Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Icon symbol issue when checking “use this app for all .*

  1. #1


    Posts : 68
    windows 7

    Icon symbol issue when checking “use this app for all .*


    Icon symbol issue when checking “use this app for all .* files”,

    Please, have a look on the screenshots which better explain my issue

    I have *.loc file, and I wanted to open it once in Note Pad and then to get its symbol back to its initial state (no symbol for the file icon).

    Unchecking the “use this app for all ** files” never gets the icon back to its original state!

    Is there a solution to get the icon back to its initial state (no symbol)?


    Thank you

    Best

    Jamal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clip_544.jpg   Clip_545.jpg   Clip_546.jpg   Clip_547.jpg   Clip_548.jpg  

    Clip_549.jpg  

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    hello ,I think you need to make changes in file association ,just checking the use this app for all .loc files in your second last attachment will not do it as there isn't even another app in the list, to need to re-associate to app it belongs to ,and if my Googling is correct its belongs to a GPS program ,in the second last image it shows a more options link ,if you click that do you get you gps program in the list of programs to open the file
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    and there is a tutorital on file association ,but iam not sure if its what you want to paly around with .
    File Extension Type - Unassociate - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 68
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    and there is a tutorital on file association ,but iam not sure if its what you want to paly around with .
    File Extension Type - Unassociate - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Thanks caperjack,

    All what I need is to switch the icon back to be blank after choosing the option “use this app for all ** files”


    Is that possible?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clip_606.jpg   Clip_607.jpg   Clip_608.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Use option 2 from the link that caperjack gave you above. Once you unassociate the file type .loc from the list, it should default back to the blank icon.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 68
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Use option 2 from the link that caperjack gave you above. Once you unassociate the file type .loc from the list, it should default back to the blank icon.
    Many thanks topgundcp for the help,

    I couldn’t figure out how the software work. it converts all files types to be blank!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    I should have check the link I posted a little better .option 2 the download only works with win7 and Vista .option one the program ran on my win8 64bit but it looks a bit much [risky to play with ]just to make a blank icon.

    I still think you should just be able to right click on it and choose to open it with the program the file belongs to .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 68
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    I should have check the link I posted a little better .option 2 the download only works with win7 and Vista .option one the program ran on my win8 64bit but it looks a bit much [risky to play with ]just to make a blank icon.

    I still think you should just be able to right click on it and choose to open it with the program the file belongs to .
    Thanks caperjack

    Best

    Jamal
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by jamal numan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    I should have check the link I posted a little better .option 2 the download only works with win7 and Vista .option one the program ran on my win8 64bit but it looks a bit much [risky to play with ]just to make a blank icon.

    I still think you should just be able to right click on it and choose to open it with the program the file belongs to .
    Thanks caperjack

    Best

    Jamal
    your welcome ,did you finally solve your issue
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 68
    windows 7


    I have just formatted my machine after all my files got blank with the effect of that software.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Icon symbol issue when checking “use this app for all .*
Related Threads
Solved Desktop Icon Load Issue in Performance & Maintenance
Hi, I have recently upgraded from 7 to 8.1 and the desktop icons seem to take ages to load from start up. If I right click on the desktop this seems to spring them into action and they load quite quickly however if I do not right click on the desktop, the desktop background is displayed and the...
Recently, my laptop has run into a multitude of problems, but most of them have been solved by Dell. Today, I checked my device manager and I saw the yield symbol and an error on my monitor (called "Generic PnP Monitor), but nothing seems to be wrong with it as far as I know. I am thinking the...
Hello there, I am trying to debug some Crash Dump Files and I have not been able to load the Dump file properly because the WINDBG says the following error :- Loading Dump File Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***...
computer starts up i log in then red screen pops up with a windows icon in bottom left nothing is clickable and only ctrl alt delete does anything other account on comp works fine, it all started couple days ago where it would just flash up and either minimize or close what i was doing can anyone...
Below is a attachment that I am having a problem. Every time I send out a email in Windows Live Mail, that messenger icon is next to my name. Does anybody know how to get rid of that symbol or icon or what ever it is. This just started. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless. 30643
The On-screen keyboard in Windows 8 seems to be missing the ^ symbol, otherwise known as the caret. On most keyboards its found with shift+6. But in Windows 8, that is the one symbol on the number key row that is left out. Its a necessary key especially when you need to represent an exponent in...
I installed Windows 8 (from Windows 7) and things were OK. Then I went to the Nvidia site and tried installing the latest driver because things looked a little strange (nothing terrible, just some ragged edges). Now when I restart, I see the window-pane image and the little circle thing that...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook