Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Stability question about multiple OS reinstalls

  1. #1


    Posts : 12
    Windows 8.1 64bit

    Stability question about multiple OS reinstalls


    First of all a warm greeting to everyone around, as I've just finished creating my account and joining the community!

    As the title states, I have an issue I am not able to clear up for myself and couldn't (seemingly) find anything related on Google on the subject.

    I've just finished building my new rig a couple of weeks back, and have become overly excited about the whole thing which caused me to mess around with my Windows 8.1 installation tweaking and installing all sorts of monitoring\optimization software which in the end rendered the system a bit unstable and I decided to perform a clean re-installation.

    The process didn't go so well as I clumsily installed it on the wrong drive due to exhaustion and had to delete/install it on the proper one (SSD+SSHD config).

    Yet another few days later on I wanted to try out my old Windows 7 Ultimate OS on the rig, but was unhappy with it and reinstalled 8.1 yet again.

    Now finally unto my question, do the multiple installations/re-installations of the (Windows) OS affect the overall stability or snappiness of a system, or perform excessive wear on the storage drivers? I admit I am somewhat of a perfectionist and ending up installing Windows so many times on a new machine has me a bit worried. Of course I do not plan on keeping this up in the future, just on a need-to basis.

    My storage configuration is a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (for OS purposes) and a 1TB Seagate SSHD for mass storage and my Operating System I am and plan to be using is Windows 8.1 64bits. Also, the system is performing exceptionally well at the moment, so my question is more theoretical in nature I suppose.

    Thanks in advance, and excuse my wall of text on the subject.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    It wont cause any "excessive wear on the storage drivers" or "affect the overall stability or snappiness of a system"as all your doing is writing to the drives but you could run into problem with other things if your doing upgrade rather than clean installs eg with driver conflicts why dont you use a virtual machine or dual boot your system if you want to be switching between different OS's I would say use a virtual machine if you want to keep tweeking the system that way if you mess it up its not a big thing and once you have it tweeked just the way you want it you can then make it into an ISO and install it as a main OS
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 12
    Windows 8.1 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by khm2008 View Post
    It wont cause any "excessive wear on the storage drivers" or "affect the overall stability or snappiness of a system"as all your doing is writing to the drives but you could run into problem with other things if your doing upgrade rather than clean installs eg with driver conflicts why dont you use a virtual machine or dual boot your system if you want to be switching between different OS's I would say use a virtual machine if you want to keep tweeking the system that way if you mess it up its not a big thing and once you have it tweeked just the way you want it you can then make it into an ISO and install it as a main OS
    Thanks for the reply!

    You're referring to driver conflicts if I upgrade from W7 to W8 from the same installation, as opposed to just installing W8 directly, correct?

    I am not entirely familiar with the concept of a virtual machine as I am by no means an expert and haven't used Windows in quite a while, but I have started looking into it since seeing your post, much appreciated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    The short answer is no, though SSDs have a finite number of write cycles before they give out, so in a very technical sense you're causing excessive wear on the SSD, but I still wouldn't worry about it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 12
    Windows 8.1 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by asvent View Post
    The short answer is no, though SSDs have a finite number of write cycles before they give out, so in a very technical sense you're causing excessive wear on the SSD, but I still wouldn't worry about it.
    Thanks for replying asvent,

    I am aware of the SSDs limited write cycles, however I recall reading a few reviews (including on the Samsung I purchased) which state the life cycle has improved quite a bit over the last few years, and you should get a few years worth of life out of a consumer based SSD. I obviously don't plan on installing my OS twice a week, so I'm thinking just day to day usage for browsing/gaming/media content.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by Insipid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by asvent View Post
    The short answer is no, though SSDs have a finite number of write cycles before they give out, so in a very technical sense you're causing excessive wear on the SSD, but I still wouldn't worry about it.
    Thanks for replying asvent,

    I am aware of the SSDs limited write cycles, however I recall reading a few reviews (including on the Samsung I purchased) which state the life cycle has improved quite a bit over the last few years, and you should get a few years worth of life out of a consumer based SSD. I obviously don't plan on installing my OS twice a week, so I'm thinking just day to day usage for browsing/gaming/media content.
    Spinner HDDs have limited life cycle too and it's lower than modern SSDs !!! The only downside of SSDs is their price/GB ratio ! No need to "baby" SSD any more with tendencies to be more and more durable. According to tests, all the chances are that you will outgrow it's size or an SSD to become obsolete before you run it down by normal use.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 12
    Windows 8.1 64bit


    Thanks CountMike, much appreciated!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by Insipid View Post
    Thanks CountMike, much appreciated!
    SSDs have matured immensely last couple of years and most of data on them is way behind times and so are "advices to save them from tear and wear" that turned into some kind of Urban Myth which is way out of date. The naked truth is that as long as AHCI mode is turned on and "Trim" in windows works, there is no reason to treat them any different than a "spinner" of same size.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 12
    Windows 8.1 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    SSDs have matured immensely last couple of years and most of data on them is way behind times and so are "advices to save them from tear and wear" that turned into some kind of Urban Myth which is way out of date. The naked truth is that as long as AHCI mode is turned on and "Trim" in windows works, there is no reason to treat them any different than a "spinner" of same size.
    So I imagined, but the articles I kept reading did seem a bit outdated on the subject. I've checked the settings you've mentioned and confirmed that AHCI is enabled (checking Samsung Magician software), but how can I check if Trim is also enabled, or is it so by default?

    Thanks again!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by Insipid View Post
    Thanks for replying asvent,

    I am aware of the SSDs limited write cycles, however I recall reading a few reviews (including on the Samsung I purchased) which state the life cycle has improved quite a bit over the last few years, and you should get a few years worth of life out of a consumer based SSD. I obviously don't plan on installing my OS twice a week, so I'm thinking just day to day usage for browsing/gaming/media content.
    That's more or less why I said I wouldn't worry about it. Only in a very technical sense, barely worth mentioning, have you done anything wrong.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Stability question about multiple OS reinstalls
Related Threads
BSOD multiple errors, multiple situations in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hey EightForums, I am new to you however not new to troubleshooting over forums as I used to run Ubuntu and as you may know that is non-stop forum troubleshooting. So lets get into this. Having some trouble with my girlfriend's windows 8.1 PC. I've tried doing a system refresh with no luck....
I built a computer recently. Since day one I get BSODs but the drivers, and Bug/Checks listed are never the same. I was thinking it couldn't be a single device or driver so I've: Replaced the MOBO. Repair Installed the OS. Replaced the RAM. It BSOD'd multiple times between each change. ...
I have a Windows 8 x64 PRO OEM DVD and I am creating an image for my entire fleet of over 200 tablets. Each tablet will be purchased through the Microsoft Store, they are DELL XPS 12 Tablets that have Windows 8.1 Pro on them from factory. I need to format all the machines and install my custom...
Hey guys thanks for reading this post. For work, I run software that can only be opened a single time on a computer - no way around it - however, on my Windows 8 computer, I figured out that I can open the software on different user accounts on the same computer, and the software runs perfectly...
Solved 3770k stability issue in Drivers & Hardware
Over the pass couple of weeks I have tried to make my system stable. It happens at many occasions that the cpu pass the 24 hours occt test but then started crashing about a week later. I have played with the voltages and clock speed but had no luck.I know the problem is not heat because I have a...
Hi, How many times can I install using my purchased Win8 Pro 64 (for OEM software) DVD? I installed it first as dualboot with Xp then unistalled it using EasyBCD & reformated its partition. I tried to reinstall it again with same DVD but, after entering the the 5 sets of ID & click on...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook