Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...

  1. #101


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    I can put up with lots of things, Bill.

    And I always liked what was 'under the hood' with Win 8, just not the interface.

    So, I decided to give it another go.

    Now that I have the desktop setup that I want, then yes, I can live with it.

    I'm running the 64-bit CP as I type.....however, I've seen that many have had
    issues with the RC, so have decided to pass, at this stage.

    Apart from a few random lock-ups in IE, it's actually running quite well...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #102


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I can put up with lots of things, Bill.

    And I always liked what was 'under the hood' with Win 8, just not the interface.

    So, I decided to give it another go.

    Now that I have the desktop setup that I want, then yes, I can live with it.

    I'm running the 64-bit CP as I type.....however, I've seen that many have had
    issues with the RC, so have decided to pass, at this stage.

    Apart from a few random lock-ups in IE, it's actually running quite well...
    Its good to see that people really are starting to warm to Windows 8. I've had a couple of small problems with the release preview, but it seems to be settling down. I've got the 64 bit RP, but I'm going to download the 32 bit to put on another couple of PC's I've got.

    You know it's amazing, that Metro screen that seems to annoy people so much only takes a click to get rid of it, and yet it seems to cause so much grief. I'm glad you got over it and have it running the way you want.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #103


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    If only ...


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    You know it's amazing, that Metro screen that seems to annoy people so much only takes a click to get rid of it, and yet it seems to cause so much grief.
    If only one click would get rid of it.
    It mysteriously keeps coming back.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #104


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 RP


    I tend to use both the Metro and explorer desktop throughout the day. In fact, well I do run Win7 primarily at home because of graphical issues in 8, I actually find myself reaching for the startscreen smart button more often now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #105


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I can put up with lots of things, Bill.

    And I always liked what was 'under the hood' with Win 8, just not the interface.

    So, I decided to give it another go.

    Now that I have the desktop setup that I want, then yes, I can live with it.

    I'm running the 64-bit CP as I type.....however, I've seen that many have had
    issues with the RC, so have decided to pass, at this stage.

    Apart from a few random lock-ups in IE, it's actually running quite well...
    The Release Preview has been running fine on my end and feels a lot better than the CP in my honest opinion as a doctor.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #106


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8 Release Preview


    WOW. 11 pages! I had no idea this thread had taken off as I haven't checked it in a while.

    All of you guys have valid points. Power users: I understand where y'all are coming from, and how y'all can't use only Metro to accomplish what you need to get done. I guess I should've elaborated more on my original post.

    Now that I'm out of college, I haven't been required to be any bit of a power user. Lately, my PC has been used for Twitter, Facebook, web browsing, email, a few apps, and music. That's it. This wasn't the case before, but now that it is, I can definitely appreciate Metro more. For example:

    I log into my Microsoft account, and there's my Start screen. I quickly glance at the News tile for the top story, the weather tile, blah blah blah. I click Tweetro, pin it, click my Facebook pinned tile, pin it. Check my social stuff, see a tweet I want to message someone about. I click messaging, pin it where Tweetro was, message the guy (seriously guys, even if you hate Metro, you must admit that the way the Messaging app works when pinned is awesome), blah blah blah. Open my email (with Messaging still pinned), do what I need to on there. Fire up the music app, start some tunes (with my Zune Pass), and just browse around. Ok, and as I'm typing this, my girlfriend just messaged me; so now she's pinned to the right, and I'm still typing.

    This is what I mean by "you don't need the desktop." The programs that only run on Desktop, of course you need the Desktop; and guys, Microsoft is not trying to kill the Desktop, in any form.

    I guess my main question is, why do you hate Metro? Aesthetics is not a valid point, either, because that's an opinion. I really would like to hear why, and valid reasons. If you load up the Desktop on Win8, aside from the Start menu, you're missing nothing from 7 that you guys love. And, the Start menu is still there. Click it, type what you want opened, and hit enter - just like before. The beauty of it is, is that these Desktop programs that you guys run a lot, you can not only pin them to the Taskbar, but also the Start screen, that way you have fast access to them no matter where you are.

    I'm really not being hostile, at all. Admittedly, some of the crap bashing I see on here makes me want to be, but I'm really not.

    Oh, and back to the original post, if you are not a power user, take my challenge, if you are a power user, at some point when you're not so busy using the Desktop apps, take my challenge; if only for a few hours.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #107


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Let me give MY reasons, mate:

    1. I want an option to boot to the Desktop directly on Startup which is not an option with the latest RP.

    2. I still want the old Start button and Menu because I've always used them in all MS OSs I've ever used but sadly those were taken away in replacement with this Metro screen which is fullscreen that blocks my view of the Desktop. The taskbar without the button looks too odd to me now. There are third party replacements for The Start Menu and button but they are not the same with the original. Even if there are shortcuts on my Taskbar and Desktop, the Metro screen will still appear at some point.

    3. Metro apps have no window controls, like a close button and minimize button because those are more obvious ways in getting out of the full screen Metro app that looks dull in MY opinion.

    4. I often work with multiple windows opened on my Desktop and the multitasking like that does not apply to the Metro.

    5. There is no choice to disable the Metro.

    6. Windows Media Player now does not have native DVD playback support and Windows Media Center is now a separate package to pay. I'm upset with that because I use WMC for watching live TV. I'm a guy who does not want to install other media players.

    7. I like the way Aero is on Windows 7 and I hate the fact that they will take that away with Windows 8.


    8. I hate the ribbon on Windows Explorer though I like it with MS Office.

    9. I use Skydrive to store and backup my data but I hate cloud based apps.

    10. I'm not a big fan of the tablet and touchscreen.

    11. I'm a guy who believes there is more to improve with the Desktop part.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #108


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8 Release Preview


    @Vertex

    1. I guess I can call that a fair point, even though the Desktop is literally a click away.

    2. "looks too odd to me now" is not a valid point, nor is blocking the desktop; I don't think there's a reason why seeing the desktop while selecting a program is better than not seeing it.

    3. Fair point. However, Metro is designed with "info first" viewpoint. I love the fullscreen, and it's very easy to close Metro apps (as I'm sure you know).

    4. Um, fair I guess? But this does not tell me how Metro gets in your way of Desktop production.

    5. .................

    6. Fair point. However, I'm sure this will change.

    7. Aesthetics, not a fair point.

    8. If you like it in Office then........

    9. Again, not sure how this affects your Desktop/what you loved about 7.

    10. ^^^^^^^^

    11. The Desktop is exactly like 7 as of now, aside from the Start menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #109


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    2. "looks too odd to me now" is not a valid point, nor is blocking the desktop; I don't think there's a reason why seeing the desktop while selecting a program is better than not seeing it.
    If you read my statement properly, I was pertaining to the fact of the missing Start button and Menu that I have always seen there on the Taskbar in previous MS operating systems. I am stating MY reasons here and I do not speak for anybody else but I'm sure that I'm not the only one alienated by this new look.

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    3. Fair point. However, Metro is designed with "info first" viewpoint. I love the fullscreen, and it's very easy to close Metro apps (as I'm sure you know).
    I don't know what this "info first" viewpoint you are saying but I do not like apps that are fullscreen all the time and these apps show less options, look dull and flat compared to the legacy Desktop apps. Yes, you can drag the Metro apps towards the bottom to close them but I prefer a close button because its more obvious and a single click is easier than dragging or pressing CTRL+Alt+Del if you are using a mouse on a non-touch screen keyboard. Touch navigating on a huge monitor could be more exhausting than using a mouse as well. A minimize button would also greatly improve navigation with these Metro apps because at least, a minimize button and a close button would bring some familiar fundamentals people have used on legacy apps for many years and that is on how you switch, hide or close the apps. I hate they way these very simple fundamentals failed to be implemented when it could at least bring up an advantage over apps of iPads or Andriods that do not have close or minimize buttons which is the reason why I hate navigating on these tablet OSs.

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    4. Um, fair I guess? But this does not tell me how Metro gets in your way of Desktop production.
    First of all, I have to click once at startup to get to the Desktop but even if I have my legacy app shortcuts on the Desktop and Taskbar, at some point the Metro screen will be there. I like the way I could easily search for files and programs from the search bar in the Windows 7 Start menu because it was a compact design that does not cover my whole screen. The Search function on the Metro takes the whole screen and its not obvious where the Shut Down button is unlike on the Windows 7 Start Menu.

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    6. Fair point. However, I'm sure this will change.
    Hopefully it will but I guess they won't allow it. And what makes you "sure" they would? Have you read any legit statements on MS's behalf that says they might re-include native DVD playback with Windows 8 along with Media Center without the need to pay anything extra?

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    7. Aesthetics, not a fair point.
    Not a fair point if performance is what you mostly care about but I love the eyecandy from Windows 7 but it still gives me the option to disable it and most computers made today are fully capable of handling these eyecandy stuff anyway so why take Aero away if some people turn out to like it but it still has the option to be disabled for those who don't like it and would care for a bit more performance gain?

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    8. If you like it in Office then........
    MS Office and Windows Explorer are two very different things to me, both with different uses so each should not look like each other. I hate the way the ribbon made the top of Windows Explorer bulky and I hate the way, they shrunk the Details Pane at the bottom. The ribbon can be minimized but not to the extent that it becomes better than the compact menu design on Windows 7's Windows Explorer.

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    9. Again, not sure how this affects your Desktop/what you loved about 7.
    Metro. I just don't like cloud based apps, (like what some or many Metro apps will be) because they are useless without Internet connection.

    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    11. The Desktop is exactly like 7 as of now, aside from the Start menu.
    And don't forget the ribbon on Explorer was well. I'm talking of what's beneath the hood, in the inner workings of the OS. There were improvements like it now boots faster, it has a new Task Manager and somewhat more responsive. There were improvements done on the inside of the OS but some would say, this is just worth like a Service Pack update, not a new OS. I love the system reset and refresh things but I would like that even more if that did not ask for the installation media so I could reset everything on my PC or laptop without inserting the installation disk. If I were them, I would also try to significantly work on the system's Registry that it should have the option to remove any unneeded keys that have been blamed for system degradation overtime. In short, no need for Registry cleaners.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #110


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    I don't know Vertex, I've read through your points and none seem really valid to me, you just don't want to change, even though the changes aren't that drastic once you get used to using Windows 8. Metro isn't really a problem, it's just one click to the desktop.

    The only valid points I've read on this website are relating to multiple monitors and large scale business deployment, I can't comment on those as I've never used multiple monitors or been involved in a large business deployment.

    Naturally if you don't like it, you don't like it, and nobody will change your mind. Unfortunately Microsoft has started the ball rolling and it's not going to change its direction anytime soon.

    My suggestion is that you just try to work with what Microsoft has given us and make the most of it, life's too short to try to keep fighting an uphill battle.

    I've seen quite a few people on here have a change of heart, as a matter of fact in one poll I was the only one who liked it for a while, and yet now the percentage is over 50%.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
I'm going to challenge all you Win8 haters...
Related Threads
Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming Maybe they think that money will cure there problems.
Windows 8 haters in Chillout Room
Windows 8... to me, it is the best os since xp. i have seen a TON of videos about "windows 8 sucks" and I disagree. There is a poll so you can vote. i had a bad experience with 7, because I bought a laptop with starter on it, so I could BARELY do anything.
Hi there To those who say Touch will never have a place on the traditional Desktop I suggest they look at some reviews of the just released GALAXY S4 phone where a lot of the touch screen movements can be done via EYE scrolling technology -- IMO this is a total BALL CHANGING GAME. The technology...
Read more at: NASA issues asteroid 'Grand Challenge' to all | Crave - CNET
Hi there This is just a note to people who think it's too much hassle to backup their systems. Just recently I needed to swap from a SAMSUNG 830 128 GB SSD to the newer 840 250 GB SSD on my laptop. Plugging the new SSD into a USB2 (not even USB 3) slot I restored a previous system image that...
Graphical challenge in Customization
It's a challenge for me to get the result I'd like anyway. Cut/ Paste doesn't always work. Hopefully someone with those skills could give my Mom a 'multi-colored' spike with some spikes leaning left & right. If you could help, I will appreciate it. Thank you 19337 Poster for "We don't quit...
Tried this method myself and it works : set the compatibility mode to windows95 and violah :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook