Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Widows 8 problem: start button disappears behind app butto

  1. #1


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8

    Widows 8 problem: start button disappears behind app butto


    Hello!

    Whenever I login on Windows 8, the start menu-button disappears behind the app-button (that is used to switch to the app screen). In other words, the buttons "merge" together, which means that I can never press the start-menu button. I have taken a screenshot of the problem, which I have uploaded here:
    http://postimg.org/image/n4vcc3ful/
    (you can see the button in the left corner at the bottom of the screen).

    Does anyone know how to solve this? It would be highly appreciated!


    Best regards,
    Fredrik

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    I don't see a problem, the Start button is fully visible.

    You can post images here rather than use another site. Click on the Go Advanced button then use the Paperclip icon to browse for and upload images. Once uploaded, close the Paperclip window then click on the arrow to the rioght of the Paperclip icon and you will see the image you uploaded. Click on it to insert into your post.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    if i under stand the post correctly ,if you cant see the start menu button and you are using anything but a tablet ,you could always hit the windows key on you keyboard
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I'm thinking the OP has a third party program installed to get a Windows 7 style Start Menu. The taskbar Icon to launch it is being covered by the Windows Start Orb used to launch the Start Screen. That is preventing him from launching his Start Menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I'm thinking the OP has a third party program installed to get a Windows 7 style Start Menu. The taskbar Icon to launch it is being covered by the Windows Start Orb used to launch the Start Screen. That is preventing him from launching his Start Menu.
    i finally installed classic shell on my vmware win8 install just to see what it looked like and i think you might be right ,so if it is i think the 3rd party app can be set to not show the windows start orb
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I'm thinking the OP has a third party program installed to get a Windows 7 style Start Menu. The taskbar Icon to launch it is being covered by the Windows Start Orb used to launch the Start Screen. That is preventing him from launching his Start Menu.
    i finally installed classic shell on my vmware win8 install just to see what it looked like and i think you might be right ,so if it is i think the 3rd party app can be set to not show the windows start orb
    There has been at least one other thread/post on this issue. I do believe the solution was a setting like you mention to turn the Windows Orb off or hid it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    If Classic Shell doesn't work as it should, which puts the Classic Shell Start button next to the Windows 8.1 Start button, try Stardock's Start8. It's only $4.99 and worth the money.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    The op picture:

    Click image for larger version

    I can replicate the issue:

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    If Classic Shell doesn't work as it should, which puts the Classic Shell Start button next to the Windows 8.1 Start button, try Stardock's Start8. It's only $4.99 and worth the money.
    i only used it once or twice ,and iam not at my windows computer right now,but iam sure that there is a setting to remove windows 8 start button from the taskbar and just have the classic start button
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    If Classic Shell doesn't work as it should, which puts the Classic Shell Start button next to the Windows 8.1 Start button, try Stardock's Start8. It's only $4.99 and worth the money.
    i only used it once or twice ,and iam not at my windows computer right now,but iam sure that there is a setting to remove windows 8 start button from the taskbar and just have the classic start button
    This setting might do the trick:

    Click image for larger version

    You can still get the charms bar by pressing Windows Key+C.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Widows 8 problem: start button disappears behind app butto
Related Threads
Start button disappears in General Support
(I am running 8.1 on an MSI GT60 2OC) Ive seen this on the forum alot but found no resolve, mine is like this, Everything will be fine for a good while and at some point when I switch to the start menu after scrolling my mouse out of the bottom left corner and off of the start button, the task bar...
Read more at source: Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu | Microsoft - CNET News
Hi how do i get back the start menu instead of the start screen, and I want to disable the start screen. help thanks :D andrea
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to Windows 8, which I've been using from the desktop as I can't get on with the Start menu and its tiles. Not using Start8. Anyway, I was using the desktop taskbar with its Start button and Show desktop button and today they have both disappeared. How...
dear readers,, on my other notebook, dekstop's menu disappears on start,but i can find it on all apps, how ca i get it back? thanks, regards 15365 15366 *consider that dekstop's menu disappears from the picture :))
i just got windows 8 pro w/ media center installed in my 32-bit operating system, x64-based processor, my problem is my computer occasionally stop with white screen and I have no option but to unplugged it and restart. I also got this info that startup programs (TiWorker.exe) is causing windows to...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook