Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows Photo Viewer unable to open proprietary RAW image files.....

  1. #1

    Windows Photo Viewer unable to open proprietary RAW image files.....


    Hello to all,
    I have just noted while trying to bring W8 up to speed, that Windows Photo Viewer can not display .NEF or .CR2 RAW image files. I have associated all the image file extensions with the Windows Photo Viewer and do not use the App Version. I don't recall but tried to begin the process of finding "codecs" that allow it to show the files, which they do very well in W7 Photo Viewer. Does anyone have experience with this or ideas. I found Nikon's specific Windows 7 codecs program and it would not install. Thanks for any assistance!
    Glenn

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Howdy Jimbo,
    Many thanks for your reply and great alternatives. I have viewers that I can view them with, I was just hoping to figure out how to get the default viewer to work, don't remember how I did it on W7....... Dang!
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Howdy Jimbo,
    Many thanks for your reply and great alternatives. I have viewers that I can view them with, I was just hoping to figure out how to get the default viewer to work, don't remember how I did it on W7....... Dang!
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    You will need the appropriate codecs to view these image types. Best place to start is with your camera software/manufacture site.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    You will need the appropriate codecs to view these image types. Best place to start is with your camera software/manufacture site.
    Howdy Calico,
    I found a windows codec pack that works for everything but the .CR2 Canon files. The search continues, will try Canon!! Thanks
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by glennc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    You will need the appropriate codecs to view these image types. Best place to start is with your camera software/manufacture site.
    Howdy Calico,
    I found a windows codec pack that works for everything but the .CR2 Canon files. The search continues, will try Canon!! Thanks
    Glenn
    Hi there
    Have you tried these from the MS site itself !!!

    Download: Microsoft Camera Codec Pack - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

    cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    With photoscape you can convert CR2 to other formats

    PhotoScape download - Baixaki
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    You will need the appropriate codecs to view these image types. Best place to start is with your camera software/manufacture site.
    Howdy Calico,
    I found a windows codec pack that works for everything but the .CR2 Canon files. The search continues, will try Canon!! Thanks
    Glenn
    Hi there
    Have you tried these from the MS site itself !!!

    Download: Microsoft Camera Codec Pack - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

    cheers
    jimbo
    Hello Jimbo,
    Yes that is the pack that I finally found. Won't do .CR2. Oh well, thanks for the idea!
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by vrosa View Post
    With photoscape you can convert CR2 to other formats

    PhotoScape download - Baixaki

    Hello vrosa,
    Thanks for the response and the idea. I have other programs that will do the conversions, just wanted to try and get the Photo Viewer to display properly. Will display all but .CR2. Find that strange. Appreciate your time and suggestion!
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows Photo Viewer unable to open proprietary RAW image files.....
Related Threads
Okay... I feel like a complete idiot but for the life of me I can't figure this out in Windows 8.1. When I open a photo in Windows Photo Viewer (or Paint or Picture Library) the bloody photo is really small. The full-screen button on Windows Photo Viewer is disabled. What the heck is going on...
ImageGlass v2.0 beta - Free and open source image viewer in Free Developer Programs and Projects
ImageGlass is a simple picture viewer with which you will be able to display your image collection in a very similar way to the one that Windows provides by default, but with some additional functions. This application will allow you to better manage your pictures thanks to the options it includes...
Hey, animated gifs and windows photo viewer Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums Does it work to window 8.1 ( No Problem/Errors/Any Issue) ?? and maybe there is something better ?
On my old Win 7 and Win Vista and Win XP laptops I've had no problems opening and viewing my old MPEG-2 video files. My new laptop running Win 8.1 will not allow me to view them. Windows Media Player will only recognize them as audio files - not video - though the sound will play. Real Player...
In the Metro screen, some shortcuts have an icon that looks like the Windows Photo Viewer icon. Some of these programs are: Macrium Reflect, Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center, TightVNC Viewer and Adobe Reader XI. See the screenshot below. How can I restore the icons, and prevent it from happening...
ImageGlass is a lightweight, versatile image viewing application that is designed to take the place of Photo Viewer in Windows 8, 7 and Vista, especially those installations that may have trouble displaying PNG and GIF files in Photo Viewer. ...
I have my photos stored on an unRAID server. I can browse to these files and open the photos in Windows Photo Viewer. However, if I try to open in Win 8 Photos, the app crashes and I get the error message: Windows cannot access \\ path to photos You do not have permission to access \\ path to...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook