Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Accidentally deleted my Search icon from /programs

  1. #1


    Detroit
    Posts : 68
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64

    Accidentally deleted my Search icon from /programs


    I was doing some organization and cleaning of my app screen on windows 8.1 and I should have known better but I deleted the search icon from programdata/ms/windows/start/programs. I was able to retrieve the icon but even after placing it back where it belongs - searching doesn't seem to be working properly.

    Anyone have any ideas on a means of repairing without a full dism? I would hate to have to undo everything I did just to get my search function back!

    Thank you

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Detroit
    Posts : 68
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64


    no way to fix ths eh?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Canada
    Posts : 1,950
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit


    From the elevated command prompt (Admin) run one at a time

    sfc /scannow

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    sfc /scannow

    Boot when finished. These processes will take a while and appear to be frozen but they are not. Let them complete their function.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Detroit
    Posts : 68
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas on a means of repairing without a full dism?
    I have made plenty of adjustments to my registry and my services I dont want to lose Any less "general" way of fixing it? As i mentioned I "DO" have the icon back, however it doesnt seem to bring anything up when I search.

    I appreciate your reply very very much however!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Canada
    Posts : 1,950
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit


    The instructions would only fix any system file corruption and missing components.

    You may also try rebuilding the Index
    Index - Rebuild - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Nuccii View Post
    From the elevated command prompt (Admin) run one at a time

    sfc /scannow

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    sfc /scannow

    Boot when finished. These processes will take a while and appear to be frozen but they are not. Let them complete their function.
    I keep mine in a batch file with a pause to keep the window from disappearing after they are done.

    Click image for larger version

    Actually it's a shortcut to the batch file set to be run as administrator.

    Click image for larger version

    It makes running the scans easy.
    It takes 2 hours or so to run the batch file.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Detroit
    Posts : 68
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Nuccii View Post
    The instructions would only fix any system file corruption and missing components.

    You may also try rebuilding the Index
    Index - Rebuild - Windows 7 Help Forums
    hmm so registry wont be touched at all? or atleast editing of such wont be perceived as "corruption"? This is good to know. Perhaps ill apprehensively try it then lol.

    As for the index, i did disable windows search (index) so im unsure if rebuilding it will do anything? I assume if you dont use file indexing it doesnt use the index at all?

    Again - thanks SO much for your replies
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Detroit
    Posts : 68
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuccii View Post
    From the elevated command prompt (Admin) run one at a time

    sfc /scannow

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    sfc /scannow

    Boot when finished. These processes will take a while and appear to be frozen but they are not. Let them complete their function.
    I keep mine in a batch file with a pause to keep the window from disappearing after they are done.

    Click image for larger version

    Actually it's a shortcut to the batch file set to be run as administrator.

    Click image for larger version

    It makes running the scans easy.
    It takes 2 hours or so to run the batch file.
    lol god forbid I have to do this frequently or even semi frequently but I am a pack-rat when it comes to registry files and batch files etc. I will certainly poach your idea :P
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuccii View Post
    From the elevated command prompt (Admin) run one at a time

    sfc /scannow

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    sfc /scannow

    Boot when finished. These processes will take a while and appear to be frozen but they are not. Let them complete their function.
    I keep mine in a batch file with a pause to keep the window from disappearing after they are done.

    Click image for larger version

    Actually it's a shortcut to the batch file set to be run as administrator.

    Click image for larger version

    It makes running the scans easy.
    It takes 2 hours or so to run the batch file.
    lol god forbid I have to do this frequently or even semi frequently but I am a pack-rat when it comes to registry files and batch files etc. I will certainly poach your idea :P
    Hope you find it useful.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Canada
    Posts : 1,950
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit


    Thanks David

    Created mine and works good
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Accidentally deleted my Search icon from /programs
Related Threads
Hi. So I was erasing malware and junk off my laptop (Satellite C855) trying to get rid of any viruses and I accidentally deleted Atheros AR8162/8166/8168, I later found out that my wifi was no longer working, What should I do? Is it a simple fix or should I send it out to a shop? -Thanks
Hello, I recently partitioned my Asus ROG G750JW into 2 main parts: One 300GB for a mackintosh, and one 6** (remaining space) for windows 8. That worked fine, until I tried to format what I thought was random partition with a size of 128MBs. I believe this to be the EFI partition, and you know...
So I was trying to install a program which required I delete a single item from the wow6432node but I accidentally tried to delete the entire folder from the registry. Now my computer starts with a bunch of weird symbols on thee screen and I cannot sign in. I have tried staring while holding...
What should I do to re-install them? Please help.
accidentally deleted administrator, what to do now? in User Accounts and Family Safety
i accidentally changed my admin account into local account now i can't install apps and do anything with it. help please 25767 whenever i try to install some apps it always say.. type an administrators password but then i dont know how to. all i remember was that before i change my account into...
I have windows 8 and I was on my live account. ( On live.com) when I accidentally hit the delete account button and I wasn't paying attention and ended up deleting it. The problem is, my windows 8 user is registered with my live account. So it says the live account email. But it's deleted. How can...
Release Preview - I stupidly deleted a .ini file thinking it was spurious and now my Desktop no longer is listed on the Metro Screen. Suggestions? I don't have a restore point unfortunately.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook