Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Laptop experiencing weird freezes

  1. #1


    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1

    Laptop experiencing weird freezes


    I tried to search for solutions over the internet but I can't find anything that matches my situation.
    All of a sudden, the screen and the cursor stops, and the audio sounds hanged (like a glitched buzzing sound) all in a short moment. The case is, this problem happens frequently. Also, restarting would cause the problem to disappear at first, but will start to appear sooner or later.

    I haven't found the cause or the trigger when this problem arises, and I hope to find a solution with you all. Thank you


    I'm using a Windows 8.1 64-bit OS
    Intel Core i5-4200U
    4.00 GB RAM
    500 GB HDD Space

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Pittsburgh
    Posts : 103
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Bit


    Thank you for posting your system specifications. The i5 has sufficient processing power for most tasks.

    Using task manager, resource monitor and/or process explorer will show if a resource is being used up by a process. This is a good first step in narrowing down causes of a slow down.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    St. Augustine
    Posts : 388
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64


    Is this something that just started happening or has it been happening for some time?

    Does problem happen with certain activities like game playing or at random regardless of what you are doing on the PC?

    Is there anything that coincides with this starting to happen like after updates, install new program, improper shutdown, power loss or anything out of the ordinary?

    How old is PC?

    Did it come with 8 or 8.1

    How much free space on HDD

    Are all updates up-to-date?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by JHough View Post
    Thank you for posting your system specifications. The i5 has sufficient processing power for most tasks.

    Using task manager, resource monitor and/or process explorer will show if a resource is being used up by a process. This is a good first step in narrowing down causes of a slow down.
    What I've noted is that the CPU usage of System goes up from 0~2 to 10~16 for a short moment whenever the laptop 'freezes'.




    Quote Originally Posted by gator2013 View Post
    Is this something that just started happening or has it been happening for some time?

    Does problem happen with certain activities like game playing or at random regardless of what you are doing on the PC?

    Is there anything that coincides with this starting to happen like after updates, install new program, improper shutdown, power loss or anything out of the ordinary?

    How old is PC?

    Did it come with 8 or 8.1

    How much free space on HDD

    Are all updates up-to-date?
    It usually happens when I'm playing a game, although it also occurs some times regardless of what I'm doing.
    I believe there's nothing coinciding with this starting to happen.
    It has been happening for some time already.
    I've bought this brand new 7 months ago, and it came with Windows 8.1.
    My Computer says that I have 212 GB free on my HDD.
    Yes, I'm running Windows Updates daily.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Pittsburgh
    Posts : 103
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Bit


    Is the disk activity spiking?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    St. Augustine
    Posts : 388
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64


    It would be helpful to know what programs are loading at startup and how much RAM they are using. 4 GB RAM is kind of at the low limit these days. After startup and everything has loaded check Task Mgr, Memory Tab, how much memory is in use? Your model i5 is a good processor but definitely not a speed demon and it could be memory starved especially at high demand. Can you post a screenshot of your program startup list?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by JHough View Post
    Is the disk activity spiking?
    Nothing happens with disk activity.

    Quote Originally Posted by gator2013 View Post
    It would be helpful to know what programs are loading at startup and how much RAM they are using. 4 GB RAM is kind of at the low limit these days. After startup and everything has loaded check Task Mgr, Memory Tab, how much memory is in use? Your model i5 is a good processor but definitely not a speed demon and it could be memory starved especially at high demand. Can you post a screenshot of your program startup list?
    Screenshot by Lightshot
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    St. Augustine
    Posts : 388
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64


    Thanks for the screenshot.

    I by no means profess to know everything here but that seems to be an awful lot in the startup list especially with only 4 GB RAM and your particular processor and remember the HDD's in laptops are generally slower than those installed in desktop. 5400 vs 7200 RPM's. Five of the items are listed as High Impact. I wouldn't think you need your Daemon Imaging Tools to be loaded at startup or CCleaner. There are likely several items that don't need to be loaded at startup. I have no familiarity with Lenovo PC's and I am not exactly certain which of the other items could be disabled at startup without causing a problem but I would bet there are several more that could be disabled at startup that would not cause any issues but would improve your performance significantly. Maybe someone will add to this thread with some additional suggestions as to what you don't need to have loaded for optimal performance. I am fairly certain that this is the source of your performance issues or at least a large part of it

    With all these items loaded check Task Manager/Performance Tab, highlight Memory and at the bottom, how much memory is available?

    Also, I don't think you need your Adobe CS5 at startup.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 112
    Windows 8.1


    Open Task Manager, click 'more details' at lower L, click CPU tab under Processes to sort by processes using most CPU and take a screenshot. Do same with a sort by clicking Memory so we can see what resources are being used.

    Windows key + prt sc will take a full screen and save it in your Pictures folder under Screenshots or use Snipping tool
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by gator2013 View Post
    Thanks for the screenshot.

    I by no means profess to know everything here but that seems to be an awful lot in the startup list especially with only 4 GB RAM and your particular processor and remember the HDD's in laptops are generally slower than those installed in desktop. 5400 vs 7200 RPM's. Five of the items are listed as High Impact. I wouldn't think you need your Daemon Imaging Tools to be loaded at startup or CCleaner. There are likely several items that don't need to be loaded at startup. I have no familiarity with Lenovo PC's and I am not exactly certain which of the other items could be disabled at startup without causing a problem but I would bet there are several more that could be disabled at startup that would not cause any issues but would improve your performance significantly. Maybe someone will add to this thread with some additional suggestions as to what you don't need to have loaded for optimal performance. I am fairly certain that this is the source of your performance issues or at least a large part of it

    With all these items loaded check Task Manager/Performance Tab, highlight Memory and at the bottom, how much memory is available?

    Also, I don't think you need your Adobe CS5 at startup.
    I've disabled most of the startup programs that look unnecessary for the system.
    I've got around 2.5 GB memory left.
    I checked my processes and there's alot of them that I don't recognize... I can't determine which processes are being used by the system and which are not.
    Screenshot by Lightshot

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgeek View Post
    Open Task Manager, click 'more details' at lower L, click CPU tab under Processes to sort by processes using most CPU and take a screenshot. Do same with a sort by clicking Memory so we can see what resources are being used.

    Windows key + prt sc will take a full screen and save it in your Pictures folder under Screenshots or use Snipping tool
    For CPU: Screenshot by Lightshot
    For Memory: Screenshot by Lightshot
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Laptop experiencing weird freezes
Related Threads
Hello for the past couple of weeks i've been experiencing mini-freezes/ stutters on my desktop while doing various task such as watching a youtube video, playing a game like a MOBA type and listening to music via itunes. Specifically speaking for about 1-2 seconds my pc will stutter in sound and...
My laptop freezes whenever I click something. in Performance & Maintenance
Whenever I click something, for some reason, my laptop will just freeze. However, I can move my mouse around. Also, this doesn't just happen for a few minutes, this goes on forever. I had it sitting for about an hour with no luck, and it was just frozen. How do I fix this? Does anybody know a...
This problem is happening on both our Dell laptops (both same model, same OS, just different programs now), more often on one than the other. There are a range of scenarios so I will try to give a general summary without being too confusing: On some occasions the freeze occurs immediately...
Ok, so I have Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook (L322X), and I've had it for a few months with no issues, and everything was perfect. In the past few days, however, I have been experiencing this weird problem where the window that I have open will randomly become un-selected (as if I clicked on another...
My friend received a new laptop running windows 8 (acer v5-471). When the 'w' key is pressed it brings up the search page With settings filter selected (e.g apps, settings, file filters) when shift + w is pressed it prints 'W'. All other keys work as expected, the keyboard layout is set...
Lately, while browsing, the computer start to freeze in this way: First the browser (any browser) gets stuck loading pages but it is responsive (I can change tabs, scroll, select text etc) The taskbar stops working at all and the mouse cursor changes to spinning circle when I hover on it. ...
Laptop Freezes After Lid is Opened in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hello All My Lenovo U310 Ultrabook does not function properly after being put into sleep mode. If I close the lid and open it again, it will work for 10 seconds and then it will crash, forcing me to restart my computer every time. I have tried to fix this in countless occasions, but I have...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook