Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Petition to Microsoft addressing 8

View Poll Results: Should Microsoft do much better with 8 than it is now?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it needs to be better

    46 88.46%
  • No, I really like how it is turning out

    6 11.54%
  1. #21


    Norwich, UK
    Posts : 85
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    We live in times where a tablet form factor is packing an i7 mobile processor, 8 gigs of RAM, and a SSD drive that would give many desktops a run for their money and then some.
    How many people are going to pay a grand for a i7 tablet? I do agree that the desktop is slowly dying, and is going to become a gaming platform only (at least until they finally manage to kill PC gaming, which is the way the industry is pushing... but thats a debate for another time).

    Its well known that GENERALLY mobile platforms do not game, and do not handle heat well. I can't imagine anything worse than sticking an i7 in a tablet and gaming on it.... and gamers are the sort of people who would spend that money on that tablet, and these are the people that would go out and buy (or more likely build!) a desktop for that. How do I know? I am that user.

    As for touch being the future, again I disagree, on a gaming platform, the keyboard and mouse aren't going anywhere. You just can't get the same level of control with touch, plus reaching for my desktop (or even laptop!) screen every couple of minutes is going to get my arms tired very quickly.

    Yeah, because you're a Desktop user. That's where the main complaints are coming from.
    So that means we don't get a say? Because we are in the minority, does our opinion not count?

    Its not like MS are saying "Hey here is our new OS for touch systems, but don't worry it still works just as well for desktop users." Well actually, that is what they are saying, but patently it isn't true.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 28
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    There are only three ways to be successful in business:
    1. Ask your customers what they want and provide for those wants/needs.
    2. Anticipate what your customers want and provide for those wants/needs.
    3. Insure that your customers have no one else to turn to for their wants/needs.

    Microsoft seems to failing at #2 (imho) and #3 is both immoral, illegal and unsustainable. Therefore Microsofts best bet is #1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by speedy1979 View Post
    there are only three ways to be successful in business:
    1. Ask your customers what they want and provide for those wants/needs.
    2. Anticipate what your customers want and provide for those wants/needs.
    3. Insure that your customers have no one else to turn to for their wants/needs.

    Microsoft seems to failing at #2 (imho) and #3 is both immoral, illegal and unsustainable. Therefore microsofts best bet is #1.
    Apple.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 740
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    We live in times where a tablet form factor is packing an i7 mobile processor, 8 gigs of RAM, and a SSD drive that would give many desktops a run for their money and then some.
    No matter what is in a laptop/tablet, I can cram more of it into a desktop.

    More:

    • RAM.
    • HDDs.
    • SSDs.
    • Graphics cards.
    • NICs.


    How many laptops/tablets can take server boards?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 28
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    We live in times where a tablet form factor is packing an i7 mobile processor, 8 gigs of RAM, and a SSD drive that would give many desktops a run for their money and then some.
    No matter what is in a laptop/tablet, I can cram more of it into a desktop.

    More:

    • RAM.
    • HDDs.
    • SSDs.
    • Graphics cards.
    • NICs.


    How many laptops/tablets can take server boards?
    Awesome! Now that is true mobile computing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Who said PC's were going the way of the Dinosaur, that looks like a great rig for a bicycle.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Minority?


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Yeah, because you're a Desktop user. That's where the main complaints are coming from. Do you really think a college student or a family really need more RAM, HDDs, SSDs, Graphics cards, and NICs or server boards? Really? Every person I know that has a laptop has 4 gigs of RAM and a 2GHz dual core processor and they're fine, some even use PhotoShop on that.
    That's fine if all you ever do is type up the occasional Word doc and login to Facebook.

    You can use Photoshop on XP machines too.
    The spectacular/tricky filters like lots of RAM and CPU power.
    If you don't mind waiting for the transformations to execute, you don't need any power.

    It's the same thing that people say about SSDs; once you've tried the speed you can't live with HDDs.

    Lots of people need more RAM and storage.
    I've got 4.5 TB installed in my PC and it's not enough.
    I haven't seen any laptops with 4.5 TB (yet).

    Quote Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
    So that means we don't get a say? Because we are in the minority, does our opinion not count?
    Minority compared to what? Smart phones?
    I have no doubt that Windows is installed in more desktops, than any other form factor.

    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post

    And people say that being behind a monitor all day makes you unfit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    We live in times where a tablet form factor is packing an i7 mobile processor, 8 gigs of RAM, and a SSD drive that would give many desktops a run for their money and then some.
    How many people are going to pay a grand for a i7 tablet? I do agree that the desktop is slowly dying, and is going to become a gaming platform only (at least until they finally manage to kill PC gaming, which is the way the industry is pushing... but thats a debate for another time).

    Its well known that GENERALLY mobile platforms do not game, and do not handle heat well. I can't imagine anything worse than sticking an i7 in a tablet and gaming on it.... and gamers are the sort of people who would spend that money on that tablet, and these are the people that would go out and buy (or more likely build!) a desktop for that. How do I know? I am that user.

    As for touch being the future, again I disagree, on a gaming platform, the keyboard and mouse aren't going anywhere. You just can't get the same level of control with touch, plus reaching for my desktop (or even laptop!) screen every couple of minutes is going to get my arms tired very quickly.

    Yeah, because you're a Desktop user. That's where the main complaints are coming from.
    So that means we don't get a say? Because we are in the minority, does our opinion not count?

    Its not like MS are saying "Hey here is our new OS for touch systems, but don't worry it still works just as well for desktop users." Well actually, that is what they are saying, but patently it isn't true.
    Well, apple users pay a good grand for an i7 crapbook, but that's the demographic here. Right now, they're expensive, as is any high end computing product. Realistically, not many average users need that horsepower and would do fantastic on an i3 processor. With Windows 8, and the mobile devices that will come out, that could easily change. Even then, one could design a Windows Slate to have good ventilation without a ton of bulk, but then again; if you're gaming you probably want a keyboard and a mouse.

    On a gaming system, a touch screen obviously doesn't work, the same goes with console gaming. The only way a console system would have touch is if the controller itself was touch, but gesture is what is new with that. I believe touch input works great on mobile systems and obviously touch screens. Gesture will work great on everything else.

    I said that about Desktop users because honestly, that's where a lot of complaints are coming from. Some say Windows 8 is crap on laptops and some think it would be best for the laptop but crap for the desktop. Why? It works totally fine. The only reason why there are issues with Desktop users, I believe, is that Windows 8 doesn't give the Desktop interface as much attention as before and is kind of an afterthought. I find it silly that one would complain that your screen displays a different interface than the Desktop when one can easily click on the Desktop tile or a Desktop program. To me, that's where I think some people lose the concept of Windows 8 and the Start Screen, it's not a start menu full screen, it's that and much more.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 7
    Vista/Windows 8


    I too voted yes even though I quite like w8. I would hate to think that this was an end product and assume there is a lot of work going on at Microsoft to refine it. It does seem to be a policy of Microsoft to release before it is bug free and let the users such as yourselves sort it out for them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by Greygoose View Post
    It does seem to be a policy of Microsoft to release before it is bug free and let the users such as yourselves sort it out for them.
    This is untrue and an internet myth. Their Windows 7 beta was extremely reliable and stable and I can say the same of Windows 8.

    The reason these unfounded rumors propagate I think, is because people run into issues that they don't understand and it is easiest for the ego to blame it on something else.

    Say what you will say about MS, but they never set you up to fail.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Petition to Microsoft addressing 8
Related Threads
Source: How we're addressing misleading apps in Windows Store
addressing reset and recovery options in Installation & Setup
My problem is as follows. i installed monitoring and filtering software on the computer. my kids just restarted the computer and choose refresh and it was gone. in win 7 i set a new restore point and deleted the previous ones solving that problem. i know that there is a way to not allow using...
Read more at: How the 'One Microsoft' mission is changing Microsoft Research | ZDNet
Read more at: Microsoft to rebrand 'Windows Azure' as 'Microsoft Azure' | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook