot of work for them to get back in the game with the next o/s - but they will still have plenty of cash coming in for the foreseeable future .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #116


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    If win 8 flops - it isn't the end for MS.

    It will be a lot of work for them to get back in the game with the next o/s - but they will still have plenty of cash coming in for the foreseeable future .
    I wish I had your confidence, but I can't see anything beyond Windows 8, the world is changing too rapidly, tablets and phones are the way forward and MS needs to be in the game. Like a recent story said, They have bet the farm.

    Oh and Poppa bear, the only war going on is the war between Google, Apple and Microsoft.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #117


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    I was initially unimpressed with 8, but decided a couple of weeks ago to give it another go. So I
    installed the 64-bit CP on this as an upgrade over my Win 7 64-bit setup.

    That went well, no driver or program clashes, and all my settings and progs were retained successfully.

    So, for the last few weeks I've been busy customising it the way I like it (Classic Shell, Quick-Launch
    etc) and testing my progs, updating them as required, and generally exploring the OS, experimenting
    and finding my way around under the hood.

    While all this was going on, I was also using the machine to get work done, and, once I worked out
    how to keep Metro at bay unless I wanted it, everything was going swimmingly. I even downloaded a
    couple of apps so I could give Metro the benefit of the doubt, and actually try it out.

    But all that ended last night when I started to test some of my games......

    Many wouldn't run, or ran poorly, a couple wouldn't even install, and several caused total crashes and
    lock-ups. Now, I'll admit that many (most) of my games are older releases, but all of the games I tested
    have been running fine on Win 7. And some that DID work are actually older titles. Colin McRae Rally
    2005, for example, never ran better. Some (not all) error messages point to the graphics card, and issues
    with openGL, but some older DirectX titles will run so DirectX doesn't appear to be an issue. But it's
    definitely a driver problem.

    Hardware is current, and quite highly 'specced' for a laptop (see my System Specs). It's a 'desktop
    replacement' machine, and is easily powerful enough to play most games (certainly any I own), and
    all drivers are the latest ones.

    But when Half-Life 2 crashed to the desktop on exit (causing a total lockup that required the use of the
    on/off button to restart) for the second time, I cried 'Enough!" and re-installed Win 7 from a system image.

    However, I WILL be keeping the 32-bit CP on my other laptop, and one of the drives in the desktop has the
    32-bit DP installed. And when Nvidia releases a driver update, and I get hold of a copy of the RP, I'll give it
    another shot. So I'm not giving up altogether.
    Last edited by Kat; 10 Jun 2012 at 10:23.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #118


    Perth West Australia
    Posts : 128
    1st PC: Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail. 2nd PC: Vista Ulimtate 32bit OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Oh and Poppa bear, the only war going on is the war between Google, Apple and Microsoft.
    Hey Bill, you're the one who suggested there's a war going on, not me.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    My suggestion ... life's too short to try to keep fighting an uphill battle.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #119


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    But all that ended last night when I started to test some of my games......

    Many wouldn't run, or ran poorly, a couple wouldn't even install, and several caused total crashes and
    lock-ups. Now, I'll admit that many (most) of my games are older releases, but all of the games I tested
    have been running fine on Win 7. And some that DID work are actually older titles. Colin McRae Rally
    2005, for example, never ran better. Some (not all) error messages point to the graphics card, and issues
    with openGL, but some older DirectX titles will run so DirectX doesn't appear to be an issue. But it's
    definitely a driver problem.
    Have you tried running those games in compatibility mode. I have lots of older games on my PC. I had Quake III Arena Demo which was released in 1999 in my Windows 7 as well as Resident Evil 2 and 3 which are also released in 1999, as well as Call Of Duty and I have been running them in compatibility mode for Windows XP or Windows 98 and so far, they are running well.

    Resident Evil 2 and 3 and Call Of Duty 1 worked well when I tried them with Windows Developer Preview, all running in compatibility mode. Try running those games in compatibility mode for Windows XP and you might get a chance to get them to work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #120


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    Yeah, tried that, Vertex. No joy. But thanks anyway.

    Well, it worked for some games, but not others. Doom3, Medal of
    Honour Pacific Assault and CMR 2005, for example, all ran fine in
    compatibility mode. Many others did not. According to some of the
    error messages, it's definitely a problem with the graphics driver.

    But, as I said, it's no biggie, I'll just leave 7 on this one for the
    time being, and play with 8 on one of the other machines.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...
Related Threads
Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming Maybe they think that money will cure there problems.
Windows 8 haters in Chillout Room
Windows 8... to me, it is the best os since xp. i have seen a TON of videos about "windows 8 sucks" and I disagree. There is a poll so you can vote. i had a bad experience with 7, because I bought a laptop with starter on it, so I could BARELY do anything.
Hi there To those who say Touch will never have a place on the traditional Desktop I suggest they look at some reviews of the just released GALAXY S4 phone where a lot of the touch screen movements can be done via EYE scrolling technology -- IMO this is a total BALL CHANGING GAME. The technology...
Read more at: NASA issues asteroid 'Grand Challenge' to all | Crave - CNET
Hi there This is just a note to people who think it's too much hassle to backup their systems. Just recently I needed to swap from a SAMSUNG 830 128 GB SSD to the newer 840 250 GB SSD on my laptop. Plugging the new SSD into a USB2 (not even USB 3) slot I restored a previous system image that...
Graphical challenge in Customization
It's a challenge for me to get the result I'd like anyway. Cut/ Paste doesn't always work. Hopefully someone with those skills could give my Mom a 'multi-colored' spike with some spikes leaning left & right. If you could help, I will appreciate it. Thank you 19337 Poster for "We don't quit...
Tried this method myself and it works : set the compatibility mode to windows95 and violah :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook