Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


No Context Menu in Modern UI

  1. #21


    Posts : 11
    8.1 Pro


    All I know is I'm out 85.00 USD and back on W7 because of it. I'm not happy about it either, but nothing I can do.... just hope and pray eBay feels sorry for me. ( prob will not ) But, I read somewhere can't find it right now that MS will be sell it for 59.00 USD soon because like 95% of people upgrading from W95 when to W7 and not 8.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Your not alone, a lot of people got stung buying keys on e-bay. People selling their TechNet keys most likely. Microsoft has killed TechNet, I wonder why?
    Alpha, when I first joined Technet, we got, if I remember correctly, 10 keys for each product, about 8 of which I never used. Neither was I ever tempted to sell or give away any of my keys. Then the last couple or three years, we only got 2 keys per product, which still proved sufficient for my test machines. The vast majority of Technet subscribers obeyed the rules and probably less than 1% didn't; thus, not likely that Technet was discontinued because of people selling Technet product keys.

    When I was awarded my first MVP, we received MSDN subscriptions, which are far better and much more expensive than any Technet subscription. What's ironic is that only Technet was discontinued; MSDN, as far as I know, is still active and which I can no longer afford, since I'm retired.

    I realize that folks have been caught selling keys to product from their Technet subscriptions; however, folks have also been caught selling keys to product from their MSDN subscriptions. So, with that comparison made, it's more likely that Technet was discontinued because it has proven much less profitable to Microsoft than MSDN.

    As a former Technet subscriber who has been scrupulously honest, your statement stings, Alpha. I'm sure you didn't mean to indict Technet subscribers as such, but I just couldn't let your statement stand without defending myself and all the other honest Technet subscribers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Your not alone, a lot of people got stung buying keys on e-bay. People selling their TechNet keys most likely. Microsoft has killed TechNet, I wonder why?
    Alpha, when I first joined Technet, we got, if I remember correctly, 10 keys for each product, about 8 of which I never used. Neither was I ever tempted to sell or give away any of my keys. Then the last couple or three years, we only got 2 keys per product, which still proved sufficient for my test machines. The vast majority of Technet subscribers obeyed the rules and probably less than 1% didn't; thus, not likely that Technet was discontinued because of people selling Technet product keys.

    When I was awarded my first MVP, we received MSDN subscriptions, which are far better and much more expensive than any Technet subscription. What's ironic is that only Technet was discontinued; MSDN, as far as I know, is still active and which I can no longer afford, since I'm retired.

    I realize that folks have been caught selling keys to product from their Technet subscriptions; however, folks have also been caught selling keys to product from their MSDN subscriptions. So, with that comparison made, it's more likely that Technet was discontinued because it has proven much less profitable to Microsoft than MSDN.

    As a former Technet subscriber who has been scrupulously honest, your statement stings, Alpha. I'm sure you didn't mean to indict Technet subscribers as such, but I just couldn't let your statement stand without defending myself and all the other honest Technet subscribers.
    No, I didn't mean to imply that all TechNet subscribers are dishonest, I am one myself. But there will always be some that think that the rules do not apply to them. As you say TechNet is inexpensive compared to MSDN. It would appear that some bought a subscription with the sole purpose to sell the keys and make some money. Cut and run. MSDN is to expensive to be bought for that type of deal. Microsoft reduced the keys available on TechNet, if I was to guess why, people selling them comes to mind. Limiting the keys would make you think twice about selling them. I'm sure there are a number of reasons why TechNet was discontinued but stuff like keys being sold on e-bay has to factor into it. Sorry if I offended anybody. I honestly didn't mean to.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by orless View Post
    Well I don't have high hopes, because he's no longer a reg user on eBay and it's been 6 months. I can't afford to buy it again right now. But W7 work good so I'll make it. Just live and learn I guess.
    it takes a bit of time ,but I once bought 2 computers just over 400.00 cdn,paid with paypal ,and later the next day the seller was gone ,it took over a month because of waiting time for my claim but I got my money back ,because of paypal insurance
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orless View Post
    Well I don't have high hopes, because he's no longer a reg user on eBay and it's been 6 months. I can't afford to buy it again right now. But W7 work good so I'll make it. Just live and learn I guess.
    it takes a bit of time ,but I once bought 2 computers just over 400.00 cdn,paid with paypal ,and later the next day the seller was gone ,it took over a month because of waiting time for my claim but I got my money back ,because of paypal insurance

    Wow, Caper! I'm glad you got your money back; that's just too much to lose. Any amount to a dishonest ebay seller is too much!

    Maybe Orless will be as lucky as you were.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orless View Post
    Well I don't have high hopes, because he's no longer a reg user on eBay and it's been 6 months. I can't afford to buy it again right now. But W7 work good so I'll make it. Just live and learn I guess.
    it takes a bit of time ,but I once bought 2 computers just over 400.00 cdn,paid with paypal ,and later the next day the seller was gone ,it took over a month because of waiting time for my claim but I got my money back ,because of paypal insurance

    Wow, Caper! I'm glad you got your money back; that's just too much to lose. Any amount to a dishonest ebay seller is too much!

    Maybe Orless will be as lucky as you were.
    yes I was lucky ,and became a wiser, less frequent byer after that
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 11
    8.1 Pro


    I used eBay for a lot things, this only time I haven't gotten what I paid for. But I should know better to buy an OS off there, way too many things can go wrong with an OS and it may take months for you find out you where had. eBay's get what pay for or your money back is only for the first 30 days.

    But I also sell there, and I know how people are if they can take advantage of something (most) will.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8 Pro - 64bit


    The issue you have is due to having a non-compatible third-party theme activated. If you restore the default theme, the context menu is back.

    Remember, always revert to default settings before doing an important update. Only this way you'll know this kind of issues. It's the downside with unofficial customization, sometimes it screws up things.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
No Context Menu in Modern UI
Related Threads
Context menu for playto in General Support
I must have clicked on something :mad: I used to have a "Playto" in the context menu when right clicking on a video, for some reason it is now missing, Anyone any ideas how to get it back.
I installed the leaked official Windows 8.1 Pro x64 update 1 package. Guuuuys, would somebody be so kind and tell me how to resize my tiles? After the update, when trying to right click a tile Windows doesn't list me any options...nothing! What the Fluff!!! I can't remove, update or change any...
Hi, I wanna edit my context menu (right click). I wanna do this kind of things: -Add a "create new folder" or "create new text document" below the "New" option, so I don't have to do "New/wait it load/select option" -Delete some Winrar options, such as "compress and email..." and many other...
[MOD] Context Menu Tools in Customization
I'd like to post some scripts that will add a couple nice menus to your context menu. What It Does: Adds some useful shortcuts to the menu that appears when you right click on your desktop background or in a folder. Adds quick access to the menu that appears when you right click your...
Hi All, I have seen screenshots where people have network connections when they right click on the start menu. I am trying to figure out how to add it. Any ideas? My Context Menu: http://cdn.thenextweb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/11/Capture.png Others' Menu:...
Lost context menu in Performance & Maintenance
I lost a context menu in the desktop file explorer. The "New" right-click context menu is missing some entries. Right now when I right-click, I only get "Folder" as an option in the "New"context menu. This is on my Samsung slate running the 90 day RTM evaluation. I have the same evaluation running...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook