Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Elevated Command Prompt window opens and closes instantly

  1. #11


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    You have to make a shortcut of the .exe on the desktop, then go to Properties > Advanced of that shortcut and tick the little 'run as admin' box. Now you can run it from the shortcut in admin mode.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    You have to make a shortcut of the .exe on the desktop, then go to Properties > Advanced of that shortcut and tick the little 'run as admin' box. Now you can run it from the shortcut in admin mode.
    Tried that with cmd, calc and cleanmgr. Each one opened and closed instantly.

    I'm thinking about just taking a few hours to do a complete installation of Windows 8.1 from scratch. Haven't done one since W8 Pro first hit MSDN. Should probably fix a few other problems that I've been dealing with post-update, such as LogMeIn immediately disconnecting my client upon connection. That is, unless someone here happens to have another idea.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Not having the Run as Administrator option is in itself a problem. It should be there.
    Are you using an Administrator level account?

    Click image for larger version

    See if this can bring it back for you: Run as Administrator - Add or Remove from Context Menu in Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums

    It's for Win 7 but should also work for Win 8 and 8.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    Not having the Run as Administrator option is in itself a problem. It should be there.
    Are you using an Administrator level account?

    Click image for larger version

    See if this can bring it back for you: Run as Administrator - Add or Remove from Context Menu in Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums

    It's for Win 7 but should also work for Win 8 and 8.1.
    And that just did the trick across the board . It turns out that the Take Ownership content menu tweak went in place of Run as Administrator, which messed things up. Everything's working as it should. My issue with LogMeIn was also instantly fixed. Thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Excellent!

    Looked at Brink's Take Ownership tutorial, has this in it:

    3. To Add "Take Ownership" to Context Menu including EXE Files

    Note
    This step will also replace Run as administrator with Take Ownership in the context menu of .exe files.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    Excellent!

    Looked at Brink's Take Ownership tutorial, has this in it:

    3. To Add "Take Ownership" to Context Menu including EXE Files

    Note
    This step will also replace Run as administrator with Take Ownership in the context menu of .exe files.
    Ah--it all makes sense now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    For sure. Funny I never saw that before. Guess I didn't read all the way through.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Elevated Command Prompt window opens and closes instantly
Related Threads
How to Open an Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 8 A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands at the command prompt, you can perform tasks on your computer without using the Windows graphical interface. This tutorial...
Hi all, I am trying to run CoreInfo.exe to see if my processor supports Hyper-V before paying msoft for win8-pro, but win8.0 slams the CMD window shut instantly. I have searched and tried all suggestions but still it flashes open then closed. Failed: Elevated command prompt Failed: CMD ...
Whenever I run defrag this happens: 18904 It goes away after about 0.1 second and I can't read what it says (it goes by to fast) Why, and how do I fix?
I am trying to use a system drive to store Refresh Images on. I can share the drive & access it from the Desktop & Command Prompt but not the Elevated Command Prompt. Just thought it would be easier than having a USB drive attached & hitting the battery.
in fresh paint when you select save as the bar pops up but then closes instantly. in mail when trying to attach a file the bar pops up but then closes instantly. it happens in other places too! :cool:
Hey all, Been quite a while since I've posted here, but an odd problem has come up for me. Overall Windows 8 has been great and problem-free, but I'm stuck on this one. For some reason, when I open the Run box, it says "This task will be created with administrative privileges" as if I had...
Solved elevated command prompt...huh? in General Support
how do I open an elevated command prompt?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook