Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


command line to activate focus on application on startup?

  1. #1


    Posts : 22
    Win 8 Pro x64

    command line to activate focus on application on startup?


    i have a variety of apps in the startup folder which is set to launch on startup. eventually, i'd like windows to focus on Chrome (specifically on the address bar) so that i can start using it right away.

    i remember there's a command which could be added to the shortcut properties but can't recall. can anyone help please?

    thanks!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by seven8 View Post
    i have a variety of apps in the startup folder which is set to launch on startup. eventually, i'd like windows to focus on Chrome (specifically on the address bar) so that i can start using it right away.

    i remember there's a command which could be added to the shortcut properties but can't recall. can anyone help please?

    thanks!
    If I understand correctly and remember correctly, you should be able to right click on the Chrome Tile, choose 'Open File Location', right click that and choose copy, then paste that in the 'Startup' Folder.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 22
    Win 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seven8 View Post
    i have a variety of apps in the startup folder which is set to launch on startup. eventually, i'd like windows to focus on Chrome (specifically on the address bar) so that i can start using it right away.

    i remember there's a command which could be added to the shortcut properties but can't recall. can anyone help please?

    thanks!
    If I understand correctly and remember correctly, you should be able to right click on the Chrome Tile, choose 'Open File Location', right click that and choose copy, then paste that in the 'Startup' Folder.
    thanks, but that wasn't my question.

    my question wasn't about having Chrome boot on startup, it was about how to activate focus to Chrome (with 5-6 apps opening on startup at the same time) when everything is loaded and idle.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Metro is not designed to do that. The main focus for Microsoft is still the desktop. I am sure there is info at technet.microsoft.com that may help lead you towards what you want to do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 22
    Win 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Metro is not designed to do that. The main focus for Microsoft is still the desktop. I am sure there is info at technet.microsoft.com that may help lead you towards what you want to do.
    again, that wasn't my question. i'm on win8.1 x64 using start8 (which means i launch directly to the desktop and i don't use Metro). this question is about the desktop.

    Hope it clarifies.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    There is an option under the View tab in Folder Options for "Restore previous folder windows at logon". Leave everything open the way you want it, check that option, and reboot. Then see if it all goes back to what you want when you log back in again. You may have to remove your shortcuts from the startup folder so everything doesn't launch twice. If it works its more of a work around than a solution but it may be better than nothing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    What do you mean by
    activate focus to Chrome
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Sunnyvale, CA USA
    Posts : 283
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64-bit)


    If you mean to make the current window (Chrome in this case) automatically get the mouse focus, go to the Mouse Control Panel->Pointer Options->Snap To.

    I don't like it when things grab the focus automatically. usually these are called 'Modal Dialog Boxes'.

    If you think there is a command line switch on Chrome that does this, you can look through the (literally) hundreds of options for one:

    List of Chromium Command Line Switches « Peter Beverloo


    If that's not what you mean be more specific.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Could this have anything to do with what you mean?

    Attachment 43459
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    No that wouldn't. The OP could just go into the registry and set a registry setting for Chrome in the Run section for User. It will never make it that Chrome is the top window. It is beginning to sound to me that the OP wants to setup a Kiosk setup.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
command line to activate focus on application on startup?
Related Threads
Hello all, After taking some time to learn about CyberGhost, I finally took the plunge last year & bought a subscription. I'm happy with the service but, recently I've decided to use it in a more productive fashion. I'd like to set scripts for command line functionality. According to...
Hi! My apologies if this is the wrong forum to post in, but it seemed like the best fit. So I'm trying to get a bat file together with power settings that I want to apply. But I'm running into an issue. For some reason, the power button and lid close actions wont change. Here is the relevant...
DOS Command Line in General Support
Hi there- Just reorganising my Library and for reasons I won't bore you with, need to do some mass amendments to Filenames to get rid of extraneous Info as I'm tight on Space. So, for instance, I have a Folder (DIRectory) with one hundred PDF, Mobi, RAR, ZIP, CBR and CBZ files in it all with...
Command Line Reference for Windows 8 and 8.1 A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands at the command prompt, you can perform tasks on your computer without using the Windows graphical interface. This tutorial will...
New Command Line YouTube Player And Downloader With Local Playlists Support: mps-youtube ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
Hello, I Have Installed a Web App That Support IE7 Only, Means It display Bad on IE8,9,10. So I would like to know if There is a Command Line to Attach it to the IE Shortcut that Open the Web App in IE7 Computability mode, I'm Desperate to know a solution. Note: I'm Using Windows8 Pro with IE...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook