Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Future For Windows 8.1

  1. #31


    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    This whole thread makes no sense to me. When Win 8 was first released, I don't recall people asking what the future held for Win 7. Same with XP when Vista was released or Vista when Win 7 was released.
    First off, some did ask about Vista when Windows 7 was released, because while most looked at 7 as a fix for Vista, others like me started to appreciate Vista once the two service packs were applied and fixed most of the disk IO issues. So Vista users wanted some assurance of it's future.

    And again, I prefer 8.1 to what I've seen in 10 TP. 10 is meant to "fix" 8x, but many 8.1 users want there to be some future for their preference. After all, I'm on a Windows 8 Forum aren't I?, so why wouldn't I want to see what might come of it's future now?

    It appears that users like asvent are also like minded.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    asvent, you do realize that the Mac OS-X theme can be changed. It is just that most people leave it how it is. As for Wintel, I have not heard that term used for almost a decade and a half. Microsoft has been in bed with Intel, since day one. It was only recently in the past six years or so, that Apple went with Intel as their platform. Because the costs were cheaper and they got a better deal after IBM stopped producing the RISC chips that Apple was using.

    Now this argument is not about Apple vs. Microsoft, or Microsoft vs. Linux. People choose each for their own reasons. A lot of people have started to move over to Linux and Mac OS after Windows 8.x.x came out. Once Google gets Android and ChromeOS in line. You will start seeing a huge surge of people no longer adopting Windows.

    Right now Microsoft has a lot riding on if they are going to still have a high user share when Windows 10/8 sp2 comes out. MS has pretty much screwed up Office, Server Windows & their mobile OS. They are pretty much now grasping at air at this point. Look at the weekly, almost daily reports of how much MS is stating that they are starting to flounder.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    I have 8.1.1 .

    Classic Shell.
    WindowBlinds.
    Iconoid.
    Metro apps are pretty much useless---

    Click image for larger version

    Do use Metro search.

    Autohide Taskbar.

    Ran Windows 10 in a VM & saw nothing to get excited about.

    I think a lot of people will stick with Windows 8.1 before using 10.

    If it is free I'll try it.
    But will keep a Macrium image of what I have.

    I have a feeling 10 will be buggy to start with.
    Better to wait to install it after a few bugs get fixed.

    I have most things pinned to the Taskbar or on the Desktop.
    Don't use Classic Shell but for odd programs & Control panel.

    I think 8.1 will be like XP.
    It will be around for a while.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,585
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Thornton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    This whole thread makes no sense to me. When Win 8 was first released, I don't recall people asking what the future held for Win 7. Same with XP when Vista was released or Vista when Win 7 was released.
    First off, some did ask about Vista when Windows 7 was released, because while most looked at 7 as a fix for Vista, others like me started to appreciate Vista once the two service packs were applied and fixed most of the disk IO issues. So Vista users wanted some assurance of it's future.

    And again, I prefer 8.1 to what I've seen in 10 TP. 10 is meant to "fix" 8x, but many 8.1 users want there to be some future for their preference. After all, I'm on a Windows 8 Forum aren't I?, so why wouldn't I want to see what might come of it's future now?

    It appears that users like asvent are also like minded.
    But MS isn't going to do anymore development to Win 8.1 no matter how hard you wish. So there is no future for it. Doesn't mean you have to stop using it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    asvent, you do realize that the Mac OS-X theme can be changed. It is just that most people leave it how it is.
    Think you've got me confused with someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    As for Wintel, I have not heard that term used for almost a decade and a half. Microsoft has been in bed with Intel, since day one. It was only recently in the past six years or so, that Apple went with Intel as their platform. Because the costs were cheaper and they got a better deal after IBM stopped producing the RISC chips that Apple was using.
    It also didn't hurt that Intel's CEO was buddies with Jobs and Intel is well known for giving companies money for "marketing" purposes.

    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Now this argument is not about Apple vs. Microsoft, or Microsoft vs. Linux. People choose each for their own reasons. A lot of people have started to move over to Linux and Mac OS after Windows 8.x.x came out. Once Google gets Android and ChromeOS in line. You will start seeing a huge surge of people no longer adopting Windows.

    Right now Microsoft has a lot riding on if they are going to still have a high user share when Windows 10/8 sp2 comes out. MS has pretty much screwed up Office, Server Windows & their mobile OS. They are pretty much now grasping at air at this point. Look at the weekly, almost daily reports of how much MS is stating that they are starting to flounder.
    While I doubt anyone will dispute the "lost decade" of Ballmer where MS spent its time chasing the taillights of Apple, Sony and Google, Windows 8 marks the first major milestone in a multi-CEO effort to unify Windows for the desktop, cell phone/tablet and the Xbox. All the back end stuff is more or less finally done, so in theory you could start seeing it become possible to write a metro/modern style app that runs on everything from desktops to cell phones to game consoles. That would be nothing short of a game changer and could do wonders to propel the sagging tablet and phone market to the point of at least being competitive. Plus, it would essentially deliver on a lot of the promises of Java... Companies could write one app and deploy it to employees using standard desktops, tablets, cell phones, etc. It would allow for an experience far more rich than you get from web apps, while still being properly sandboxed.

    That's been the end game with Windows for a very long time now. They kind of jumped the gun with Windows 8 though and probably should have held off at least one more release until they had a more or less complete solution ready. I'm sure the idea was to try and get people accustomed to the new interface and even get people writing apps for it, but that kind of backfired on them in a big way. Still, if they can pull off a largely seamless way for developers to target multiple platforms with a single bit of code, that would most definitely make a lot of developers sit up and take notice of the Windows Phone platform since they could also tap into the desktop and even Xbox One markets.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    asvent, you do realize that Java still has a huge hole in it, that has not been patched. .net also has a lot of issues that MS has not resolved, same with TragicX, which Metro & both Windows 8 & 10 heavily rely on to work.

    You need to start paying attention to what is going on with MS, by getting out of the forums and reading the real news of the negative direction MS is going.

    It is sad that in order to keep the company alive, they now have to finally get on board with Google & Linux development to save theirselves. Face the fact, that the ship is sinking and even 10 is not going to save it going underwater.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    asvent, you do realize that Java still has a huge hole in it, that has not been patched. .net also has a lot of issues that MS has not resolved, same with TragicX, which Metro & both Windows 8 & 10 heavily rely on to work.
    Okay... Once I could write off as just an honest mistake, but now I have to ask if you're actually reading and comprehending what is actually being said. I only referenced the initial selling point of Java with the whole "write once run anywhere" slogan that was a complete load because it was basically impossible to write a program that did anything useful that would qualify. I never said anything about Java security or really anything else about the language.

    If you're going to have an imaginary conversation with me, I'm not going to be held responsible for things you imagined me saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    You need to start paying attention to what is going on with MS, by getting out of the forums and reading the real news of the negative direction MS is going.

    It is sad that in order to keep the company alive, they now have to finally get on board with Google & Linux development to save theirselves. Face the fact, that the ship is sinking and even 10 is not going to save it going underwater.
    I have... Microsoft is in a major transitional period right now. Not only is a multi-decade and multi-CEO effort to unify the disparate Windows variants finally starting to come together, but Microsoft is adopting a more agile inspired development model. They're trying to speed up the pace at which programs get released, having more frequent releases with fewer changes per release.

    Windows on the desktop isn't going anywhere soon. It would cost probably tens of TRILLIONS of dollars for all the Fortune 500 companies to switch to anything else and no CTO, CFO or CEO is going to be the one who signs off on that when it would send the stock price into a tailspin, since stock options make up a huge chunk of their compensation package. Not to mention, what would they switch to? Mac OS X? Apple's business model is too disruptive, Apple has a nasty habit of not bothering to tell anyone when they stop supporting any given OS release, they have never supported an OS as long as Microsoft has and there's nothing even beginning to approach ActiveDirectory for OS X. Repairing and upgrading Apple units is getting increasingly difficult the more Apple solders everything to the logic board, so company IT staff couldn't even do much in the way of basic triage. Linux then? Hardware support for new systems is still spotty at best and the open source community is prone to a lot of infighting and major disruptions happening on a whim of a few people. Plus even LTS distributions are only supported for 5 years, about half that of Windows. Also, while you can lock down Linux pretty effectively, I've never seen anything like ActiveDirectory that lets an admin control a large number of systems from one location. So then maybe go with a bunch of Unix workstations from HP or one of the others? Now you've got a mix of problems such as limited hardware options a la Apple, plus you'll be paying significantly more for it. This is before you have to rewrite any/all custom programs your company wrote because most HP Unix workstations will be using the PA-RISC CPU. HP will absolutely bleed you dry on support contracts too, making you pay annually to receive even security updates to the OS. I wish that I were making this sort of thing up, but I'm not. The things we take for granted in the Windows world, like security updates, you have to pay for in the commercial Unix world. There have been lawsuits where HP or Oracle sues some little third party support company for providing these kinds of updates to people who bought hardware from HP or Oracle. Android/ChromeOS and iOS are not even viable options on their face right now.

    One other thing to consider is if a company has a major ERP program like SAP. You ever tried using the web interface for SAP? I fortunately only have to use the portal aspect of it and that's more than enough. As bad as the Windows "native" interface is, I will take that in a heartbeat over anything else I've seen. Plus, once a company spends the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars it takes to implement SAP, which usually consists of paying some developer obscene amounts of money to write custom modules for SAP to make it work like your business or turn your business upside down to work like SAP says it should... You seriously want to propose the company just walks away from that and start over?

    You need to remember that you and I are not Microsoft's core customer. They're happy to sell us stuff, but in the end we don't matter. Microsoft is interested in the enterprise customer, the Fortune 500 companies. Companies that will buy volume licenses for Windows, then licenses for ActiveDirectory, Exchange, SQL Server, the works, to go along with it. You and I buying one or two computers every couple of years is insignificant. You also need to remember that Microsoft became the dominate player because, as bad as they are, they are still heads and shoulders better than everyone else that Enterprise customers might go to. Compared to basically everyone else, they're cheaper, support their products longer, and the tight integration of products makes administration quite a bit easier.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    asvent, I stopped reading your post when you started to get delusional. I am not a MS customer. I may work on them for friends and family. But majority of the devices I work on now, are running either Apple's iOS & Mac OS-X, Android or Linux. I keep my old netbook with Windows 7 on it, in case I have someone that has a screwed up iOS device. Otherwise it just sits on a shelf collecting dust.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    asvent, I stopped reading your post when you started to get delusional. I am not a MS customer. I may work on them for friends and family. But majority of the devices I work on now, are running either Apple's iOS & Mac OS-X, Android or Linux. I keep my old netbook with Windows 7 on it, in case I have someone that has a screwed up iOS device. Otherwise it just sits on a shelf collecting dust.
    Got it: You have absolutely nothing to back up your arguments, which are based on what appears to be a mix of you attributing comments from one person to another and then just flat out making things up. When someone calls you on your BS arguments, you drop a couple ad hominems and talk about how you don't even use Windows anymore.

    You try and puff up your chest and act all nonchalant like you don't really care, but like someone with a really bad comb-over, the only one you're fooling is yourself. Either you're here, on a Windows specific forum in a discussion about potential future development directions of Windows, because you care a lot more than you're trying to let on, or you're just straight up trolling. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here and just assuming you're acting like a toddler who threatens to take their toys and go home when they start losing a game as opposed to deliberately trolling.

    If you were so happy with your other devices, you wouldn't be here, in this thread, engaging people in a discussion about something that's of fringe interest to you at best. I could understand being here for the technical discussions to keep your skills reasonably sharp, but you wouldn't be trying to debate the direction Microsoft was going if you were being completely truthful. Frankly you can delude yourself all you want, I don't care, provided you keep it to yourself.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    asvent I have more to back up my argument than you do. You are so delusional at this point. That you are probably bouncing up and down in your chair and shaking your fists. At this point, you have proved nothing that the industry will not adopt Windows 10. They sure are not adopting Windows 8 as Microsoft first thought.

    Majority of the back end runs on Linux. As for your argument about Apple not letting consumers know what is coming down the pipe is actually incorrect. Apple does more to inform their developers and user group than Microsoft Does. You know why Apple is more adopted for tablet & phone platforms. That is because it is an all in one package that works.

    If you look at the numbers when 8 came out. There is a large segment that either jumped ship from Microsoft, or stayed with Windows 7. Only a very small share has stuck with Windows 8, and will not even consider moving to 10, because it brings nothing new to the game.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Future For Windows 8.1
Related Threads
Read more at: Microsoft's Windows future: One core, many SKUs | ZDNet
I can't imagine going back to pre-Windows 7 without the 'winkey+right/left' snapping. It makes managing things so much easier for me. I can't imagine going back to pre Windows 8, with it's new move/copy dialouge box making it so individual files can be paused, and each job is placed neatly in...
Read more at: Microsoft: Phablets are Windows RT's future | ZDNet
One of the obvious issues with Windows 8 is the lack of decent apps, most are pretty useless, often don't work and offer nothing of value to the user. This is one example of how dire the app situation is for Microsoft: The offer, which is current and runs until 30th June 2013, allows developers...
The future of Windows 8 is still on the desktop, says Fujitsu The future of Windows 8 is still on the desktop, says Fujitsu
The Future of Windows in Windows 8 News
more
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook