Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


New Dell Laptop Losing Memory/System Cache on Shutdown

  1. #1


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8

    New Dell Laptop Losing Memory/System Cache on Shutdown


    Hi,
    I've just set up a new Dell laptop for my father in law and it seems to be losing its system cache (I think that's what it is anyway). Normally when I use a computer for the first time new software takes a while to boot up, but then after this the software boots up much more quickly.

    This happens with this new laptop, except when you shut it down. Every time its shut down the programs (such as word, iTunes, chrome) etc take ages to start up again. However, if I close the program and restart it it opens up instantly, until I shut the computer down again. (it does not lose memory if I just close the lid)

    I assume this is not normal behaviour (I use Mac, but have used Windows 7 in the past), and so is there something I can do to fix it?

    Cheers

    PS It's a Dell Inspiron 15 with a 4th gen 1.7GHz 3M Cache i3 processor with 6GB RAM
    Last edited by snerkler; 17 May 2014 at 11:34.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    This happens with this new laptop, except when you shut it down. Every time its shut down the programs (such as word, iTunes, chrome) etc take ages to start up again. However, if I close the program and restart it it opens up instantly, until I shut the computer down again. (it does not lose memory if I just close the lid)
    When you first start an application the computer must read all of it's code and data from disk. That is slow. When you shut down the application all of it's code remains in RAM and the system will try to keep it there for as long as possible. This is the system cache. When you later run the application it will start much faster. But RAM is volatile storage so when you power down all of it's contents is lost and the system cache disappears. That is the way RAM works.

    Does that explain your issue?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
    This happens with this new laptop, except when you shut it down. Every time its shut down the programs (such as word, iTunes, chrome) etc take ages to start up again. However, if I close the program and restart it it opens up instantly, until I shut the computer down again. (it does not lose memory if I just close the lid)
    When you first start an application the computer must read all of it's code and data from disk. That is slow. When you shut down the application all of it's code remains in RAM and the system will try to keep it there for as long as possible. This is the system cache. When you later run the application it will start much faster. But RAM is volatile storage so when you power down all of it's contents is lost and the system cache disappears. That is the way RAM works.

    Does that explain your issue?
    Yes and no to be honest as I've never noticed this before with any of my other computers in the past, or any other device such as iphone or ipad. Take word for example, the first time it ever opens on a system it's slow, I would expect that. But after this I would expect it to open much quicker, whether the computer's been shut down or not. I don't recall this happening with my old Dell running windows 7. I'll have to dig it out and see. It's not fair comparing it to my Mac as this has a SSD.

    Maybe it's because my old Dell was relatively slow compared to current laptops and programs such as word always took a few seconds to load up, so the 'normal' loading time and the loading time from 'cold boot' weren't too disimilar. With this new laptop, once it's up and running and you've opened the program once it then opens up immediately, and so the delay after starting from cold boot is much more noticeable? Would you expect programs like word to take 3 or 4 seconds to open after cold boot, and then open up instantly after this then? Google chrome seems to be the slowest to load after cold boot, taking nearly 10s and showing the spinning wheel whilst doing so. After that it opens up instantly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    That machine will always run slow with Windows 8. If it ran fine with 7 on it. I would reload Windows 7 back on the machine. Also the i3 is a pretty slow CPU, compared to a i5.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Would you expect programs like word to take 3 or 4 seconds to open after cold boot, and then open up instantly after this then?
    YES

    Over the years I have seen this countless times with different operating systems. All the way from Windows 95 to Windows 8.1 and just about everything in between. The system cache was designed to make this possible. But after a power down the system cache is gone and cannot help you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    That machine will always run slow with Windows 8. If it ran fine with 7 on it. I would reload Windows 7 back on the machine. Also the i3 is a pretty slow CPU, compared to a i5.
    Thanks. I think you've misunderstood, Windows 7 was on my old machine. Windows 8 is on my father in law's new machine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
    Would you expect programs like word to take 3 or 4 seconds to open after cold boot, and then open up instantly after this then?
    YES

    Over the years I have seen this countless times with different operating systems. All the way from Windows 95 to Windows 8.1 and just about everything in between. The system cache was designed to make this possible. But after a power down the system cache is gone and cannot help you.
    Thanks, I guess it's like I thought then, my old laptop with win 7 on must not have had the same level of difference and so I've not noticed it before.

    Does Mac work differently then, or is it purely down to the SSD that programs will always open instantly?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    That machine will always run slow with Windows 8. If it ran fine with 7 on it. I would reload Windows 7 back on the machine. Also the i3 is a pretty slow CPU, compared to a i5.
    Thanks. I think you've misunderstood, Windows 7 was on my old machine. Windows 8 is on my father in law's new machine.
    Those systems came with Vista pre-installed. They never were intended to be power horse's. Personally I would place 7 on it and forget about running 8. The unit will never be as fast as a i5 with Windows 8 or 7 on it.

    It was built as a budget machine with very minimal spec's. You are never going to see it fly out of the gate, no matter how much you attempt to tweak the OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
    Would you expect programs like word to take 3 or 4 seconds to open after cold boot, and then open up instantly after this then?
    YES

    Over the years I have seen this countless times with different operating systems. All the way from Windows 95 to Windows 8.1 and just about everything in between. The system cache was designed to make this possible. But after a power down the system cache is gone and cannot help you.
    Thanks, I guess it's like I thought then, my old laptop with win 7 on must not have had the same level of difference and so I've not noticed it before.

    Does Mac work differently then, or is it purely down to the SSD that programs will always open instantly?
    Yes Mac OS works differently. It is built on a BSD kernel. If OS-10.x.x is running on a newer unit. It will always blow away that older Dell.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    That machine will always run slow with Windows 8. If it ran fine with 7 on it. I would reload Windows 7 back on the machine. Also the i3 is a pretty slow CPU, compared to a i5.
    Thanks. I think you've misunderstood, Windows 7 was on my old machine. Windows 8 is on my father in law's new machine.
    Those systems came with Vista pre-installed. They never were intended to be power horse's. Personally I would place 7 on it and forget about running 8. The unit will never be as fast as a i5 with Windows 8 or 7 on it.

    It was built as a budget machine with very minimal spec's. You are never going to see it fly out of the gate, no matter how much you attempt to tweak the OS.
    I'm confused why you say it came with vista? It's a new machine shipped brand new from Dell with Windows 8.???

    Once the system is up and running it's plenty fast, just that initial launch of programs. Granted I don't know what it would be like with programs like Photoshop or a Final Cut equivalent, but my father in law only uses it for internet and syncing iphone/iPad.

    Not that I'm thinking of doing it but I assume adding a SSD would help speed up program start up?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
New Dell Laptop Losing Memory/System Cache on Shutdown
Related Threads
Hello all. New member here. I have had an issue with my PC since I "upgraded" to windows 8.1 earlier this year that is driving me batty. Unfortunately, I upgraded the hardware (motherboard, CPU, and RAM) at the same time, so I can't rule out a hardware issue completely. The issue stuck around...
RAM Increased memory use and cache in Performance & Maintenance
Hello friends, I am having problems with my operating system recently installed windows 8.1 pro, but the ram is raised without stopping .. no matter whether or not running processes, even if I have the machine without even the memory activity continues .. I have 14GB of DDR3 1333Mhz Ram I...
My new laptop will randomly disconnect from the internet but still remain connected to my wireless network. I've unchecked the box allowing the wireless card to be powered down, I've done ipconfig release and renew, and I've checked my drivers but none of it has fixed the issue.
When i turn on my PC after a shutdown it always runs the Pre assessment test and it is giving me this error message Battery has reached ends of it usable life and it notifies me to replace the battery, so i have removed battery and just running laptop with AC Power. Although i am getting...
Solved C: drive losing memory in Drivers & Hardware
Hi all, it's my first time here and I have a question about my C drive. I started noticing about a week ago that I was slowly losing memory in my C drive without me using it. In other words, it is disappearing. I have seen this before on several windows 7 computers, but I don't know how to...
Upgrading RAM and CACHE memory in General Support
Hello, my PC is a 6yo HP Pavillion 32bit with the following main specs: OS: Win 8 Processor: 2,40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad 64 kilobyte primary memory cache 4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache Ram: 2 Gb Hd: 500 Gb - traditional -
Is there a way to swap these values? default windows 8 drivers has 256 shared system memory but 0 dedicated video memory but after installing sis mirage 3+ drivers dedicated video memory has gone up to 256mb and shared system memory has gone low to 64mb. Editing sis drivers maybe? but how?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook