Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


What does NA in StartUp mean?

  1. #11


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    @Adam: Whats that KnownDLL tab in the application showing "not found" indication for three items - anything to be done there?
    Can I delete all the the yellow items from that application?
    The answer is NO, do not delete them. Since Autoruns.exe is a 32bit application and it is a glitch running it in Windows 64 bit. If you double click on one of these entries, you'll see it in the registry where the .dll does exist in
    C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-wow64_xxx where xxx is some hex number

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    India
    Posts : 1,536
    Win 8.1 Update x64


    @topgun
    Ok, I'll not touch it, is that duplicate entries in the location highlighted in the app?

    Can i delete the other yellow highlighted items -
    Cpuz135 in drivers tab &
    BatteryCareauto in scheduled tasks tab ?
    Last edited by visruth; 06 Sep 2014 at 13:15.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Cpuz135 in drivers tab &
    BatteryCareauto in scheduled tasks tab ?
    1. Cpuz135_X64.sys is in the temp folder, that raises my suspicion it might be some kind of malware, no driver file should be in temp folder.
    2. for BatteryCare.exe, check if the file existed in c:\program files\...


    and Yes, I think you can safely delete those 2.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    India
    Posts : 1,536
    Win 8.1 Update x64


    @topgundcp

    Oh malware - really scared of that term
    I do a full system scan with MBAM, MS Malicious software removal tool & MS safety scanner every month,
    Nothing had come up in all the scans till now,
    Did MBAM few days back.

    I'll rescan, but how'll I specifically scan the file we're looking at?

    Is the cpuz135 in someway related to CPUZ app, I still have that app in me, should I delete it?

    Battery care utility, I had uninstalled when i had Power/battery problem after MS august updates Windows 8.1 Aug Update Released (KB2975719)
    - but nothing changed with that rather than just uninstall.

    I'll delete both of them?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 47
    Windows 8.1 Pro/Server 2012 R2 Datacenter


    Quote Originally Posted by visruth View Post
    Attachment 50381

    Anything i can do to bring down start up time of windows
    What you infer from the screenshots- any unwanted things to get rid off or is it something else?
    Yes, here's a rundown from personal experience removing these exact processes from various computers over the years

    BingDesktop - Obviously junk, remove.
    HotKeysCmds - Intel graphics bloatware, not needed unless you use its hotkeys to switch video modes. I've never seen it used. Remove.
    HPMessageService - No personal experience on this one, but any manufacturer stuff is bloatware in general. For proof, you can boot up safe mode just fine, and none of those get loaded. Disable
    igfxtray - Huge bloatware by intel for their on board graphics again, totally unnecessary. Adds 2 useless context items that show lots of Intel blue and the same functionality that Windows has built in. Unless you are rotating screens upside down you don't need this. Remove
    NCPluginloader - See HPMessageService. Disable
    Persistence - see igfxtray. Remove
    Rthdvcpl - Provides nothing useful outside of connector retasking. Unless you are constatly using that feature and can't run that EXE file yourself (it doesn't need to be in startup to give you the functionality if you even use it), remove it.
    Send to OneNote - Unless you're constantly using the Send To menu on right click to add items to One Note, this is also Office junk/bloatware. Remove.
    SunJavaUpdateSched - Keep this. Java is so inescure it really does need this updater. I would wipe Java off the machine personally, it's just a huge hassle, resource hog and security risk.
    WD Drive Unlocker - Leave this, figure out what it does online. If it's a BitLocker type of thing, and you're encrypting your files, definitely keep it. If not, try disabling it after checking all the sources.
    WD Quick View - See previous
    XBoxStat - Check online, disable. If you use this, you would know. In that case keep it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 47
    Windows 8.1 Pro/Server 2012 R2 Datacenter


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    @Adam: Whats that KnownDLL tab in the application showing "not found" indication for three items - anything to be done there?
    Can I delete all the the yellow items from that application?
    The answer is NO, do not delete them. Since Autoruns.exe is a 32bit application and it is a glitch running it in Windows 64 bit. If you double click on one of these entries, you'll see it in the registry where the .dll does exist in
    C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-wow64_xxx where xxx is some hex number
    Yup, this is correct, IMO a huge bug that Mr. Russinovich ought to fix. It's not like 32-bit programs can't access 64-bit reg keys to find out the true paths
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    India
    Posts : 1,536
    Win 8.1 Update x64


    Quote Originally Posted by aph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visruth View Post
    Attachment 50381

    Anything i can do to bring down start up time of windows
    What you infer from the screenshots- any unwanted things to get rid off or is it something else?
    Yes, here's a rundown from personal experience removing these exact processes from various computers over the years

    BingDesktop - Obviously junk, remove.
    HotKeysCmds - Intel graphics bloatware, not needed unless you use its hotkeys to switch video modes. I've never seen it used. Remove.
    HPMessageService - No personal experience on this one, but any manufacturer stuff is bloatware in general. For proof, you can boot up safe mode just fine, and none of those get loaded. Disable
    igfxtray - Huge bloatware by intel for their on board graphics again, totally unnecessary. Adds 2 useless context items that show lots of Intel blue and the same functionality that Windows has built in. Unless you are rotating screens upside down you don't need this. Remove
    NCPluginloader - See HPMessageService. Disable
    Persistence - see igfxtray. Remove
    Rthdvcpl - Provides nothing useful outside of connector retasking. Unless you are constatly using that feature and can't run that EXE file yourself (it doesn't need to be in startup to give you the functionality if you even use it), remove it.
    Send to OneNote - Unless you're constantly using the Send To menu on right click to add items to One Note, this is also Office junk/bloatware. Remove.
    SunJavaUpdateSched - Keep this. Java is so inescure it really does need this updater. I would wipe Java off the machine personally, it's just a huge hassle, resource hog and security risk.
    WD Drive Unlocker - Leave this, figure out what it does online. If it's a BitLocker type of thing, and you're encrypting your files, definitely keep it. If not, try disabling it after checking all the sources.
    WD Quick View - See previous
    XBoxStat - Check online, disable. If you use this, you would know. In that case keep it.
    Thanks aph for the most helpful reply

    N.B:I had disabled almost everything you listed from Task manager , is that enough or should I disable it from Autoruns or Whatinstartyp apps, where it is seen Not disabled still.

    Is Revo Uninstaller a good program? I could not see many softwares in it when compared to Uninstall utility in Control Panel:

    Click image for larger version


    I had hard time uninstalling Bing Desktop from Revo, when I click uninstall - it automatically starts Installer program instead of Uninstaller, So I had to click Force Uninstall.

    Uninstalled Java completely with advanced setup in Revo and some other junk SW

    But I'm unable to see few more I wanted to uninstall from Revo, but I can see them in Control Panel utility

    Any suggestions

    Also, other items you suggested about disabling, I had disabled some of them in Task Manager - startup But they are still seen Enabled from WhatinStartup application. Should I just Delete them from Autoruns Sysinternals program rather than disabling from WhatinStartup app?
    Last edited by visruth; 07 Sep 2014 at 14:22.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Quote Originally Posted by visruth View Post
    Also, other items you suggested about disabling, I had disabled some of them in Task Manager - startup But they are still seen Enabled from WhatinStartup application. Should I just Delete them from Autoruns Sysinternals program rather than disabling from WhatinStartup app?
    Don't just delete things from autoruns - it will still leave the program. Disable it is fine - from there or task manager. When you decide you don't want/need it then uninstall it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    India
    Posts : 1,536
    Win 8.1 Update x64


    Adam,

    Items like SendtoOne tool, XboxStat, WD utilities are diabled in task manager, But they are seen not Disabled in WhatinStatup. What should I do in this case?

    Click image for larger version

    I didn't yet delete any items from Autoruns whose Programs are still installed in my system , I don't see any disable option there in that software though
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    I don't know WhatinStartup - if they are different then I'd go with Task Manager. Disable those intel things as well as aph said.

    As for Autoruns you just untick the checkbox on the left hand side.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
What does NA in StartUp mean?
Related Threads
Whenever i start up my computer i get a command prompt pop up that says C;\ windows\system32\cmd.exe operation completed successfully, how do i get rid of this.
startup in General Support
weird problem with win 8.1, file explorer startup 3 times and stay in taskbar, and i have to close them one by one, else its ok. Dont happen with my other win8 pc. rab
Solved SSD startup in Drivers & Hardware
I recently did a clean install of Windows 8 and pretty much everything is peachy except for my SSD. I have an HP Pavilion dm4, beats edition (3170se), and when I reinstalled things from scratch the SSD configuration went crazy -- I have one of those hybrid drives with SSD and with Windows. What...
Please see the attached logs. This is a fresh installation of Windows 8. System Specs is on my user profile.
Solved startup in Performance & Maintenance
I looked in msconfig and saw selective startup ticked. I do not know what changed it to selective. I then changed it to normal. I looked in Ccleaner and many startup programs were still not enabled. Does this sound as though it should be?
How to Choose a Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 8 If you have more than one operating system installed along with Windows 8 for a dual or multi boot system, then this will show you how to choose a default OS to run at startup automatically. By default, the choosen...
Solved Adding .exe to startup. How? in Software and Apps
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum, I came here in hopes someone could help me with an issue. I usually had UAC in windows 7 disabled (never had any trouble with it) and I used to have in my laptop an exe file added to startup. This file was related to HD power management which is very useful,...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook