Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


DVD's won't play in Windows Media Player

  1. #11


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    I'm just curious, is Windows 8 seeing the drive as a DVD drive? or just assigning it a drive letter?
    Might need to reinstall the drive's drivers so that it can see it as a DVD, ran into this problem with
    a Medion PC, and had to re-install the Windows 7 driver again so that Windows 8 could see it was a
    DVD drive.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    INDIA
    Posts : 148
    Windows 8 RP, Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    This must be a bug or something because Msoft said they are going to remove WMC from the final version and instead "charge you extra for it" and if WMP doesn't work then by default you will not be able to play a DVD in the final version of Windows 8 at all without having to either purchase WMC or you will need to install a third party DVD player which is utterly and profoundly ridiculous.

    Windows 8 = FAIL if that is the case.
    Probably they will loose a big fraction of customers... And charges for WMC.. totally flop idea
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts : 76
    Win 8.1 Update 1 Pro 32-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by kapilarya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    This must be a bug or something because Msoft said they are going to remove WMC from the final version and instead "charge you extra for it" and if WMP doesn't work then by default you will not be able to play a DVD in the final version of Windows 8 at all without having to either purchase WMC or you will need to install a third party DVD player which is utterly and profoundly ridiculous.

    Windows 8 = FAIL if that is the case.
    Probably they will loose a big fraction of customers... And charges for WMC.. totally flop idea
    I'm still trying to figure out where everyone has gotten the idea that WMC will not be in the final release of Win 8. As far as I can tell, talk of WMC has only been mentioned once in the Windows Blogs, when they were talking about various SKU's of the final release.

    Unless I'm reading this wrong, the blog only mentions that you will have to buy a WMC add-on for Windows 8 Pro. It never says that it is being removed from all versions!!! Unless someone has found another blog (other than regurgitations of second-hand opinions) that mentions otherwise....

    Just my own thoughts.

    John
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts : 76
    Win 8.1 Update 1 Pro 32-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    I'm just curious, is Windows 8 seeing the drive as a DVD drive? or just assigning it a drive letter?
    Might need to reinstall the drive's drivers so that it can see it as a DVD, ran into this problem with
    a Medion PC, and had to re-install the Windows 7 driver again so that Windows 8 could see it was a
    DVD drive.
    On my system, Windows Explorer and WMC, sees it as a DVD drive. Windows Media Player does not list the DVD drive as it is not coded to see such drives anymore.

    John
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    John? Have you tried another DVD playback software title, such as Roxio's Cineplayer? Could just be the software, and with Cineplayer it will tell you what is blocking the playback, such as if it is a driver. Which is/was my guess in the first place.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts : 76
    Win 8.1 Update 1 Pro 32-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    John? Have you tried another DVD playback software title, such as Roxio's Cineplayer? Could just be the software, and with Cineplayer it will tell you what is blocking the playback, such as if it is a driver. Which is/was my guess in the first place.
    Hi Mike,

    Yes, I have Roxio Cineplayer, and it works quite well. Yes, my system sees the DVD drive as such.


    The OP had the original problem with Win 8 Media Player, which as we know now will not play a DVD, Blu-ray, probably not even a CD. Microsoft has seen fit to remove these abilities from WMP. According to their "telemetrics", people use these features less and less. The abilty to use this media is still in Windows Media Center.

    Contrary to my previous post on this subject, I have researched again about Media Center, and I stand apologetic. I found that most likely it will not be included with Win 8 by default. You will have to purchase a WMC add-on pack, just like did with Win XP. According to Microsoft this is a way of mitigating the cost of licensing codecs.

    If in the future you don't want to go with Microsoft's WMC, one of the best replacements I've found is JRiver Media Center. It does everything WMC does and a lot more. It is skinnable and quite the pleasure to use.

    John
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    The ability to play DVD in WMP was removed by MS. Check this thread for the latest on WMC and WMP. Its all about license fees for the codec.

    Making Windows Media Center available in Windows 8

    I use WMC and it will depend on the price if I will use it in Windows 8. Will look for free alternatives before I buy.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts : 76
    Win 8.1 Update 1 Pro 32-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    The ability to play DVD in WMP was removed by MS. Check this thread for the latest on WMC and WMP. Its all about license fees for the codec.

    Making Windows Media Center available in Windows 8

    I use WMC and it will depend on the price if I will use it in Windows 8. Will look for free alternatives before I buy.

    Jim

    Hey Jim,

    Gman has mentioned in other posts the free MEDIAPORTAL - a HTPC Media Center for free!, which is very similar to JRiver Media Center software($50 US). Both are very customizable and a pleasure to use. You can even use the Media Center remote control with either of these apps.

    John
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    Anyone tried adding ffdshow and playing DVDs?

    Another alternative is XBMC The nice thing about this portal is, one may select the 'back-end' player to use, assuming the default doesn't provide whatever it is you need.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Yeah, ffdshow has been on my systems for years now.

    Both MediaPortal and WMC can be altered to use any codec for any situation. MediaPortal has it in its configuration to choose and for WMC, you can edit the registry with the proper strings.

    This attachment lets you see all the codecs on your system and you can get their CLSID strings too, to enter into the registry for WMC. For instance, one moment you can be using native x.264 decoder in WMC then you can change it to use PowerDVD's x.264 and restart it etc....

    Tools | Advanced gives you the options.

    It's useful and even can uninstall stuff:
    DVD's won't play in Windows Media Player Attached Files
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
DVD's won't play in Windows Media Player
Related Threads
okay, I did a search in WMC and it found all the songs from a certain artist. now, how do I get WMC to play them all? I mean, to add them all into the playing list or whatever. (I can only figure out how to add them in one at a time. )
So for some background I basically stream music, pictures and video content from my computer to an Xbox 360 in the lounge room for my family to enjoy. This has worked for quite a long time with Windows 7. I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview today and got settled in with it and indexed my...
I'm running Windows 8 Pro (32-bit) on a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 laptop. I installed the Windows Media Center Pack today from the Microsoft promotion that allows you to get it for free until January. When I try to play a DVD through Windows Media Center, I get this error message: "Cannot Play DVD...
Windows Media Player in Software and Apps
I upgraded my Dell XPS8500 (64bit) to Windows 8. I have installed all of the update drivers I could find. My graphics card is the AMD Radion HD7800. So, the problem I am encountering is with Windows Media Player. When I play an wmv or mp4, there will be skips or bleeps here and there. About three...
Hi all, Somewhat stupidly rushed out and bought 8 home edition for my media pc without researching it, and found it doesn't have home media centre and need win 8 pro to install it. Playing DVDs is not a problem as I can just use VLC, but VLC won't play many blurays. Google isn't clear on...
I installed Windows 8, and now avi files look like poo when played through Windows Media Center on my PC or X-box. The same .avi file looks great when Windows Media Player is used though.... I was using Windows 7 before the "upgrade" and Media Center worked just fine on my PC and X-box. Example...
Windows 8 Metro Apps Play To and Media Sharing - Softpedia
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook