Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


LAN not detecting Ethernet cords. Windows 8 restore+Video.

  1. #1


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8

    LAN not detecting Ethernet cords. Windows 8 restore+Video.


    Hello, I'm having some problems with my PC. Here is the model of my PC "Asus Desktop: M51AC".
    Desktops - M51AC

    So basically what's going on is I did a fresh re install of my operating system Windows 8 which came with the PC installed. Everything went fine, everything was working! I did some updates and then it fails, there was a bunch including 51 updates and Windows 8.1 so it was downloading. At the installation part it shows a error. I restarted my PC and I noticed I wasn't connected to the internet. I updated all my drivers, and when it crashed it showed a yellow mark by these devices.

    realtek pcie gbe family controller
    sm bus controller
    sm bus

    Those were the only ones with a yellow mark by it. I fixed it by installing the latest drivers, the error code was error code 10 could not start, it was for all of these devices. I installed the latest drivers now it doesn't show the errors but yet it still does not work, and my PC doesn't detect the Ethernet cable from my router anymore. I searched this on every forum, and used google lol, for about 3-4 hours now over a update failing. I re-installed my OS again and it still does not work. I think it blew a fuse or something and it's not detecting it, I dont honestly know. I went in command prompt and pinged 127.0.0.1 and received 4 packets somehow which is odd.

    Here is a video also I recorded:


    Thank-you if someone call help me its been a struggle over an update failing! Thanks!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Did you try "Troubleshoot problems" from right click menu on the network icon by the clock on taskbar. ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Did you try "Troubleshoot problems" from right click menu on the network icon by the clock on taskbar. ?
    Yeah, and it says
    "a network cable is not plugged in or may be broken"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by NOH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Did you try "Troubleshoot problems" from right click menu on the network icon by the clock on taskbar. ?
    Yeah, and it says
    "a network cable is not plugged in or may be broken"
    So, did you try changing cables ? Maybe contacts are bad.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Did you try "Troubleshoot problems" from right click menu on the network icon by the clock on taskbar. ?
    Yeah, and it says
    "a network cable is not plugged in or may be broken"
    So, did you try changing cables ? Maybe contacts are bad.
    Yep, I tried 4 different cables, and my backup router seen in the video. Still doesn't work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Must be something wrong with the controller than if you are sure all other components are OK. Most probably contacts. LAN cards are inexpensive and if you have space you can put one in easy enough. I have 3 in my computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Must be something wrong with the controller than if you are sure all other components are OK. Most probably contacts. LAN cards are inexpensive and if you have space you can put one in easy enough. I have 3 in my computer.
    Could you recommend me one that I can order?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by NOH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Must be something wrong with the controller than if you are sure all other components are OK. Most probably contacts. LAN cards are inexpensive and if you have space you can put one in easy enough. I have 3 in my computer.
    Could you recommend me one that I can order?
    What's your location ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Must be something wrong with the controller than if you are sure all other components are OK. Most probably contacts. LAN cards are inexpensive and if you have space you can put one in easy enough. I have 3 in my computer.
    Could you recommend me one that I can order?
    What's your location ?
    U.S, North America.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    It should be easy for you than. here's couple that should work just fine :
    Amazon.com: TP-LINK TG-3269 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PCI Network Adapter/Card: Electronics if you have an empty PCI slot, or :
    Amazon.com: TP-LINK TG-3468 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter: Electronics for PCI express slot. If it is just for internet, you don't need anything fancy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
LAN not detecting Ethernet cords. Windows 8 restore+Video.
Related Threads
I recently purchased a new Dell XPS laptop with SSD. The first thing I did after receiving it was to split the C drive into two using Easeus Partition Manager. Probably due to this, neither Windows nor the Dell Backup & Recovery software detect the recovery partition any more. When I launch...
So I've been using a monitor via DisplayPort through the past week with no issues. Suddenly today, I turn on my laptop and the port is no longer detecting any monitor at all. I'm willing to troubleshoot this using any links or advice provided, please help. I've tried restarting my computer,...
Lenovo recalls more than 500,000 power cords due to spark, burn risk Lenovo recalls more than 500,000 power cords due to spark, burn risk | PCWorld
Windows 8.1 on my main tower isn't detecting my second monitor. I have tested the monitor with 8.1 laptop and it works.
So I'm rolling along the internet and I start noticing that the wifi bars in the lower corner have gone down to 4. My internet is running slower and when I log on and play online games, the local server which gave me a 50 ping is now jumped up to about 300-800 easily... So I run trouble shooter...
Good day, I just purchased a Compro VideoMate M1F TV Tuner card, but I cant get it to work with Media Centre in Windows 8. When wanting to "Setup TV Signal", I get an error stating: "TV Tuner not found". The software that came with the card works, the remote (Media Centre Remote) and...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook