Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Hibernate in windows 8.1 Asus T200

windows 8.1 64bit

Hi there,

Looking to enable hibernate on my new 8.1 laptop. I use on battery power a lot, and need the machine to use as little power as possible when I close the lid, not worried about a slightly longer start up...

I have googled and turned up repeated pages telling me to enable "hibernate" or in some instances "hybrid sleep", in my shutdown settings. However, my machine does not seem to have this option! Several of these pages had pictures of the same menu I am viewing, but mine just doesn't have the hibernate option. The options I have are: "Turn on fast startup" "Sleep" "Lock".

Machine is Asus T200TA, with 4GB Ram, running 8.1 64bit.

Many thanks!

My System SpecsSystem Spec

Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Turn on hibernation:

You can enable hibernation by executing the below command from elevated administrator command prompt. Right click Windows start icon and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
    Code:
    powercfg /hibernate on
    Turn off hibernation

Hibernation can be disabled by running the below command.
    Code:
    powercfg /hibernate off

s: XP, Win7, Win8, Ubuntu

I think that, according to the article, you have to do the pwrconfig setting/command first.

Try these links.....
    ---Show hibernation & Lock options
    Hibernate - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Power Options Menu - Add or Remove Sleep or Hibernate in Windows 8

---show hibernation - Choose what the power buttons do.
    How to enable hibernation on a computer with Windows 8 preloaded - Lenovo Support (US)

I think that Brink on here, and on sevenforums- has a tutorial or two about this.

HTH
    Last edited by Brink; 14 Mar 2015 at 08:46. Reason: updated tutorial links ;)

windows 8.1 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by dperecky View Post
    I think that, according to the article, you have to do the pwrconfig setting/command first.

Try these links.....
    ---Show hibernation & Lock options
    Hibernate - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Power Options Menu - Add or Remove Sleep or Hibernate in Windows 8

---show hibernation - Choose what the power buttons do.
    How to enable hibernation on a computer with Windows 8 preloaded - Lenovo Support (US)

I think that Brink on here, and on sevenforums- has a tutorial or two about this.

HTH

I have been through these articles already... But, on re-reading them now, one interesting thing has come up: If I run shutdown.exe /h in command prompt my computer will hibernate... as in post 1 here: No hibernate option in Windows 8.1 Pro tablet even after "powercfg -h on" - Super User post 2 suggests a fix with a .reg file, but I have no idea what this means or how to implement it.

windows 8.1 64bit

fixed it....

adding a reg file sounded hard, but wasn't really....

s: XP, Win7, Win8, Ubuntu

congrats!