Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to "merge" 2 partitions, Disk 0 & Disk 1, One HDD

  1. #1


    Posts : 7
    Win 8

    How to "merge" 2 partitions, Disk 0 & Disk 1, One HDD


    Hello, so a few years ago i bought this pc and as Always i make 2 partitions one for backup and the other for windows and all the other stuff.

    So today i wanted to reinstall windows because the Disk 0 partition fitness was 0% and randomly freezing. as my other half was like 70-80% fitness (rated by Speedfan). But this never happened to me, usually Partition C and D Always were on the same "disk #" and now they are separated and i just cant get them back.

    now i want to put them back together and make one whole HDD, any way to get them back to eachother?

    with this ill add some pictures, since a picture says more than 1000 words. if someone could help i would be verry happy. greets.
    Click image for larger versionClick image for larger version
    And Edit, maybe usefull. i've noticed my partitions turned into 2 different "bus numbers"
    Bus number 0 and bus number 1

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 2,130
    Windows 8.0 x64


    I don't get why the system is MBR instead of GPT. Esp. since it looks like you have a HD larger than 2 TB. How did W8 get on the machine originally?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 7
    Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    I don't get why the system is MBR instead of GPT. Esp. since it looks like you have a HD larger than 2 TB. How did W8 get on the machine originally?

    Well the pc was windows 7, when win8 came out i immediatly upgraded. After a year or so i came back to win 7 because pc was just freezing alot. And just now ive made a new fresh install of win8 again and wanted the full hd to use as one partition and not separated. And yes my HD is 3TB
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    India
    Posts : 172
    Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1


    That's quite simple, just right click your windows drive ( ie - C: (1863.01 GB) and choose expand and then just look at the amount of unallocated space (1347.09 GB) u have and then just type in that amount when asked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forums.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 7
    Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by sri2000 View Post
    That's quite simple, just right click your windows drive ( ie - C: (1863.01 GB) and choose expand and then just look at the amount of unallocated space (1347.09 GB) u have and then just type in that amount when asked.
    No its not that simple. If it was i wouldnt post this thread. I already tried such things and also tried some 3th party partition software but with the expand/merge thing was just greyed out for that while those smaller. Like recovery could expand.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Looking at your disk management screen, you have two physical hard drives. Disk 0 and disk 1 Drive C:\ Disk 1 has 99% free space. I'm guessing Windows is installed to E which has 60% free space. The unallocated must have been D. The only way I know to make your two drives look like one drive is to go dynamic. I wouldn't go that way myself. I'd install Windows to Disk 0 and use disk 1 for Data. The other way to do it on the one drive is to repartition Disk 0 into two separate partitions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by xHamsterHQ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sri2000 View Post
    That's quite simple, just right click your windows drive ( ie - C: (1863.01 GB) and choose expand and then just look at the amount of unallocated space (1347.09 GB) u have and then just type in that amount when asked.
    No its not that simple. If it was i wouldnt post this thread. I already tried such things and also tried some 3th party partition software but with the expand/merge thing was just greyed out for that while those smaller. Like recovery could expand.
    Disk management will only let you expand a partition into unallocated space that is adjacent to the partition you want to expand. The free space would have to be at the end (to the right) of the partition your expanding. If its before that partition (to the left) or separated by another partition it won't let you expand into it. You also can't merge partitions that are on two different drives.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 7
    Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Looking at your disk management screen, you have two physical hard drives. Disk 0 and disk 1 Drive C:\ Disk 1 has 99% free space. I'm guessing Windows is installed to E which has 60% free space. The unallocated must have been D. The only way I know to make your two drives look like one drive is to go dynamic. I wouldn't go that way myself. I'd install Windows to Disk 0 and use disk 1 for Data. The other way to do it on the one drive is to repartition Disk 0 into two separate partitions.
    My E drive has not Windows installed, its clearly C drive and its so empty because its a fresh install. My E drive is a special partition made by the manufactors of this pc with all the drives instead of giving a CD i think.
    and i only have one HD not 2. its a 3TB drive ive been splitting a long time ago. never had problems with it but then it made the pc think it has 2 HD's. its a very weird thing..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 2,130
    Windows 8.0 x64


    I've never had a HD larger than 1 TB myself. But I have noticed drives > 2 TB on the forums can get weird issues. There are probably many here using HD > 2 TB without issues. But I don't think I would set up an MBR Windows system on one. Maybe GPT is more solid.

    Granted, I'm just speculating.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by xHamsterHQ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Looking at your disk management screen, you have two physical hard drives. Disk 0 and disk 1 Drive C:\ Disk 1 has 99% free space. I'm guessing Windows is installed to E which has 60% free space. The unallocated must have been D. The only way I know to make your two drives look like one drive is to go dynamic. I wouldn't go that way myself. I'd install Windows to Disk 0 and use disk 1 for Data. The other way to do it on the one drive is to repartition Disk 0 into two separate partitions.
    My E drive has not Windows installed, its clearly C drive and its so empty because its a fresh install. My E drive is a special partition made by the manufactors of this pc with all the drives instead of giving a CD i think.
    and i only have one HD not 2. its a 3TB drive ive been splitting a long time ago. never had problems with it but then it made the pc think it has 2 HD's. its a very weird thing..
    As far as I know If it was just one drive there would only be a Drive 0 in disk management, split or not. Drive 0 and Drive 1 in disk management denote physical disk drives. Both of your screen shots show two hard drives. What does the BIOS show?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How to "merge" 2 partitions, Disk 0 & Disk 1, One HDD
Related Threads
Look at this screenshot and tell me how to get one partition instead F and H. 53842 Easeus needs bigger drive. to backup to. I think the one large one is unallocated. shown as disk 8. The way windows sees my external usb drive.
How to Add or Remove "Turn off hard disk after" in Power Options in Windows The "Turn off hard disk after" power option setting lets users set to have hard disks power down after a specified time of inactivity is detected. When you set to turn off hard disks after idle, there will be a...
"Check Backup Disk Space" Error Windows 8.1 in Performance & Maintenance
Hello. I am having trouble with a message in Action Center in Windows 8.1. It is saying "Check Backup Disk Space" and I cannot hide the message. I had Windows 7 File Recovery setup with Windows 8.1, but now after the upgrade, the message is "stuck." Can this be fixed? These two links explain it...
Hi there sometimes when testing new systems I have to install Office 2010 from scratch (I have a VL enterprise version so activation isn't an issue). However Windows update then every time prompts for about 1.5GB of updates and fixed. Does anybody know how to "slipstream" these into my...
Hi there, I am facing a problem with the backup program of Windows 8. My computer (Asus with 250SSD) disk is new and I just installed my programs. Now I want to create a System Image using Windows. The image should be around 50go. Everything works fine until I get a message error saying my...
Hey all, I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and I'm loving it, EXCEPT for this one problem I'm having. Immediately after I upgraded, my external hard drive (WD Ext HDD 1021 3TB) was missing from "My Computer." I never had any problems with this HDD before I upgraded, and the...
What's a quick and easy way to remove windows.old since Disk Cleanup seems to be missing the option to do so in Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Edit: I gave myself permissions via CMD which failed(Every file access denied, even in an admin CMD), so I tried one last time to run a Disk Cleanup and...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook