Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


W 8.1 update 1 on SSD - WIMBoot

  1. #1


    Posts : 13
    win 8.1

    W 8.1 update 1 on SSD - WIMBoot


    I don't know whether anybody has working WIMBoot installation of W 8.1 so looking for opinions.
    Perhaps people running VM's could compare to traditional install.
    link here Microsoft details space-saving WIMBoot for Windows 8.1 | bit-tech.net

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Sunnyvale, CA USA
    Posts : 283
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64-bit)


    WIMBoot prerequisites preclude installs on 'rotational devices'. I don't know if that applies to VM's.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 13
    win 8.1


    well, in such a case we'll have to wait for data much longer.
    i'm watching my 8.1 grow fast, too fast to be comfortable with my decision to get 120g SSD
    so when i found out about WIMBoot it immedietely sparked my interest.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 13
    win 8.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    I don't remember what size a clean install of win8.1 was on my original install on my main drive , ,but I have win8.1 enterprise installed on vm virtualbox I creted a 25gig vdrive ,he's how it shows in windows explorer after the install .total disk size - 24.5 ,and free space as 15.9

    my computer is not uefi bios ,not sure if that even matters

    Edit- it does matter if it uefi,it only works on computers that have uefi
    Last edited by caperjack; 19 Apr 2014 at 12:18.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 13
    win 8.1


    WIMBoot is new in win 8.1 Update 1 - supposed to make working installations on small SSD feasible.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by PawelC View Post
    WIMBoot is new in win 8.1 Update 1 - supposed to make working installations on small SSD feasible.
    yupp thanks , we already know that ,questions is has anyone tried yet and did it actually work
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by PawelC View Post
    well, in such a case we'll have to wait for data much longer.
    i'm watching my 8.1 grow fast, too fast to be comfortable with my decision to get 120g SSD
    so when i found out about WIMBoot it immedietely sparked my interest.
    I'm running win8.1 on a 120gig ssd drive ,and for me space is ok, i store all my personal data on a regular 500gig sata drive ,and I dont run /install many programs anyway ,so I'm ok, but yes it would take long to use up the 120gig if you install a lot of programs and store a lot of data
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PawelC View Post
    well, in such a case we'll have to wait for data much longer.
    i'm watching my 8.1 grow fast, too fast to be comfortable with my decision to get 120g SSD
    so when i found out about WIMBoot it immedietely sparked my interest.
    I'm running win8.1 on a 120gig ssd drive ,and for me space is ok, i store all my personal data on a regular 500gig sata drive ,and I dont run /install many programs anyway ,so I'm ok, but yes it would take long to use up the 120gig if you install a lot of programs and store a lot of data
    I have a 128 GB SSD for my OS in my laptop, my Data is on a separate 256 GB SSD. Lots of room left on my 128 GB SSD. I don't game on my laptop though. On my desktop PC my OS partition is 128 GB, right now it shows 32 GB free. I have some games installed on that PC which are likely eating up a lot of that space. Right now I'm wishing I had made my OS partition bigger. As they say YMMV.

    I'm thinking Boot from WIM will have some tradeoffs. Boot time may be longer and performance may suffer. A lot of OS pointers will be pointed at the WIM file. It doesn't look to be all that easy to setup either. I personally wouldn't attempt it unless I had too. If somebody wants to try it and prove me wrong though I cool with that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
W 8.1 update 1 on SSD - WIMBoot
Related Threads
Hello, I'm having problems with a certain update (KB2990967) that keeps showing up in as I check for updates in windows update. Is sucessfully intalled but as I check for updates again, it shows up (even after a reboot). Unfortunally I'm not receiving anymore updates other than that one. ...
I just reinstalled 8 on a ssd and tried to install 8.1 from the store but it says i need to update windows first. I tried running windows update but i get an error saying "Windows could not search for new updates" error code 80240440. I tried everything I could find online and nothing seems to...
WimBoot in Installation & Setup
Hello, With windows XP support ended, I would like to replace my virtual Windows XP used for connecting to VPN by a Windows 8. My virtual XP is 4GB of size and I really like that, faster to copy and backup. Now I just saw this neat feature WimBoot. I quickly looked at the process and it seems...
I was running Windows XP previously and I was using a D-Link DWL-G650 rev.B wireless card. The card itself worked just fine during the activation process but once Windows boots, it says the device fails to start. I do see in Windows Update that there is an update for this device. I can uninstall...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook