Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Momentary freezing/hanging, slow performance, not my fault

  1. #11


    TechnoMage said: I run a script, to shut down over 25 totally redundant Services.
    Then if you look in the task manager, you'll find a lot of junk running that you don't need.....Schedulers, reminders, updaters, and the like. Those must all be shut off, and I normally do that when I'm setting up a new PC.
    Disabling system services has risks that far outweigh the questionable benefits.

    It takes a while, to properly set up a new PC. For instance, you might have a CPU with 6 cores, but by default, Windows will use just one. There is a setting in MSCONFIG > Boot ini > Advanced where you can tell Windows how many cores you have that you want it to use. No-one ever does that!
    This is a well known myth. By default all available cores will be used. I have dual core CPU and have not done this modification. Yet Task Manager and multiple other utilities clearly show that both cores are being used.

    Then there is a registry tweak, that installs the OS's Kernel into ram memory during boot up. With the Kernel running from RAM, instead of the much slower HD, overall system performance gets a real kick in the pants. No-One ever does that either. But I've been doing it for years and it does work.
    By default the system controls how much of the kernel is in RAM exactly the same as for any other code or data. If the code or data is frequently used it will be in RAM. Otherwise it will be left on disk where it belongs. The setting forces all of the relevant code and data to remain in RAM at all time, even if it is never used. This is a crime against performance.

    This setting has been grossly misrepresented on the Internet.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    How is your Virtual Memory set ?

    Click image for larger version

    How is your free space ?

    Click image for larger version

    How many startup programs ?

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    How is your Virtual Memory set ?

    Click image for larger version

    How is your free space ?

    Click image for larger version

    How many startup programs ?

    Click image for larger version
    adjust for best performance: programs

    automatically manage paging file for all size drives: checked

    capacity: 672 GB

    Used space: 545 GB

    Free space: 127 GB

    but the thing is none of this was changed back when my computer was working fast and i had substantial amount of less free space too, i had no problems before i updated to 8.1 but its not like the problems came right after i updated. I didn't have any major program installations or anything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
    Without knowing any of your specifics, I have to respond in the most general of terms. Sorry!

    But generally, when a PC freezes it's because it's being called on to do more than the hardware is capable of.
    A slow hard drive, or lack of sufficient RAM for the OS being run, are two possible causes. Then you have programs that are trying to gobble up RAM and not leaving enough for the other Services, TSR's and programs to run in.

    For instance, Windows installs Many Services that almost NO-One would ever need, but there they are, running merrily in the background. I run a script, to shut down over 25 totally redundant Services.
    Then if you look in the task manager, you'll find a lot of junk running that you don't need.....Schedulers, reminders, updaters, and the like. Those must all be shut off, and I normally do that when I'm setting up a new PC.

    It takes a while, to properly set up a new PC. For instance, you might have a CPU with 6 cores, but by default, Windows will use just one. There is a setting in MSCONFIG > Boot ini > Advanced where you can tell Windows how many cores you have that you want it to use. No-one ever does that!

    Then there is a registry tweak, that installs the OS's Kernel into ram memory during boot up. With the Kernel running from RAM, instead of the much slower HD, overall system performance gets a real kick in the pants. No-One ever does that either. But I've been doing it for years and it does work.

    Some AV scanners can be so demanding on a system, that it can seriously slow it down. Combine that with too much stuff running in the background and you have a real doggy system. I see that even on my own (9 yr old PC) system if I'm doing several scans at the same time. Normally I don't have anything running that's not absolutely, positively, 100% needed to run my PC.

    I hope I've given you some ideas as to where to start troubleshooting your own system.
    If you were close by, I'd just say bring it over here and I'll fix it for you. I've been a computer tech for 34 years.

    good luck!
    TechnoMage
    I have an HP Pavillion G6, amd 10, its not a router problem, trust me, My network adapter is a Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-fi Adapter and thats where the problem is going on connection wise but i feel its more because of the OS more than anything.

    HP Pavilion g6-2288ca Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Support

    its not your regular computer freeze, i've been troubleshooting this for a while, ive had this pc for a year, i took most of my files off it and put them on an external hard drive, i only had one anti virus program and it didnt run random scans. it like freezes then snaps back into action full effect for like 1 minutes then back to the bs. i ruled out a lot of stuff after extensive research before i wrote this message and or joined this forum

    I dont see why i have to change so much to get it to run properly instead of finding a way to revert back to my original settings, it was running perfectly before. its not even a freezing per say its like my trackpad stops working for a little while despite being fully functional and even the simplest forms media take a long time to load before they start playing
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    sometimes it runs normal (it usually doesnt) and most times it doesnt, today its running normal for some reason after i restarted it but i still want to get to the bottom of this
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    You might want to do some cleanup:
    1. There is a folder under: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download where all Windows updates files were downloaded and installed. If you open this folder, you'll see a lot of files and folders.Make sure that Windows Updates is not running then go ahead and delete all the files/folders.
    2. Look under: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows
      There is a file: Windows.edb which is the search index database for Windows Search feature, if this file is too big, sometimes it grows to many GB's in size then it can bring your Windows to its knee. Open Services and disable Windows Search service, delete it then re-enable the Windows Search Service to let Windows rebuild the Search Index.
    3. Download: TFC Temporary file removal tool and right click to run as Admin. This program will clean up all the temp files. During execution, it also kills some of the processes in order to clean up the temp files occupied by those processes. When finished, just sign out then sign back in.
    4. Download: Drive Tools for Windows Cleanup and right click and run as Admin to remove all the orphan devices.
    5. Open the elevated command prompt and run: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    6. Next, run: sfc /scannow =======> if there's corupted system files, you need to run multiple times
    7. If everything is good so far: Win+X->System-> System Protection->Configure->Delete->OK
    8. click Create to Re-create a Restore Point to reflect your current system state
    9. Run: chkntfs /T:10 then run: chkdsk /r /f C: =====> Required reboot, and may take a while to complete
    10. Defrag/Optimize your C: drive.


    Hope this helps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    You might want to do some cleanup:
    1. There is a folder under: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download where all Windows updates files were downloaded and installed. If you open this folder, you'll see a lot of files and folders.Make sure that Windows Updates is not running then go ahead and delete all the files/folders.
    2. Look under: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows
      There is a file: Windows.edb which is the search index database for Windows Search feature, if this file is too big, sometimes it grows to many GB's in size then it can bring your Windows to its knee. Open Services and disable Windows Search service, delete it then re-enable the Windows Search Service to let Windows rebuild the Search Index.
    3. Download: TFC Temporary file removal tool and right click to run as Admin. This program will clean up all the temp files. During execution, it also kills some of the processes in order to clean up the temp files occupied by those processes. When finished, just sign out then sign back in.
    4. Download: Drive Tools for Windows Cleanup and right click and run as Admin to remove all the orphan devices.
    5. Open the elevated command prompt and run: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    6. Next, run: sfc /scannow =======> if there's corupted system files, you need to run multiple times
    7. If everything is good so far: Win+X->System-> System Protection->Configure->Delete->OK
    8. click Create to Re-create a Restore Point to reflect your current system state
    9. Run: chkntfs /T:10 then run: chkdsk /r /f C: =====> Required reboot, and may take a while to complete
    10. Defrag/Optimize your C: drive.


    Hope this helps.
    after doing 1-4 my computer got back to running like shit again, but i got positive results from the command prompt after running sfc/ scannow (which i have run before) despite reverting back to not running well.

    im stuck at 9 though, i ran chkntfs /T:10 and nothing happened, then i ran chkdsk /r /f C: and again nothing happened. i tried running these both through command prompt and the run function
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    chkntfs /T:10 will set the countdown time to 10 second, so that when the system reboot to run chkdsk will give you 10 second if you decide to abort chkdsk. The default was set to 1 sec., not enough time to hit <ESC> to abort. That's all it does. Type chkntfs /T will tell you the countdown is set to 10 sec.

    What do you mean that chkdsk /r /f C: does not do anything ? It should prompt you that it will run on next restart, answer Y then restart the PC. see screen shot:

    Click image for larger version

    EDIT: One more thing I forgot to mention, download CCleaner to clean up the registry.

    If still running slow: Open the taskbar->Startup, right click on each item and disable everything then restart the PC. Run the PC for a while to see if it improves then start enable one by one, restart the PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    chkntfs /T:10 will set the countdown time to 10 second, so that when the system reboot to run chkdsk will give you 10 second if you decide to abort chkdsk. The default was set to 1 sec., not enough time to hit <ESC> to abort. That's all it does. Type chkntfs /T will tell you the countdown is set to 10 sec.

    What do you mean that chkdsk /r /f C: does not do anything ? It should prompt you that it will run on next restart, answer Y then restart the PC. see screen shot:

    Click image for larger version

    EDIT: One more thing I forgot to mention, download CCleaner to clean up the registry.

    If still running slow: Open the taskbar->Startup, right click on each item and disable everything then restart the PC. Run the PC for a while to see if it improves then start enable one by one, restart the PC.
    ok i got chkdsk to work in the prompt, and its not the fact my pc is slow for the most part , every piece of media takes so long to execute. i have to wait like 10 minutes before a video on youtube plays or the audio for a video in vlc player to play or a song to play on wmp or itunes. i think it has something to do with a media server of some sort idk, and i just get those momentary mouse freezes while the mouse can still click things as long as its over it when it freezes

    even more to the mouse issue this is just on my trackpad, if i use a mouse it can move the cursor just not my trackpad and theres nothing individually wrong with my trackpad. and the connection on my wi fi adapter drops and its not my connection because i can run another older laptop with windows 7 on it side by side and i get 4-5 bars every time, here i just get 3 or 2
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    We've already know there is something wrong with your Laptop and causing it hosed up and we try to isolate the problem. What I need to know is did you do what I suggested. Did you let chkdsk run to the end ? Did you turn off everything in startup ?
    you need to tell us that you have done with our suggestion so we have something to move on to the next step. Once the problem is found then everything should run normally.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Momentary freezing/hanging, slow performance, not my fault
Related Threads
Performance verrry slow, jerky in Performance & Maintenance
Any ideas of what I can look into on my computer to see what's slowing it down so badly? I haven't installed any new programs in quite some time. I have 8.1. I've been trying to look at services and startup to see if there is something strange but can't find anything. One weird thing I noticed...
My system specs are the same as under my profile. Running a single R9-290 on Win 8.1 Pro 64bit. The PC completely hangs up when installing the new 14.9/14.7 beta drivers. It extracts fine, checks system requirements, starts installation, reaches "Installing AMD Display Drivers" and flickers...
hey, I've had my laptop for about 2 months now and I keep having this random freezing problem where the laptop won't function at all, but the last sound will loop (a milisecond loop so it sounds like a scream... if there is no sound nothing will loop). i've been going into the event viewer and have...
So sometimes when I try to click the bottom-left start icon, it suddenly does not work. I hover over it but it doesn't change color nor work at all, but after i restart explorer.exe from task manager it starts working again. This happens randomly, and can happen again in a short while after...
Bsod error and slow pc performance. in Performance & Maintenance
BSOD Error on Windows 7. Hello Everyone! I have Windows 7 on my PC with the following configuration : 1. 1 GB DDR1 RAM. 2. Intel Mercury Motherboard. 3. 500 GB HDD. I have formatted my PC many time but after sometime I got the BSOD error :(. Also if I am working on my PC and I locked it...
I have noticed on one of my Windows 8 Pro computers that it has longer response time when accessing Internet. It has worked flawlessly for a month. The other PCs are not affected so it has nothing to do with my Router (DIR655) It seems like it takes time to do a DNS-lookup and I have tried...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook