Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Restore partition table?

  1. #11


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Just jhad a google. It is probably Core x64

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Maybe next time be careful installing Ubuntu. LOL. We have all done similar at one time or another.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Maybe next time be careful installing Ubuntu. LOL. We have all done similar at one time or another.
    At this point I've obtained the. .wim from /recovery\recoveryimage\install.wim

    Is there a way to use this 13gb file to reinstall or recover my system?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Yes, it is a bit complicated. I have done it several times. I made a little program or two to save time. You can probably apply the image without much difficulty. Getting it to boot on an efi system is a different thing. You need to make sure windows knows which volume it is on, and you will probably need to repair, or recreate the boot critical files.

    I usually do that kind of thing from booted winpe, with my stuff already included. May be possible from Linux. If you have 7zip or similar in there, you can apply the image. Or you could use wimlib to apply it.

    sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Yes, it is a bit complicated. I have done it several times. I made a little program or two to save time. You can probably apply the image without much difficulty. Getting it to boot on an efi system is a different thing. You need to make sure windows knows which volume it is on, and you will probably need to repair, or recreate the boot critical files.

    I usually do that kind of thing from booted winpe, with my stuff already included. May be possible from Linux. If you have 7zip or similar in there, you can apply the image. Or you could use wimlib to apply it.

    sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
    I see.. That's good news. The bad thing is the Ubuntu system has no Internet access, nor does the windows 7/8 computer I have available to assist. If you could still walk me through it I'd be grateful . Aside for three 8gb usbs, I also have a 2TB Toshiba external drive that has my user files backed up to it with plenty of space to spare.

    I'm able to download most reasonable sized programs onto my phone, and I have 7zip, poweriso, etc on the windows system available for use
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    You can apply the image with e.g. gimagex


    Click image for larger version


    Then fix the drive letter


    Click image for larger version

    Then add boot info. Select Active partition for mbr, or ESP partition for EFI

    Click image for larger version

    You will need to do that from outside windows. Winpe with those things included is one way. Another is to attach your working win7 machine and run them from there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    You can apply the image with e.g. gimagex


    Click image for larger version


    Then fix the drive letter


    Click image for larger version

    Then add boot info. Select Active partition for mbr, or ESP partition for EFI

    Click image for larger version

    You will need to do that from outside windows. Winpe with those things included is one way. Another is to attach your working win7 machine and run them from there.
    Alright.. At this point I've restored esp, boot, Windows, and recovery partitions. When booting in efi mode now, windows is started and I either get a bcd error or a generic bse where windows either reports an error 0xc000021a or the efi, though the latter is rarer. I've not tried the method you just posted yet
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I will post those up for you to use in a minute.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Check your pm
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Sorry. I'm a bit lost as to how to actually implement this method onto my system
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Restore partition table?
Related Threads
Hi all, I had a nice working multiple booting system on my Mac Book Air with the following partition table: Partition 1: Primary - HFS - Bootloader (set as active) Partition 2: Primary - NTFS - Windows 8 Partition 3: Extended partition (rest of my hard disk was this extended partition...
I have Grandma's Asus Laptop with 8.0 OEM, while trying to fix the bootloader, I messed up the partitions with diskpart, etc. (I do not have the recovery on 16 gb stick) The laptop is UEFI w/GPT currently. It has a 500 gb hard drive. 1. Can I just reformat and use the system builder...
Hey, I dual boot windows 8.1 and Kubuntu linux 13.10. I was in my linux partition and I wanted to resize my windows partition. But then, it was taking hours what windows usually does in seconds. I decided to cancel the resize, but the program "KDE partition manager" crashed. I now cannot boot into...
Partition Based Backup/Restore in Performance & Maintenance
I have a question on ability to restore from an image based backup with a Win 8 compatible backup program (Acronis 2014 Premium), and not fully familiar with EFI. System is preinstalled Windows 8 on Asus F75 laptop, so disk is GPT. Here are the partitions: 1. 300 MB EFI System Partition, FAT32...
My tablet is running fine, but I did something (not bright) which could leave me in a lurch later. Here's what I did, and what I'm looking for. Soon after I purchased my Asus VivoTab Smart, I made a USB recovery disk, complete with recovery partition. Then, to save disk space on the tablet, I...
I need some guys, i brought an HP Pavilion G6 and it comes with an GUID partition table (GPT), EFI and Secure Boot. However i need an MBR partition table, so i tried disk managerment but the option "convert to mbr" is greyed out and when i run the "diskpart - list disk - select disk 0 - convert...
I had a dual boot installation of Windows 8 and PCLinuxOS. I needed more space so I got rid of the Linux. Now it won't boot since it is looking for GRUB which is an OS selector to enable Linux to run under windows. I feel so stupid. Please Help me. Thank You, Kent G. Bailey
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook