Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

locked out

  1. #1


    Posts : 1
    gateway

    locked out


    On my gateway laptop when I start it,it prompts for a password but we never set up a password on it.I can't even get the start up disk to work.can't get it to do anything.can anyone help me.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Just out of curiosity, is this a "work" laptop? Asking because, in my own experience using these, the IT folks set a password to prevent unauthorized folks from using the machine.

    Otherwise, if it prompts immediately, that is, before it loads the Windows logon screen, that sounds like a BIOS password -- and, I don't think there's any way around those.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    If you are using a Microsoft account (an email) to sign in to Windows, the password is the one for your email in question. If you are using a local account without password and there's no password set, just leave the password field empty and press Enter to sign in to account.

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    If you are using a Microsoft account (an email) to sign in to Windows, the password is the one for your email in question. If you are using a local account without password and there's no password set, just leave the password field empty and press Enter to sign in to account.

    Kari
    This is going to sound like nit picking but the Live ID login password doesn't have to be the same password as the one used for that e-mail account tied to the Live ID. My live ID password and my e-mail password are totally different passwords.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    If you are using a Microsoft account (an email) to sign in to Windows, the password is the one for your email in question. If you are using a local account without password and there's no password set, just leave the password field empty and press Enter to sign in to account.

    Kari
    This is going to sound like nit picking but the Live ID login password doesn't have to be the same password as the one used for that e-mail account tied to the Live ID. My live ID password and my e-mail password are totally different passwords.
    Yes, that's true if using a third party email as Live ID / MS Account. If using an MS email, the passwords are the same.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    If you are using a Microsoft account (an email) to sign in to Windows, the password is the one for your email in question. If you are using a local account without password and there's no password set, just leave the password field empty and press Enter to sign in to account.

    Kari
    This is going to sound like nit picking but the Live ID login password doesn't have to be the same password as the one used for that e-mail account tied to the Live ID. My live ID password and my e-mail password are totally different passwords.
    Yes, that's true if using a third party email as Live ID / MS Account. If using an MS email, the passwords are the same.
    Do they have to be the same password though? It's my understanding it can be any valid e-mail address and any password you want? I don't have a Microsoft E-mail account so if I'm wrong I'll just have to take your word for it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    An MS Account with an MS hosted email address(*) as a sign in account to Windows has and uses the password of that email. If the user changes his / her email password at Outlook.com, it will become the new password to sign in to Windows 8 or later using this account.

    Kari

    (*) Including email addresses from outlook.com, hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com and their localized versions like hotmail.fi or live.co.uk, excluding Office 365 email addresses which are in case of MS Account considered as third party email addresses.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    An MS Account with an MS hosted email address(*) as a sign in account to Windows has and uses the password of that email. If the user changes his / her email password at Outlook.com, it will become the new password to sign in to Windows 8 or later using this account.

    Kari

    (*) Including email addresses from outlook.com, hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com and their localized versions like hotmail.fi or live.co.uk, excluding Office 365 email addresses which are in case of MS Account considered as third party email addresses.
    OK, thanks, nice to know and something I didn't know.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

locked out
Related Threads
Locked out in Network & Sharing
I was trying to share my c drive to my network and took it too far. I ended up changing permissions and now I cant access the c drive or any program, I am locked out. What now :p
HELP!! Locked out of PC! in User Accounts and Family Safety
I recently updated to windows 8.1, spend a few hours working on it to find out that the homegroup did not work, troubleshooted that *worked*, made an effort to "initiate" a vpn with my Client (PC2 / Desktop w/ windows 7) On Host (PC1 / Laptop w/ windows 8.1) Created incoming connection ...
Solved Locked out of Windows 8 in General Support
Hello all, I recently sold a PC and the guy returned it and I don't know his email password to login and haven't been able to get a hold of him. The PC didn't come with a Win 8 disk and I wouldn't really want to go that rout either. I wouldn't mind doing a straight up factory image restore, but...
Locked out!! in User Accounts and Family Safety
I wanted to use my PC to stream music at a party. I thought I`d be smart and create a temporary account without admin privileges and place some playlists on the desktop. Then I used the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList tweak to hide my account from...
I was wondering about it, cos I haven't seen this since the early 2000's when Lenovo took over IBM... Lenovo was the first I ever saw to put Biometric scanners in Laptops. IN 2003 or 2004, I came across a laptop that had something LIKE TPM in it, or maybe it was one of the first - The Whole...
Solved Help my homegroup is locked! in Network & Sharing
My homegroup wont let me allow devices for some reason. I go to settings in the control panel and try to change it and the window just closes then I go to windows 8 settings in homegroup and I see this (attachment) and its grayed out and locked. What do I do?
Locked drive in Drivers & Hardware
As a beginning user of Windows 8 Pro I still have my old XP installation on a separate hard disk. I tried to keep both systems in the same machine by dual-boot setup. However soon Windows 8 refused too boot with error smthg like 'Locked drive'. I just guess that maybe the previous XP session ran...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook