Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I really do think that Windows 8 will be a success

  1. #21


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Hi,

    I'm not so sure "old-timers" are as technologically challenged as we think, or at least I don't think so. Take a look at this poll that has been running a while now - look at which age groups make up the most users at SevenForums. If you have been active there, you will admit that the vast bulk of experience comes from the older members.

    Which age category do you fall in? - Windows 7 Forums

    Regards,
    Golden
    You are absolutely right Golden. I don't know where Coke gets this statement from.

    Well, the technological demographic isn't geared towards the older crowd, that's a given
    I am 74 years old and do not seem to have any problems keeping up with technology. If I could see better, I would certainly have one of those small gadgets too. But the screens are just too small for me.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    So, "old" people are not real people. Is that some kind of selective misanthropy! As for enterprises, well that's already been discussed here and elsewhere and the general consensus is the complete opposite to your assessment. By the way, when my teenagers had a chance to 'play' with Windows 8, their collective pronouncement was "it's gay"!
    Well, the technological demographic isn't geared towards the older crowd, that's a given.
    If you have some statistics, I'd really like to see them?

    Whilst it quite true that young people are generally quite quick to adopt new technology, they aren't the only group to do so. In fact the group with the highest adoption of new technology are the group with the highest disposable income and they are the 46 to 64 year old range, otherwise known as the 'baby boomers'. So I guess it depends on your definition of 'old'.

    And for enterprises, that's a general consensus of people saying that it's too much time and effort initially to move towards a new OS, maybe for productivity or simply cost. But if given the chance or opportunity, there are IT admins that would upgrade to 8.
    Unfortunately, that's pure speculation which is really quite contrary to the consensus. However, it's quite possible enterprises will find a liking for Windows 8 on the tablet and server. But only time will tell.

    HA! Hostility by calling something a name doesn't always pass off....I thought tablets were "gay" once, now I can see myself using one.
    In this case, it's not so much "calling something a name" rather, it's simply suggesting the product is not very good. However, in fairness to Windows 8, the disparaging remark was quite squarely aimed at Metro and not the underlying OS. It's also worth noting that I only mentioned their response, as an opposing view to your "college students, gamers, young people" comment.
    There really isn't a stat to defend such, but honestly, nowadays, the older crowd probably isn't going to be buying new PCs or upgrading their OS unless absolutely necessary. I'm not to say that ALL older people don't do such, but it's not as much as the younger age groups.

    But for enterprises that want to adopt tablets, a HUGE plus for Windows 8 slates will be the fact (except for ARM maybe) that they will fit right into a Windows based network infrastructure. It won't take a massive overhaul of everything just to adopt meager ipads.

    And for metro, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. Based off personal experience, metro design will fare pretty well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Hi,

    I'm not so sure "old-timers" are as technologically challenged as we think, or at least I don't think so. Take a look at this poll that has been running a while now - look at which age groups make up the most users at SevenForums. If you have been active there, you will admit that the vast bulk of experience comes from the older members.

    Which age category do you fall in? - Windows 7 Forums

    Regards,
    Golden
    You are absolutely right Golden. I don't know where Coke gets this statement from.

    Well, the technological demographic isn't geared towards the older crowd, that's a given
    I am 74 years old and do not seem to have any problems keeping up with technology. If I could see better, I would certainly have one of those small gadgets too. But the screens are just too small for me.
    Well, to defend myself, I'll just say that generally, not all the time, the older crowd isn't the demographic you see lining outside apple stores or hinging on every latest technology. Personally, I think it's awesome you're 74 years old and you keep up with modern technology. I think that's quite cool and I want to be like that when I get to that age. But usually, from what I speculate, if it still works, there's no need to replace it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Ok, the responses here are going into age related things. I'm going to clear this up. The youtube video of the father trying to figure out Windows 8, and then a later video of him using mac os, I think that goes to show worse towards the older generations because to me; that seems more like if older people can't grasp UI changes at all. I think that's odd, and what I think is even more odd is the fact that the father in that video is portraying "real" people and how they will use Windows 8. I've had some other people use Windows 8, and it was quite a success. With some simple tips, they figured out how to use it and enjoyed it.

    When I say the older generations don't upgrade their technology, I base this off more or less on the stereotype that older people simply don't. I understand that there are 50 year olds and 70 year olds that upgrade to new technology, but consider the fact that this is the nerdiest Windows sites that generally is populated with people that keep on the cutting edge of technological change, regardless of age. I'm not here to say that older people that are members on this forum don't upgrade to new technology, because that's not true; they're using Windows 8, the latest version. So, that is all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Well, to defend myself, I'll just say that generally, not all the time, the older crowd isn't the demographic you see lining outside apple stores or hinging on every latest technology. Personally, I think it's awesome you're 74 years old and you keep up with modern technology. I think that's quite cool and I want to be like that when I get to that age. But usually, from what I speculate, if it still works, there's no need to replace it.
    Coke, I know what you are saying. This is the general take. But in fact I think it is quite different. In Florida I live in a really rural area - 150.000 souls in the whole county. I am member and instructor in a computer club with well over 800 members - 90% are over 65 years old. And they are eager to learn and keep up with the times.

    During classes they saw how fast my laptop was because I use an SSD. Now everybody wants an SSD and I get calls from them to install it and to transfer the OS. Also, most of these people are pretty well off and can afford new gadgets.

    Have a look at our club website and you will get the idea. Hernando Computer Club, Florida Look at the instructors page to get an idea of the 'avanced' folks. I am not in this picture (it was taken during the summer when I am not here). But I would fit right in. The oldest on the picture is over 80.
    Last edited by whs; 23 Mar 2012 at 00:10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Ok, the responses here are going into age related things. I'm going to clear this up. The youtube video of the father trying to figure out Windows 8, and then a later video of him using mac os, I think that goes to show worse towards the older generations because to me; that seems more like if older people can't grasp UI changes at all. I think that's odd, and what I think is even more odd is the fact that the father in that video is portraying "real" people and how they will use Windows 8. I've had some other people use Windows 8, and it was quite a success. With some simple tips, they figured out how to use it and enjoyed it.

    When I say the older generations don't upgrade their technology, I base this off more or less on the stereotype that older people simply don't. I understand that there are 50 year olds and 70 year olds that upgrade to new technology, but consider the fact that this is the nerdiest Windows sites that generally is populated with people that keep on the cutting edge of technological change, regardless of age. I'm not here to say that older people that are members on this forum don't upgrade to new technology, because that's not true; they're using Windows 8, the latest version. So, that is all.
    Unfortunately, you're still making completely unsubstantiated claims about 'older' people'. It seems, all you have for your accusations are 'gut' feelings and a youtube video or two. The simple fact is, there will be people in any age demographic that will embrace new technology and there will be those who won't. The latter may be due to a whole variety of reasons, and age may well be a factor, but that could be any age, not just 'older people'. As I said in my earlier post, the group with the most amount of money to spend and quite often, the most amount of time on their hands are not young people. I might also add, it's this very same age group that are in the key positions, within the companies driving the change.

    But for enterprises that want to adopt tablets, a HUGE plus for Windows 8 slates will be the fact (except for ARM maybe) that they will fit right into a Windows based network infrastructure. It won't take a massive overhaul of everything just to adopt meager ipads.
    A couple of things. First, most large companies seldom run a single vendors Operating System or Applications on their networks. Second, decisions regarding which product to use, for any given task, are not simply based on the premise that because we have product A from company A, we should also use product B from company A. Most sensible companies will make their decisions based on best tool for the job.

    And for metro, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. Based off personal experience, metro design will fare pretty well.
    I'm sure it will, for tablets, smartphones and desktops, where running single instance applications for social networking is the cutting edge.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    We're not old. We're kids with experience.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Ok, the responses here are going into age related things. I'm going to clear this up. The youtube video of the father trying to figure out Windows 8, and then a later video of him using mac os, I think that goes to show worse towards the older generations because to me; that seems more like if older people can't grasp UI changes at all. I think that's odd, and what I think is even more odd is the fact that the father in that video is portraying "real" people and how they will use Windows 8. I've had some other people use Windows 8, and it was quite a success. With some simple tips, they figured out how to use it and enjoyed it.

    When I say the older generations don't upgrade their technology, I base this off more or less on the stereotype that older people simply don't. I understand that there are 50 year olds and 70 year olds that upgrade to new technology, but consider the fact that this is the nerdiest Windows sites that generally is populated with people that keep on the cutting edge of technological change, regardless of age. I'm not here to say that older people that are members on this forum don't upgrade to new technology, because that's not true; they're using Windows 8, the latest version. So, that is all.
    Unfortunately, you're still making completely unsubstantiated claims about 'older' people'. It seems, all you have for your accusations are 'gut' feelings and a youtube video or two. The simple fact is, there will be people in any age demographic that will embrace new technology and there will be those who won't. The latter may be due to a whole variety of reasons, and age may well be a factor, but that could be any age, not just 'older people'. As I said in my earlier post, the group with the most amount of money to spend and quite often, the most amount of time on their hands are not young people. I might also add, it's this very same age group that are in the key positions, within the companies driving the change.

    But for enterprises that want to adopt tablets, a HUGE plus for Windows 8 slates will be the fact (except for ARM maybe) that they will fit right into a Windows based network infrastructure. It won't take a massive overhaul of everything just to adopt meager ipads.
    A couple of things. First, most large companies seldom run a single vendors Operating System or Applications on their networks. Second, decisions regarding which product to use, for any given task, are not simply based on the premise that because we have product A from company A, we should also use product B from company A. Most sensible companies will make their decisions based on best tool for the job.

    And for metro, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. Based off personal experience, metro design will fare pretty well.
    I'm sure it will, for tablets, smartphones and desktops, where running single instance applications for social networking is the cutting edge.
    From many enterprises and corporate setups I've seen, from both private industry and public education, Windows is generally the base OS of choice. I have seen Ubuntu be used on 15 year old puters that once ran Windows 98. They're never used though from what I'm told. I have seen some ipads be used but usually as promo devices for adverting. Other than that, Windows is the operating system that is primarily ran on an infrastructure. Then again, Windows has always been in that situation.

    Metro design isn't limited to apps. Metro isn't apps. Metro is a design language that is used to design products like the Windows Phone, Start Screen, Zune software, IE 9, Office 2010, and the such.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Ok, the responses here are going into age related things. I'm going to clear this up. The youtube video of the father trying to figure out Windows 8, and then a later video of him using mac os, I think that goes to show worse towards the older generations because to me; that seems more like if older people can't grasp UI changes at all. I think that's odd, and what I think is even more odd is the fact that the father in that video is portraying "real" people and how they will use Windows 8. I've had some other people use Windows 8, and it was quite a success. With some simple tips, they figured out how to use it and enjoyed it.

    When I say the older generations don't upgrade their technology, I base this off more or less on the stereotype that older people simply don't. I understand that there are 50 year olds and 70 year olds that upgrade to new technology, but consider the fact that this is the nerdiest Windows sites that generally is populated with people that keep on the cutting edge of technological change, regardless of age. I'm not here to say that older people that are members on this forum don't upgrade to new technology, because that's not true; they're using Windows 8, the latest version. So, that is all.
    Unfortunately, you're still making completely unsubstantiated claims about 'older' people'. It seems, all you have for your accusations are 'gut' feelings and a youtube video or two. The simple fact is, there will be people in any age demographic that will embrace new technology and there will be those who won't. The latter may be due to a whole variety of reasons, and age may well be a factor, but that could be any age, not just 'older people'. As I said in my earlier post, the group with the most amount of money to spend and quite often, the most amount of time on their hands are not young people. I might also add, it's this very same age group that are in the key positions, within the companies driving the change.



    A couple of things. First, most large companies seldom run a single vendors Operating System or Applications on their networks. Second, decisions regarding which product to use, for any given task, are not simply based on the premise that because we have product A from company A, we should also use product B from company A. Most sensible companies will make their decisions based on best tool for the job.

    And for metro, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. Based off personal experience, metro design will fare pretty well.
    I'm sure it will, for tablets, smartphones and desktops, where running single instance applications for social networking is the cutting edge.
    From many enterprises and corporate setups I've seen, from both private industry and public education, Windows is generally the base OS of choice. I have seen Ubuntu be used on 15 year old puters that once ran Windows 98. They're never used though from what I'm told. I have seen some ipads be used but usually as promo devices for adverting. Other than that, Windows is the operating system that is primarily ran on an infrastructure. Then again, Windows has always been in that situation.
    I'm sorry, but from what you've just said, I can only guess you haven't been in many large companies.

    Metro design isn't limited to apps. Metro isn't apps. Metro is a design language that is used to design products like the Windows Phone, Start Screen, Zune software, IE 9, Office 2010, and the such.
    Well, it's a little more than that, however, I'm not really sure what that has to do with the ongoing discussion?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post

    Unfortunately, you're still making completely unsubstantiated claims about 'older' people'. It seems, all you have for your accusations are 'gut' feelings and a youtube video or two. The simple fact is, there will be people in any age demographic that will embrace new technology and there will be those who won't. The latter may be due to a whole variety of reasons, and age may well be a factor, but that could be any age, not just 'older people'. As I said in my earlier post, the group with the most amount of money to spend and quite often, the most amount of time on their hands are not young people. I might also add, it's this very same age group that are in the key positions, within the companies driving the change.



    A couple of things. First, most large companies seldom run a single vendors Operating System or Applications on their networks. Second, decisions regarding which product to use, for any given task, are not simply based on the premise that because we have product A from company A, we should also use product B from company A. Most sensible companies will make their decisions based on best tool for the job.



    I'm sure it will, for tablets, smartphones and desktops, where running single instance applications for social networking is the cutting edge.
    From many enterprises and corporate setups I've seen, from both private industry and public education, Windows is generally the base OS of choice. I have seen Ubuntu be used on 15 year old puters that once ran Windows 98. They're never used though from what I'm told. I have seen some ipads be used but usually as promo devices for adverting. Other than that, Windows is the operating system that is primarily ran on an infrastructure. Then again, Windows has always been in that situation.
    I'm sorry, but from what you've just said, I can only guess you haven't been in many large companies.

    Metro design isn't limited to apps. Metro isn't apps. Metro is a design language that is used to design products like the Windows Phone, Start Screen, Zune software, IE 9, Office 2010, and the such.
    Well, it's a little more than that, however, I'm not really sure what that has to do with the ongoing discussion?
    I guess maybe I haven't been in a lot of large enterprises, but what have YOU seen be used? I'm curious to know.

    I went off that little tangent because the word "metro" is becoming something that seems like only applies to the Start Screen. Metro isn't the Start Screen. It's not that. It's something TOTALLY else than that. In fact, the metro design language is becoming Microsoft's future in ALL their products and services.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
I really do think that Windows 8 will be a success
Related Threads
Just sharing in case people have been having the same problem following a Store update to 8.1. After downloading and installing via the store, a restart shows a bluescreen displaying: "Recovery Your PC needs to be repaired There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device...
Windows 8.1?s Success Critical for Microsoft?s ?Morale?
A tale of Windows store success: the developer making $30k a month - Neowin "But, if you were a developer and did believe in Microsoft's vision for the OS, you could have cashed in. One developer, Kevin Ashley, has written up his story about how he is making $30,000 a month in the Windows Store....
*Windows 8 will be a success with younger people than older people statistically speaking, although many older people will enjoy it. I've been waiting to post this for a month or so now, as we're approaching October's Windows treats. And as that happens, debates will be spurred again. I offer my...
Ballmer: There's no doubt Windows 8 will be a success - Technology on NBCNews.com
Windows 8 RTM Success? in General Support
Okay, So I have been going back and forth about Windows 8 since March when they had the Consumer Preview out. It never really grabbed my attention since it was so buggy and I didn't care since I had Windows 7. But, today I installed the RTM Version from TechNet to give it a crack one last time....
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook