Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


A little rude Of MS

  1. #11


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Open the Charms Bar and click Settings. Then click Change PC settings. Now go to OneDrive and then to Sync settings. Now go all the way to the bottom of the list and see if "Back up your settings for this PC" is turned ON. If you turn the "Sync your settings on this PC" at the top of the list Off, everything is disabled.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro


    Still concerned about the following statements:

    I know enough to do a clean job, I did a UEFI install.
    What media did you use to do your clean install?

    The names of my Start Screen Groups are pretty offensive, for whatever reason.
    Did you ever create those offensive names yourself? If not, see my first post.

    I have an OEM bought with an SSD from my stockist. I save $100 per operating system this way and I always buy new hardware. I don't know how it works anywhere else but in Australia all you need to buy to get an OEM OS is a piece of hardware that makes up a PC e.x. CD ROM HDD RAM etc, either or.
    So, did you get a Win 8.x installation disc with all the above? I still don't see how you managed to do a clean install? In the USA, we're lucky to get OEM recovery discs with a purchase. If not, we just create them as part of the initial setup. It almost sounds like you might have done an OEM recovery of sorts instead of a clean install. They are two completely different animals.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by SpringUpdate View Post
    Still concerned about the following statements:

    I know enough to do a clean job, I did a UEFI install.
    What media did you use to do your clean install?

    The names of my Start Screen Groups are pretty offensive, for whatever reason.
    Did you ever create those offensive names yourself? If not, see my first post.

    I have an OEM bought with an SSD from my stockist. I save $100 per operating system this way and I always buy new hardware. I don't know how it works anywhere else but in Australia all you need to buy to get an OEM OS is a piece of hardware that makes up a PC e.x. CD ROM HDD RAM etc, either or.
    So, did you get a Win 8.x installation disc with all the above? I still don't see how you managed to do a clean install? In the USA, we're lucky to get OEM recovery discs with a purchase. If not, we just create them as part of the initial setup. It almost sounds like you might have done an OEM recovery of sorts instead of a clean install. They are two completely different animals.
    OEM media is way cheaper than the Retail version of Windows. Some retailers require you to buy a piece of hardware to get it. At one time you had to buy a PC to get the OEM version of Windows. I bought the OEM version of Windows 7 from Tiger Direct to save a few bucks. There are restrictions on what you can do with OEM install media versus the full Retail version. It sounds to me like the OP bought an OEM DVD for Windows 8.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Gold Coast (Australia)
    Posts : 702
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Yeah thanks Alpha.

    Yes a brand spanking new packaged out of the box you bute! 100% certified & branded blue disk face holographic labeled OEM 8.1

    Yes the offensive names are mine, thats how I knew (apart from the custom start screen) that the system settings had been copied to cloud.

    In Australia we only have to pay $30 for a crappy cdrom and we can pay half price for an OS. OEM laws are obviously different here. As long as you buy a backbone piece of hardware that is needed to build a pc, you're eligible
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by antspants View Post
    Yeah thanks Alpha.

    Yes a brand spanking new packaged out of the box you bute! 100% certified & branded blue disk face holographic labeled OEM 8.1

    Yes the offensive names are mine, thats how I knew (apart from the custom start screen) that the system settings had been copied to cloud
    I do believe some of those options I pointed too, show up during installation with the option to turn them off. I know for me it lists each on the computer names for my other PC's I have in my Live ID and asks me which one I want to sync too. I also get the option to set it up as a new PC. I do backup my PC settings to OneDrive. I like to sync Metro Apps across all my PC's. I do turn things off like my Tile layout. If I don't they keep getting rearranged due to each PC having different screen resolutions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro


    Yes the offensive names are mine, thats how I knew
    Your initial comments regarding the above would lead one to believe you had no idea where they came from or how they got there. That is why I was so concerned; however, now that you have clarified they are yours (and you knew that all along), my concern (regarding same) appears to have been a waste of time.
    Last edited by SpringUpdate; 14 Apr 2014 at 15:44.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Gold Coast (Australia)
    Posts : 702
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by SpringUpdate View Post
    Yes the offensive names are mine, thats how I knew
    Your initial comments regarding the above would lead one to believe you had no idea where they came from or how they got there. That is why I was so concerned; however, now that you have clarified they are yours (and you knew that all along), my concern (regarding same) appears to have been a waste of time.
    Looking at my post yes, I am not very good with punctuation or proper English, being Australian its kind of common. I do aplologise, my intention was not to waste your time, however your time is truly appreciated Spring.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Gold Coast (Australia)
    Posts : 702
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    There are restrictions on what you can do with OEM install media versus the full Retail version. It sounds to me like the OP bought an OEM DVD for Windows 8.1.
    Ive never had any restrictions, what sort mate?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by antspants View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    There are restrictions on what you can do with OEM install media versus the full Retail version. It sounds to me like the OP bought an OEM DVD for Windows 8.1.
    Ive never had any restrictions, what sort mate?
    It's not restricted in features if that's what your wondering. It's not transferable to another PC once activated though. Retail versions can be moved to another PC. There are restrictions on the tech support offered by Microsoft too. There is no phone in support for OEM versions. The OEM, Dell, HP, Acer, ASUS etc are responsible for the tech support on the PC's they sell with an OEM install. In your case you are your tech support. OEM versions have a different EULA than Retail versions. It will tell you what and what you can't do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Gold Coast (Australia)
    Posts : 702
    Windows 8.1 x64


    OK yeah. Theres a gray area (the way I see it) with upgrading components etc. For instance, a new motherboard, if one gets fried, and then replaced, Ive never had an issue, unless they want to dig into the mac address or whatever it is a motherboard has, Phone activation support has never hassled me and I am always 100% honest. But yes I am aware of those restrictions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
A little rude Of MS
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook