Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


too many partitions?

  1. #11


    India
    Posts : 43
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64


    Quote Originally Posted by NewUserNow View Post
    which ones do i backup
    None. Format entire hdd, make partitions while installing primary operating system. Choose partition sizes as per your needs. If you do basic stuff 30/40 GB partition is more than enough for 7 and 8/8.1. Make bigger partition if you think you will install softwares that take much more space.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 11
    WIN 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NewUserNow View Post
    which ones do i backup
    None. Format entire hdd, make partitions while installing primary operating system. Choose partition sizes as per your needs. If you do basic stuff 30/40 GB partition is more than enough for 7 and 8/8.1. Make bigger partition if you think you will install softwares that take much more space.
    Thats not helpful, by default this is a win8 computer. It will only reset back to basic I'm trying to install windows 7 onto it.

    As a dual boot. And I read places that say to back up drive partitions. before doing so. I only want to back up the nessicary ones, which do i back up?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    India
    Posts : 43
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64


    Do you have 8 on a DVD?
    Quote Originally Posted by NewUserNow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NewUserNow View Post
    which ones do i backup
    None. Format entire hdd, make partitions while installing primary operating system. Choose partition sizes as per your needs. If you do basic stuff 30/40 GB partition is more than enough for 7 and 8/8.1. Make bigger partition if you think you will install softwares that take much more space.
    Thats not helpful, by default this is a win8 computer. It will only reset back to basic I'm trying to install windows 7 onto it.

    As a dual boot. And I read places that say to back up drive partitions. before doing so. I only want to back up the nessicary ones, which do i back up?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 11
    WIN 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
    Do you have 8 on a DVD?
    Quote Originally Posted by NewUserNow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
    None. Format entire hdd, make partitions while installing primary operating system. Choose partition sizes as per your needs. If you do basic stuff 30/40 GB partition is more than enough for 7 and 8/8.1. Make bigger partition if you think you will install softwares that take much more space.
    Thats not helpful, by default this is a win8 computer. It will only reset back to basic I'm trying to install windows 7 onto it.

    As a dual boot. And I read places that say to back up drive partitions. before doing so. I only want to back up the nessicary ones, which do i back up?
    No they dont send out a disc with it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    India
    Posts : 43
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64


    Then you are asking for trouble. Use what you have. Get used to 8 or whatever you have.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 11
    WIN 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
    Then you are asking for trouble. Use what you have. Get used to 8 or whatever you have.
    Oh I love 8, i want 7 for old times sake and better gameplay preformance. Drivers for 8 makes the game i play run slow and crash, even though they are the latest. And i should handle ultra no problems. And still crash on low settings.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Quote Originally Posted by NewUserNow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NewUserNow View Post
    which ones do i backup
    None. Format entire hdd, make partitions while installing primary operating system. Choose partition sizes as per your needs. If you do basic stuff 30/40 GB partition is more than enough for 7 and 8/8.1. Make bigger partition if you think you will install softwares that take much more space.
    Thats not helpful, by default this is a win8 computer. It will only reset back to basic I'm trying to install windows 7 onto it.

    As a dual boot. And I read places that say to back up drive partitions. before doing so. I only want to back up the nessicary ones, which do i back up?
    You should Image the complete disk, partition back up will not get you back to a booting OS. Set up a partition however larger you need for Win 7 also both need to be 64 Bit or 32 Bit can't mix them. Ajust your C:\ partition to give you room for Win7 partition.
    Install win 7. It works much better if 7 is installed then adding 8 eight has the very best interface for Dual Booting. I don't know what you will end up with hopefully the Win 8 interface None of these other partitions are taking up much space so leave them you may need them later?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 11
    WIN 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NewUserNow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
    None. Format entire hdd, make partitions while installing primary operating system. Choose partition sizes as per your needs. If you do basic stuff 30/40 GB partition is more than enough for 7 and 8/8.1. Make bigger partition if you think you will install softwares that take much more space.
    Thats not helpful, by default this is a win8 computer. It will only reset back to basic I'm trying to install windows 7 onto it.

    As a dual boot. And I read places that say to back up drive partitions. before doing so. I only want to back up the nessicary ones, which do i back up?
    You should Image the complete disk, partition back up will not get you back to a booting OS. Set up a partition however larger you need for Win 7 also both need to be 64 Bit or 32 Bit can't mix them. Ajust your C:\ partition to give you room for Win7 partition.
    Install win 7. It works much better if 7 is installed then adding 8 eight has the very best interface for Dual Booting. I don't know what you will end up with hopefully the Win 8 interface None of these other partitions are taking up much space so leave them you may need them later?
    I wont beable to install windows anyway. I ran into a problem about partitions not being in the proper format GPT? or GTP Something like that.
    And I read that the only way to solve that error, is completly Wiping out the disk Which A idk how to do, and b if i did. I'd probably mess something up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    India
    Posts : 43
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64


    Use what u got mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewUserNow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NewUserNow View Post

    Thats not helpful, by default this is a win8 computer. It will only reset back to basic I'm trying to install windows 7 onto it.

    As a dual boot. And I read places that say to back up drive partitions. before doing so. I only want to back up the nessicary ones, which do i back up?
    You should Image the complete disk, partition back up will not get you back to a booting OS. Set up a partition however larger you need for Win 7 also both need to be 64 Bit or 32 Bit can't mix them. Ajust your C:\ partition to give you room for Win7 partition.
    Install win 7. It works much better if 7 is installed then adding 8 eight has the very best interface for Dual Booting. I don't know what you will end up with hopefully the Win 8 interface None of these other partitions are taking up much space so leave them you may need them later?
    I wont beable to install windows anyway. I ran into a problem about partitions not being in the proper format GPT? or GTP Something like that.
    And I read that the only way to solve that error, is completly Wiping out the disk Which A idk how to do, and b if i did. I'd probably mess something up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 879
    Windows 10


    1.

    Backup the complete hard disk.

    2.

    https://www.eightforums.com/installat...tml#post355517
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
too many partitions?
Related Threads
See attachment: I just bought this used computer. I was preparing to use Macrium to run a disc image and saw all these partitions. What are they for. Are they all necessary? Should I just image the entire HD as is or should I rearange something here? Thanks, Bill
To me, this is very confusing. One partition might have been a Gateway restore but the techs that installed Windows 8 formatted the hard drive, they said, so it couldn't be that one remains, unless they weren't honest about it. So why does this old lady have so many partitions, and what can she get...
I run 3 HDS. 1 SSD, and 2 normal drives. I just clean formatted my SSD and installed Windows 8 on it, which I always put on that drive. However I am seeing a bunch of partitions, 4 recovery partitions. Are these normal? If not, how would I get rid of them? 29555
Why 2 partitions? in General Support
Recently, I bought an ASUS N series notebook with Windows 8. It came with 2 partitions on the hard drive - C:// and Data D://. I assume that C drive is meant for the operating system, programs and system folders. Data D: is presumably meant for all the user's data files including documents,...
hey last week i dual booted win 7 n 8. now i am running out of space in the drive which contains win8.:( win7 is installed on C drive and win8 on D drive. Now can anybody please tell me can i interchange the OS on the drive. I want to install win7 on Drive D and win8 on Drive C. Pleeezzz...!!!!...
I am attempting to create an NTFS partition in the unallocated space on my hard drive to be used as a shared data partition between Ubuntu 12.10 and Windows 8. I have attached a screen shot from Disk Management to show my current hard drive status. My problem is there is a maximum number of...
partitions in Drivers & Hardware
after instaling windows8 RP i can see only system partition which i format through the installation. I install clean copy nor upgrade. I have two diferrent partitions with my private data and I can't see these partitions....please help urgent !!! thanks
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook