Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


windows 8.1 won't boot after allocating free space from C

  1. #1


    India
    Posts : 15
    Windows 8.1

    windows 8.1 won't boot after allocating free space from C


    using amoei partiton manager I allocated free space from C drive in order to setup ubuntu 14.04 in dual boot. It took half an hour to allocate free space however, when my PC restarted back it refused to boot.So now, windows 8.1 Icon shows up and rotating dots beneath it but after it only blank screen. afaik cause of this because pc now can't detect the location of C drive. I don't have any backup or recovery disk but I can access GPARTED from ubuntu using live USB.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...dVE&authuser=0 and put it in a USB stick using: Rufus - Create bootable USB . Boot up from USB and select the option: Fix Windows Boot Problems as shown in screen shot:
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    India
    Posts : 15
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...dVE&authuser=0 and put it in a USB stick using: Rufus - Create bootable USB . Boot up from USB and select the option: Fix Windows Boot Problems as shown in screen shot:
    Click image for larger version
    I just tried this but problem persists. There is some unallocated free space(~40GB) at left side of C drive I think that's causing the problem. do you know a work around for this.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Run: amoei partiton manager and right click on C: ->Move Partition then drag C: to the left so the unallocated space will be on the RHS of C:
    NOTE: Dont forget to click Apply on the top left to commit the change.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    India
    Posts : 15
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Run: amoei partiton manager and right click on C: ->Move Partition then drag C: to the left so the unallocated space will be on the RHS of C:
    I tried this using live USB but I got this error:
    Error Code: 215
    Error description:
    Too many fragment files on the volume needs to be defragged. Or reserved space insufficient, please release more free space.
    The error code indicates that there are too many fragment files on the partition needs to be defragged or the reserved space is not enough for the partition you are shrinking.
    now I'm really worried.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    How about trying: Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition. Just download and put in a USB or CD to boot up then try to Move the partition C: to the left.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    India
    Posts : 15
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    How about trying: Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition. Just download and put in a USB or CD to boot up then try to Move the partition C: to the left.
    yes, I tried this. look at the error code in above post.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Quote Originally Posted by 1gouravgg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    How about trying: Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition. Just download and put in a USB or CD to boot up then try to Move the partition C: to the left.
    yes, I tried this. look at the error code in above post.
    You were using aomei software. This is magic partition manager. It is different software company.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    India
    Posts : 15
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1gouravgg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    How about trying: Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition. Just download and put in a USB or CD to boot up then try to Move the partition C: to the left.
    yes, I tried this. look at the error code in above post.
    You were using aomei software. This is magic partition manager. It is different software company.
    it finally worked with MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition, thanks a lot!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Great. Glad you got it sorted
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

windows 8.1 won't boot after allocating free space from C
Related Threads
In windows explorer, hid the preview pane. But theres still that annoying space on that right side of the window. Now, when I bring it up, theres just one column of files on the left side. How can I "free" it up so that a 2nd or 3rd column of files can be viewed in that space?
My OS is installed on a 500 GB Samsung 840 SSD and there is about 100 GB of data on it. Windows Explorer, however, shows that almost 90% of the drive is used. I double checked with WinDirStat, which confirmed that I only had about 100 GB used on the drive. I triple checked with Space Sniffer,...
How do I merge the 18 gb system drive, that has no drive letter, with my c: Drive. See screen shot: https://www.eightforums.com/attachments/general-support/55995-runnig-out-disk-space-7-free-space-left-ashampoo_snap_2015.01.01_06h27m43s_001_.jpg
Having successfully installed Win8.1 on my laptop machine I'm trying to do the same on my desktop machine but am having problems allocating useable space on the hard drive. I want to create a dual boot situation until I've transferred all my programs to the Windows 8.1 partition. I followed the...
C is running out of free space in General Support
hello i know this is a kind of a stupid question but i really need help i have a 500 GB hard drive the windows partition -60 GB- is running out of free space (only 13 GB is free after cleaning up and so) and the performance is going down i want to increase the capacity of my C partition...
I can't complete the setup process in W8 Pro Upgrade. When I try to install it from the W7 desktop, I get as far as it telling me that I need to free up at least 20GB on my SSD. I have a 64GB SSD with just Windows 7 installed on it and only 5 GB of free space. I have placed the W8 install onto a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook