Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


This folder is empty | Too slow to load

  1. #1


    Posts : 44
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free

    This folder is empty | Too slow to load


    Guys, I really need your help with this one.

    Click image for larger version

    I don't know what to do. I've been searching on how to fix this thing up but I can't find a descent answer.

    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 5547

    Specs:
    Intel 4th gen Core i7, 8gb ram, 2gb video card

    PS. I can temporarily fix the problem by deleting (End Task) the exlorer.exe but after how many minutes the problem is back =(



    Thank you in advance! =)

    EDIT:
    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version

    Last edited by Mondy; 18 Oct 2014 at 11:56.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 216
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    It could be a couple of things. Years ago this was a big problem during XP and early Windows 7. If you have a lot of network connections defined, the system would hang until every connection was evaluated and either connected or timed out. I've still seen this with systems that have mapped drives to other systems. If those systems are unavailable, they eventually timeout. The system doesn't wait anymore, but it could have a negative effect. That's why sometimes you see the other system icon, but when you click on it, it says it can't connect and asks you if you want to diagnose. Although it's better nowadays, do you have a lot of network connections setup?

    But from the green bar at the top, you may want to check your Indexing Service. It can grow to be huge if you are indexing a lot of locations. Here's a tutorial on how to reset the index.

    Index - Rebuild - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Here's a video on trimming your index and/or moving it.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    If the above does not solve your problem:

    1- Open Admin command prompt and run:
    - dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    - sfc /scannow

    2- then run : chkdsk /r C: . This command may take a while to complete

    3- Or You might have a bad shell extension:

    Please download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows


    1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
    2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu
    3. On the list, you'll see some of the entries with pink background, those are installed by the third party software
    4. Hold down CTRL Key and select all of them then click on the red button on top left corner to disable.
    5. Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
    6. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fix your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 5 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 44
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free


    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuyGeek View Post
    It could be a couple of things. Years ago this was a big problem during XP and early Windows 7. If you have a lot of network connections defined, the system would hang until every connection was evaluated and either connected or timed out. I've still seen this with systems that have mapped drives to other systems. If those systems are unavailable, they eventually timeout. The system doesn't wait anymore, but it could have a negative effect. That's why sometimes you see the other system icon, but when you click on it, it says it can't connect and asks you if you want to diagnose. Although it's better nowadays, do you have a lot of network connections setup?

    But from the green bar at the top, you may want to check your Indexing Service. It can grow to be huge if you are indexing a lot of locations. Here's a tutorial on how to reset the index.

    Index - Rebuild - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Here's a video on trimming your index and/or moving it.

    What do you mean network connection setup? If you are talking about settings of internet connections, no I don't. (sorry not familiar with the terms)

    And yes, I'm gonna try the video you posted. Thanks! Gonna be back for the updates!

    EDIT: Btw, what is the purpose of getting SSD space? (Sorry for the question.)

    EDIT 2: Nah, can't even access control panel right now. =((
    Click image for larger version

    EDIT 3: Accessed control panel by deleting(end task) the windows.exe

    Here:
    Click image for larger version

    Heeeelp! =(((
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 44
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    If the above does not solve your problem:

    1- Open Admin command prompt and run:
    - dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    - sfc /scannow

    2- then run : chkdsk /r C: . This command may take a while to complete

    3- Or You might have a bad shell extension:

    Please download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows


    1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
    2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu
    3. On the list, you'll see some of the entries with pink background, those are installed by the third party software
    4. Hold down CTRL Key and select all of them then click on the red button on top left corner to disable.
    5. Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
    6. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fix your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 5 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.
    How to make the first option work?
    Click image for larger version

    and the option 2 didn't work. So, yeah =(
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Don't put a dash in front of the command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 44
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free


    Click image for larger version

    End of dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Did the command run till the end with a message: The operation completed successfully ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 44
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Did the command run till the end with a message: The operation completed successfully ?
    Nope. Just gonna try it again
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 44
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free


    Urgh. I can't still fix the problem. Help pslss =(((
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
This folder is empty | Too slow to load
Related Threads
Yesterday I was making a bunch of videos for Youtube and my editor throws each video into a diferent folder, after that I just move all the videos into the same folder and delete the empty folder, but, for some reason, there was this one folder that would not delete, and still doesn't, it says...
sources folder is empty in Installation & Setup
When I create a recovery drive on a USB, the sources folder is empty. I even tried showing hidden files and still nothing. I was not able to select the option to copy the recovery option from my PC when creating the recovery drive though. Could this be the problem?
hey when ever it try to open any folder in my computer its shows folder is empty even it has files in it then on task bar green ribbon runs for some time and then it shows files in folder...this wont be happening someday ago but now m getting this problem...hard drive test shows it is working fine
Hi, I recently installed an OEM Windows 8.1 as a dual-boot with Windows 7 from an installation DVD using this guide: https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2344-dual-boot-installation-windows-8-windows-7-vista.html Everything is working perfectly, no problems at all. However, I noticed a...
Some Programs Slow to Load in General Support
Some programs are becoming slow to load or do not recognize their connection to a file extension. Most noticeable are Nitro PDF Professional which doesn't always start when I click on a PDF file, sometimes it does, some times it doesn't. Quicken is often slow to start, some times the window opens...
Solved Recent Places Folder Empty in General Support
Hi, I hope this is in the right place. If I click on Recent Places on the left hand menu of windows explorer (File Explorer) the folder is always empty. Can anyone please shed some light on this? It's doing my head in. ETA - When I right click on taskbar and go to properties, both items...
Solved empty Printers folder in Drivers & Hardware
In the past couple of days I have had some strange issues with a few applications, which eventually led me to a problem with printers and Print Spooler service. When I check under Settings then Printers, it's basically an empty folder. I then check Control Panel - Hardware & Sound - Devices &...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook