Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


If the Desktop View isn't improved....

  1. #11


    Posts : 239
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by kostas7 View Post
    In my opinion, it would be great if Microsoft will make two versions of Windows 8. One with metro style that can be used by tablet users and one without.
    As others have posted, it's not going to happen although I hope I'm wrong. MS are determined to grab a bigger slice of the phone/tablet market so that users will pay up for downloaded apps. Cracking the Apple/Android hold is going to be a tough nut to crack but they may just do it. Don't hold you breath though as WP7 hasn't exactly been a raging success.

    In the meantime they will probably alienate many of their desktop users who will probably just shrug their shoulders and live with what they've got.

    Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 562
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Well, every Windows version is a winner (except vista) if you want it to be!
    I beg to disagree

    My cynical view is this,

    Vista may not have been perfect but it did mature into a super stable OS. There are things you can do in Vista (things that I use for customisation) that you just can not do in W7 or W8. Granted, there are one or two bugs in the way certain things worked, very very minor issues such as desktop icons occasionally resizing, things that have been discussed, whinged about and no fixes offered. In the scheme of things pretty minor issues.


    Then W7 comes along (and W7 seems to be a continuation of Vista in many ways... and lets be honest, it is virtually the same) and what do we find ? That these useful little features are simply removed altogether. Why ?... is it because there was no way to fix the little bugs I mention, and so what was done was simply remove the options instead.

    And so that has continued into W8. Except now, it seems that some of the things that could be done in W7 now can not be done in W8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 239
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post

    I beg to disagree

    My cynical view is this,

    Vista may not have been perfect but it did mature into a super stable OS. There are things you can do in Vista (things that I use for customisation) that you just can not do in W7 or W8. Granted, there are one or two bugs in the way certain things worked, very very minor issues such as desktop icons occasionally resizing, things that have been discussed, whinged about and no fixes offered. In the scheme of things pretty minor issues.


    Then W7 comes along (and W7 seems to be a continuation of Vista in many ways... and lets be honest, it is virtually the same) and what do we find ? That these useful little features are simply removed altogether. Why ?... is it because there was no way to fix the little bugs I mention, and so what was done was simply remove the options instead.

    And so that has continued into W8. Except now, it seems that some of the things that could be done in W7 now can not be done in W8.
    Once you cleared out Vista then it worked smooth and fine with me. In the meantime the media hammered it so **** sticks. We can play around with an OS all day long but first impressions count and most folks make a decision based upon what appears to be within a few minutes of seeing the thing boot up. Hence many OEM's were requested to 'downgrade' to XP or Linux even before the end user had seen Vista in the real world.

    Win8 may go the same way. Don't think it will be a middle of the road product. It will either fly or flop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I find that if the Start Screen and the Desktop color customization was system wide, as in blue window color, blue Start button, blue Start Screen background and complementarity colors here and there; I think that would be MUCH better for all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 239
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I find that if the Start Screen and the Desktop color customization was system wide, as in blue window color, blue Start button, blue Start Screen background and complementarity colors here and there; I think that would be MUCH better for all.
    Would that work on a phone/tablet? I don't own a WP or tablet so cannot pass judgement but that's the market MS are after, or would appear to be.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mart4494 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kostas7 View Post
    In my opinion, it would be great if Microsoft will make two versions of Windows 8. One with metro style that can be used by tablet users and one without.
    As others have posted, it's not going to happen although I hope I'm wrong. MS are determined to grab a bigger slice of the phone/tablet market so that users will pay up for downloaded apps. Cracking the Apple/Android hold is going to be a tough nut to crack but they may just do it. Don't hold you breath though as WP7 hasn't exactly been a raging success.

    In the meantime they will probably alienate many of their desktop users who will probably just shrug their shoulders and live with what they've got.

    Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    The Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 are two totally different platforms and should be discussed as such. Windows Phone has been getting rave critic reviews and has a user satisfaction rate equal to an iphone. The reason I find it's not gaining ground is not simply due to the metro design, it's due to what makes wireless carriers money.

    Take for example android, it's the preferred platform to push onto consumers. Back when it came out, it was only on the Motorola Droid, a smartphone, a higher end phone. Then, when google decided to license it to EVERY handset manufacturer, a higher end product became available to all, software wise. A platform that was available for say, a 200 dollar phone's OS became available to phones for say, 75 dollars, that is with new two year contracts. Honestly, a wireless carrier is the deciding factor on a phone's popularity. When the iphone came out, att made it their one and only flagship phone, even though their service sucked. Verizon's flagship phone is the Droid, and they hit hard with pushing a Droid or an android on people.

    Anyways, when a wireless carrier has a product that is less money for them to subsidize for a new two year contract, or a product that costs less, but; this is important here, not only can they sell a talk and text plan, but a data plan as well. So back then when a smaller group of people had smartphones and required data plans, that got expanded to "basic phones" running android.

    So you see, from my point of view, that's the REAL reason why the Windows Phone isn't getting much ground. But hopefully, that all changes come April, when att releases the Nokia Lumia 900 and from what rumors say, they will make it their new flagship phone as people are switching to Verizon for their iphones. And also, Nokia plans to do lots of marketing for the phone...so we'll see what happens...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mart4494 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I find that if the Start Screen and the Desktop color customization was system wide, as in blue window color, blue Start button, blue Start Screen background and complementarity colors here and there; I think that would be MUCH better for all.
    Would that work on a phone/tablet? I don't own a WP or tablet so cannot pass judgement but that's the market MS are after, or would appear to be.
    I think it would. Honestly, if you had a Windows tablet or slate, and have Office 15 installed, you'll be using the Desktop regardless. Even then, a Windows tablet, come on that implies Desktop use no matter what.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 239
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    The Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 are two totally different platforms and should be discussed as such. Windows Phone has been getting rave critic reviews and has a user satisfaction rate equal to an iphone. The reason I find it's not gaining ground is not simply due to the metro design, it's due to what makes wireless carriers money.

    Take for example android, it's the preferred platform to push onto consumers. Back when it came out, it was only on the Motorola Droid, a smartphone, a higher end phone. Then, when google decided to license it to EVERY handset manufacturer, a higher end product became available to all, software wise. A platform that was available for say, a 200 dollar phone's OS became available to phones for say, 75 dollars, that is with new two year contracts. Honestly, a wireless carrier is the deciding factor on a phone's popularity. When the iphone came out, att made it their one and only flagship phone, even though their service sucked. Verizon's flagship phone is the Droid, and they hit hard with pushing a Droid or an android on people.

    Anyways, when a wireless carrier has a product that is less money for them to subsidize for a new two year contract, or a product that costs less, but; this is important here, not only can they sell a talk and text plan, but a data plan as well. So back then when a smaller group of people had smartphones and required data plans, that got expanded to "basic phones" running android.

    So you see, from my point of view, that's the REAL reason why the Windows Phone isn't getting much ground. But hopefully, that all changes come April, when att releases the Nokia Lumia 900 and from what rumors say, they will make it their new flagship phone as people are switching to Verizon for their iphones. And also, Nokia plans to do lots of marketing for the phone...so we'll see what happens...
    As far as I can see the Apple phone is seen more as a fashion accessory. Whether it works better than an Android based one I have no idea as I use a Blackberry. But once you've bought into the Apple control freak show then people do seem to be hooked on the idea. I hope MS can make a significant dent in this show.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 562
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86


    Quote Originally Posted by mart4494 View Post
    We can play around with an OS all day long but first impressions count and most folks make a decision based upon what appears to be within a few minutes of seeing the thing boot up. Hence many OEM's were requested to 'downgrade' to XP or Linux even before the end user had seen Vista in the real world.

    Win8 may go the same way. Don't think it will be a middle of the road product. It will either fly or flop.
    Very true I think. First impressions do count for a lot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I find that if the Start Screen and the Desktop color customization was system wide, as in blue window color, blue Start button, blue Start Screen background and complementarity colors here and there; I think that would be MUCH better for all.
    This seems to be similar in idea:

    Beta Download | DisplayFusion by Binary Fortress Software

    "Change: Added an option to set the Windows Aero colour to match the wallpaper or the currently active window (Win7 and higher)"

    Confirmed that it works great here and is pretty cool to have Aero change to orange for Firefox, green for uTorrent, clear for Explorer, blue for IE etc...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
If the Desktop View isn't improved....
Related Threads
doing a repair on win 8 pc. from win 8 screen I click on IE icon. IE opens with address bar on bottom. and connects. networking shows cable connected. would like to change this back to traditional view . IN addition , when I open the desktop view from the win 8 screen and open IE . I get the...
If my desktop background image is a slideshow from my picture folders, is there a way to open the folder holding the particular picture from the desktop? I ask because sometimes a picture will pop up, and I'm not sure what folder it came from. It seems like in older windows versions you could...
Hi Everybody, If anybody could give me some pointers on my problem I would really appreciate it :) I have Windows 8.1 on my HP Pavilion Laptop. I have this problem where after starting my PC, logging in and being dropped into the Panel view, I wait for about 10 seconds... and then the PC...
I appear to have some how placed my icons on my desktop in Tile View. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to restore the icons to their normal appearance. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is a printscreen of a portion of my desktop so you can see what I'm talking about: 37075
OK, so I'm using a hp 2000, with windows 8 obviously. I wanted to try and hide a folder on my desktop for privacy, and to try it out I right clicked the folder and went to properties and clicked that, then I check-marked the hidden option. Now after that I looked online for ways to view my hidden...
I don't know what the new 'view' is called on IE 10, but after getting into ONE page, there is no way of choosing another tab or page or settings or anything. What precisely is one expected to do with it? No amount of running the cursor off-page helps one iota. Is this my browser, my computer or...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook