Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I am a PC, not a tablet

  1. #51


    Posts : 17
    Windows 7 64bit SP1


    Quote Originally Posted by ilovewindows8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    @coke robot, I think you and I are the only ones who can see the future of computing on Windows 8.

    Well, besides Microsoft that is.
    Hey, you forgot me. :P
    ... and me!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    Tucson, AZ
    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 RC


    I find it absolutely hilarious how reliant people are on the start menu, and all this complaining about the whole metro concept itself.

    the start menu - yes its gone, but its not really cuz its been turned into metro. metro is essentially a full screen start menu with the ability to run apps. metro has all of your most commonly used programs pinned to it, as were pinned to the left side of the start menu, and with the click of a button, youre viewing all your programs, as you would by going into all programs in the start menu. by typing, you are searching instantly - same thing in the win7 start menu. its honestly nothing more than a full screen start menu that can run apps.

    and for those complaining about the constant switching to the desktop from metro - I guarantee that with the full release of win8, there will be metro versions of EVERYTHING standard with windows - control panel, task manager, explorer, office, etc. I am sure that Microsoft is smart enough to make these programs metro compatible, even if they aren't available at launch. and same thing with 3rd party apps - they take time to develop and gain approval, and I guarantee most developers aren't wasting their time even thinking of making apps for an OS that is still in testing.

    the one complaint I do agree with is multitasking in metro. could have been done better, as 50/50, 33/33/33, 25/25/25/25, etc. the concept is great, but the 70/30 or whatever it is should not be the only option.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    @eeisner:

    Except MS answered a question (with metro) that nobody really asked about in the first place. LOL
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovewindows8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    @coke robot, I think you and I are the only ones who can see the future of computing on Windows 8.

    Well, besides Microsoft that is.
    Hey, you forgot me. :P
    ... and me!
    I know we're not the only ones, I get around the net quite a bit, and while there are quite a few who don't like it, there's also lots who do. I've even seen people with iMacs and MacBook Pros running it and commenting how good it is, if you can get a Mac person to say its good, it can't be too bad.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    I know we're not the only ones, I get around the net quite a bit, and while there are quite a few who don't like it, there's also lots who do. I've even seen people with iMacs and MacBook Pros running it and commenting how good it is, if you can get a Mac person to say its good, it can't be too bad.
    Few who don't like it, huh? What a stubborn, close-minded fanboy philosophy. In fact, a lot of negative feedback is coming from the net right now than positive ones ( like this forum) and M$ should really take time reading ALL feedbacks seriously not just from those like you who praise it so much but it looks like they didn't for many months now until we now that we got the RC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    Madrid, Spain
    Posts : 228
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    lose many loyalists to Linux
    To Linux? No. Linux was in the middle ages. Now after brilliant ideas such as Unity or Gnome 3, it is in the pre-romanic times. Microsoft won't lose customers to Linux. Impossible.

    and yes even some to freaking Apple OSX.
    Not so many either. Too expensive, closed system, less software offer... Not everyone needs a social status to show.

    People will just stay with Windows 7, Vista or XP, but many will move to Win8. It is not so bad if you ignore Metro.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    I know we're not the only ones, I get around the net quite a bit, and while there are quite a few who don't like it, there's also lots who do. I've even seen people with iMacs and MacBook Pros running it and commenting how good it is, if you can get a Mac person to say its good, it can't be too bad.
    Few who don't like it, huh? What a stubborn, close-minded fanboy philosophy. In fact, a lot of negative feedback is coming from the net right now than positive ones ( like this forum) and M$ should really take time reading ALL feedbacks seriously not just from those like you who praise it so much but it looks like they didn't for many months now until we now that we got the RC.
    How many people do you think that have given Windows 8 bad flack use desktops? Huh? Do they use anything else other than a desktop or cry the mantra that the Desktop should stay as it is and keep it like Windows 7 and the start menu and on and on and on and on and on and on and on?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    lose many loyalists to Linux
    To Linux? No. Linux was in the middle ages. Now after brilliant ideas such as Unity or Gnome 3, it is in the pre-romanic times. Microsoft won't lose customers to Linux. Impossible.

    and yes even some to freaking Apple OSX.
    Not so many either. Too expensive, closed system, less software offer... Not everyone needs a social status to show.

    People will just stay with Windows 7, Vista or XP, but many will move to Win8. It is not so bad if you ignore Metro.
    I think, it will be the power users who are unsatisfied with Windows 8 who will move to Linux, not the average Joe, for the most part. I am personally planning to switch back to Linux Mint after my Windows 8's evaluation period ends.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    I know we're not the only ones, I get around the net quite a bit, and while there are quite a few who don't like it, there's also lots who do. I've even seen people with iMacs and MacBook Pros running it and commenting how good it is, if you can get a Mac person to say its good, it can't be too bad.
    Few who don't like it, huh? What a stubborn, close-minded fanboy philosophy. In fact, a lot of negative feedback is coming from the net right now than positive ones ( like this forum) and M$ should really time take reading ALL feedbacks seriously not just from those like you who praise it so much.
    Close minded Fanboy, that's funny, don't let my name fool you, and don't think that only people who browse the net and look at pictures, like Windows 8. I own an Android tablet, an Android phone, an iPad2, an iPad3, an Apple ATV3 a few Windows computers a Router and 2 NAS, as a matter of fact that's the funniest thing I've ever heard.
    Sure I like Windows, it gives me freedom, even Windows 8 gives me that. All my diverse tablets, phones, iPads, home theatre equipment, everything connects to my NAS.
    If I'm a Fanboy of anything it's Tech, you could even call me a Tech nerd, but I also happen to like Windows and Android and IOS, I like anything to do with Tech.
    I can control all my home theatre equipment through my iPad, Android tablet or Android phone or even a Netbook.

    An OS to me is just a tool, I don't sit there and drool like a schoolboy over Aero or cry over the missing start menu, if the OS let's me do what I want, that's all I need, oh and I use Linux as well.
    Do I fit into your category of a power user.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    lose many loyalists to Linux
    To Linux? No. Linux was in the middle ages. Now after brilliant ideas such as Unity or Gnome 3, it is in the pre-romanic times. Microsoft won't lose customers to Linux. Impossible.

    and yes even some to freaking Apple OSX.
    Not so many either. Too expensive, closed system, less software offer... Not everyone needs a social status to show.

    People will just stay with Windows 7, Vista or XP, but many will move to Win8. It is not so bad if you ignore Metro.
    I think, it will be the power users who are unsatisfied with Windows 8 who will move to Linux, not the average Joe, for the most part. I am personally planning to switch back to Linux Mint after my Windows 8's evaluation period ends.
    Good to know that contrary to what Metro fanbois like Coke Robot and billwindows claim I am of the exact same mind as you vertex, as a matter of fact I had just started using Linux Mint just after the first release of Windows 8 was available to the general public, and I must tell you I'm very impressed at how quick and seamless it performs, I think it is a bit faster than Windows 7 and uses slightly less resources as well.

    Now of course the support is less effective for Linux OS but compared to about five or seven years ago the number of supported programs, drivers, ect is excellent. I recommend Mint over Ubuntu especially if you want the experience similar to Windows XP or 7.

    The unfortunate thing is I actually liked Microsoft and the general corporate philosophy in the past but now I see that they are trying to mould themselves into Apple, part deux. MS is destroying the reason why customers choose to use MS over the robber baron fruit company, it seems they are trying to emulate that clown shoe of a company. Sad to see it happen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
I am a PC, not a tablet
Related Threads
plz help i have lenovo thinkpad 2 tablet it was not running well so i decided to reset it ... but after 1 hr,it says "WINDOWS INSTALLATION FAILED PLEASE RESTART THE INSTALLATION" and it keeps on repeating the same thing... please help me ....
A tip for the tablet in Drivers & Hardware
Does Not matter which windows 8 tablet Shut down the OS when not being used it will save you about 50% battery usage I tested this on the Asus and surface pro tablets and it worked on both The OS uses a lot of battery even in sleep and hibernate mode on these tablets Also it will behave better,...
Which tablet should I get? in Drivers & Hardware
I'm looking to buy a clovertrail based tablet. I have the following 3 options in my grasp. Which one do you think is the best? 1. Asus Vivo Tab Smart (47.5k JPY) 2. Acer Iconia W510 (52k JPY) 3. DELL Latitude 10 Essentials (50k JPY) All are 64GB model and comes with no physical keyboard....
Windows 8 on a Tablet in Drivers & Hardware
This is the other side of the medal. Are we looking at a chameleon ? More ...Windows 8: First steps with the dual personality on tablets | ZDNet
Windows 8 on a Tablet in Windows 8 News
Can HP TouchPad Tablet exist along side the Microsoft Windows 8 Tablet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook